Notices

Hump day thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hump day thread

It's that magical time of the week. Many have survived the past weekend and are cruising through the week. I'm sure many have heard it at work - HUMP DAY. People are starting to wind down for the weekend and making plans.
This may trigger some into the "Why can't I play?" routine. And we start to think of reasons we can drink rather than reasons we know we should not.
Get those thoughts out of you head. The weekender thread starts tomorrow.
But if you are having trouble today thinking about the weekend - or anything -
post you concerns and let's talk about it.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was thinking it was a do over on Monday this morning. Running around crazy, forgot things I needed, it's gray, rainy and chilly. All things I used to think I needed a weekend of drinking to set right. These days I come on SR and text friends to remind myself that things get better.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Thanks Brain, I am having a hellacious week and the mid-week blues for sure!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ive heard hump day a few times today and didnt have a clue now i know what it means

Thanks L
Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thanks, Brain)

I made a phone call today that I had been terrified to make for more than a month! So it's pretty good hump day for me.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Been a busy week here, too. New sales project at work under tight scrutiny. Laundry, cleaning, grocery stores, fixing the car....that little AV wants to chirp up: "You deserve some fun, dude. Where's your reward?"

Not today.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, LBrain; great post.

Let's get thinking about sober weekend activities!!!!!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is having a great hump day!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go making that phone call MB! I'm not big on tough phone calls and would describe myself as mildly phone phobic.

Wrapping up before going into office.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hump day rocks!!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Psyche yourself up to say no to drinking.

My good deed today. I went to get broccoli and a few things. As I was leaving I spoke to my neighbor who was changing the pads on his breaks. When I returned home I saw a dejected person staring in disbelief and his car was on the hubs. Both front wheels removed. So I spent an hour getting him through it. He didn't chock the wheels etc. Took about five minute surveying the situation to come up with a plan. Breaks are fine, wheels are on and car is ready to drive.

When I come in I am greeted by a happy person talking about the Culture Club coming to some music fest. Talking about putting on the flamboyant makeup and hair thing.
She heard about it from a friend at school on facebook. Okay, I found it - not until August, so relax already. And Boy George ain't the same as he was 30 years ago btw. He's now Man George. I heard some of his new stuff under his O'Dowd name. Pretty good.

Make it over the hump and coast into the weekend. Just don't let your guard down.

btw, my neighbor besides thanks said, "I owe you a beer or two." I said, that's okay I gave up drinking a year ago. Haven't had a beer since 2013! No celebration beers for helping the neighbor out of a jam. Have a nice day is good enough for me.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go Brain! It's great that you could hep your neighbor with his brakes. What a nightmare.

I can't imagine that Boy George looks at all the same as thirty years ago. But, things change. The lineup for lollapalooza was announced this morning. Paul McCartney, Metallica. No Culture Club. But they need the golden oldies to headline. I saw a guy who plays as Shakey Graves listed in the line up and I just heard a song by him on the radio for the first time yesterday. I liked it. If you go to the Lolla site they have full length videos for each of the artists playing. A good way to check out some new music.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Brain!
Happy hump day!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Awesome Sauce!!!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

fyi Ruby, I didn't help with brakes. Brakes were done when car decided to come crashing down from the jacks before he put wheels back on. It was a car rescue. Lucky he didn't get seriously injured when the car fell.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
fyi Ruby, I didn't help with brakes. Brakes were done when car decided to come crashing down from the jacks before he put wheels back on. It was a car rescue. Lucky he didn't get seriously injured when the car fell.
Glad nobody was hurt and that was very nice of you to help out.

Also, thanks for this thread.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thought I would join over here since Lbrain mentioned talking things out if we were thinking about drinking.

AV has been chirping a lot about the upcoming weekend and I really need to get my head on straight before this weekend. Some things have recently set AV off and I was really hoping to get insight from you all.

One issue that set AV off in a major way is that I saw an article that 4+ months sobriety is still considered to be "early recovery". I have considered 4+ months to be a major accomplishment since it is over a third of a year. However, seeing this article made me feel that maybe the sobriety time I have been working so hard at, isn't really an accomplishment at all. AV has been saying, "well if you drink, it's not like you can't start over again since you're only in early recovery any ways. Anyone can get 4 months easily. Why would you still be in early recovery if it was a major accomplishment to get 4 months"?

The only things that are keeping me going is that starting over kicks up the cravings which will result in 2 weeks of cravings hell, I will lose the progress I have made, will probably have a killer hangover and stupid stuff tends to occur when drinking. However, I am concerned since an important aspect of my sobriety and desire to move forward has suddenly felt like it got "quashed". To move beyond early recovery is a little less than 8 months away. This is intimidating since it's almost twice the time than what I have now.

Lbrain-You were very kind to help your neighbor.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, that’s a load of crap. That’s AV talk for sure. I guess for me, drinking for 40 years, 4 months is just a blip. But it was a difficult four months. So don’t think it is not a major accomplishment. IT IS!
You are getting through the toughest part of it. And don’t think you can just start over and get right back to four months. There are people who thought that and it took them another four years to get back to four months.
It just isn’t worth giving it a second thought!

The definition of early "recovery" is up to interpretation. Sure, it's early. I've heard veterans with five years also claim they were still in early sobriety/recovery.

Don't downplay what you have already accomplished.

4 MONTHS IS MAJOR!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Lbrain!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Strat - 4 months is indeed major! I think it's called "early recovery" so that people don't get too cocky or something. Regardless, you can't speed this kind of thing up...it's impossible! Kind of like growing a tree. Now is when you develop those strong healthy roots, it's super important to stay sober no matter what. Because when people start slippin' at 4 months, it doesn't take too long to get back to the bottom of the hill. And we all know starting over sucks! We've all been at 4 months, many of us haven't got there yet and consider you a veteran!