Notices

I'm a mess.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a mess.

I'm hope that if someday I get the crazy idea it's okay to have another drink, I find this post instead.

I am a mess on day three. In the last ten years I've gone a day here or a day there sober, and even 3-4 days on occasion. I guess I've crossed the line! My body is hurting and my mind is spinning. I feel like I am crawling out of my skin. I don't believe I've ever been so emotional like this. I spent my forty minute ride into the office crying and telling myself "just get through this and never go back". I'm now in my office clinging to my ipad for dear life. I have a pretty high power position in my company and cannot afford to cry all day! Did i really do this to myself? Did I really let it get this bad? I know it will get better, or maybe worse first, so I will just keep going. I am going to be okay and better for it, right?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A ton of people have made it through this. You are not alone. You have the power to get through this and come out stronger.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been told day 3 and 4 are the toughest ones, so just hang in there, it'll get better.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You be just fine. Remember, anxiety is severe when quitting drinking. It will pass. Hang in there.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, you will get better and be a happier, healthier person for it, but your body and mind have to adjust to the lack of alcohol. Be prepared for nightmares and irritability after the weepy phase.

Any chance you can take some time off from work?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It'll get better Komplex. Hang in there. The first few days are the hardest. I cried a lot too. Everywhere. Ugh.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 3 Komplex it gets better your doing really well
Old 03-25-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi.

At first it is a struggle but remember you are not alone because of the support here and at places like AA meetings.
Doing things alone can be very difficult and painful. I chose a path many years ago that helped my concern of not suffering well.

Life is still happening when we sober up, the deal is how we adjust to it in a sane manner and that was softened by my repeating many times, “accept the things I cannot change, even if.”

BE WELL
Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on being at Day 3. It'll get better soon. Just make it through today and I have a feeling tomorrow will be better.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It will get better. Keep your iPad with you. I've been where you are twice. The first time I didn't realize it was the quitting drinking that was causing it. You have an advantage there. Eat something if you haven't. Deep rhythmic breaths. In and out, in and out. Relax your shoulders.

Hang in there!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go for a long walk

Do something to distract yourself
Old 03-25-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Komplex- I hear you! I'm on day 18 and trying to keep it going at work has been the hardest for me while I'm going through the ups and downs of these early days. Here is what I have found that works:
1) remind myself this is 100% better than how it was at work hung over.
2) staying hydrated, always a glass of water at my desk or in hand
3) taking frequent breaks to get away from over stimulation and office lighting. Go outside for a 10-15 minute walk as much as possible
4) Find someone to have a quick chat with about something they are struggling with - takes my focus off me for a while.
5) being really kind to myself - I've been canceling things and rescheduling as much as possible to just give me some time to heal. Don't get overwhelmed.
6)Right now, my goal is just to at least accomplish three works tasks a day. Something concrete I can check off my list (even if its just responding to an indepth email).
7)don't look too far ahead. Just get through today. At home, I take care of myself, good food, early bedtime, reading and journaling, whatever makes me feel pampered.

Be good to yourself. You deserve it. Treat yourself like you have the flu, and know that you will get better. You just need some time right now. We all do.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its normal, its part of the process. Completely normal. Hang in there and has been said before, you only have to do once and never go back. Stay strong.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first week is the worst. Get thru this and it will start getting better. The anxiety is just your brain screaming for alcohol. Don't give in! It will get easier.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It gets better I promise. I'm on day 31 and never thought I could make it. Push through these feelings. I know you have an important position, but maybe you could take a few hours off work? Do something relaxing and for you? You could even just take a 15 minute break and walk. Clear the mind. Remind yourself of why you quit and where you want to go. Good luck 😊
Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with Awakening. Last week, my first week sober after a particularly lousy binge, I just treated myself as if I were sick. I WAS kind of sick, at least mentally out of it with stress and anxiety, so it wasn't that hard. Just take time for yourself as much as you can. Obviously at work that is hard, but don't worry if you feel frazzled. You can always pass it off that your allergies are starting to act up or just that you have stuff going on outside of work that has you a little down. They are both kind of true Hang in there! It will get better and I hope you do remember to find this post when the cravings hit again. This forum has been very helpful to me to keep me grounded the last ten days and I am very thankful for it. I wish you all the best!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your kind words. There is a lot of really helpful an reassuring advice here I will focus on using.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm sorry it's so rough today. Every time I've quit I've felt pretty terrible physically until about the fifth day, and then I feel much better. Echoing what others have said, maybe it would help to treat yourself as kindly as possible, take it easy, watch movies, whatever you can do to relax and get through the next couple of days. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hang in there...it will get better!
3 days is great! Be proud, and be kind to yourself!