Notices

This is my second relapse, i'm 27 with bad anxiety

Old 03-24-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is my second relapse, i'm 27 with bad anxiety

I have been a heavy drinker for years. Usually going through a bottle of whiskey every day. I would hide my drinking from my family, who, for the most part, still don't know how much I actually drank. I'ts only been 2 days of sobriety. I really don't feel like ever going back, mostly as a result of how much anxiety. I remember very distinctly my first time quitting after being a major drinker was due to figuring out my anxiety was caused by my heavy drinking. However, now it has come back with this most recent quitting. Reading some things online, it has been difficult whether or not to tell if I have been drinking so long that my brain will be like this forever. But reading a few posts on this website gave me a little hope, which feels like a lot right now. I don't feel like I am going to drink again this time. It sucks because when i'm feeling good, or stable, it's all I can think about. Which is easier to manage than a gd panic attack.
From between <21 to now at 27, I have also drank myself into health problems. Some of which I probably don't know the full extent of. Gallbladder problems, kidney stones, gout, weight gain.
I really want/need a new lease on life. However, trying to maintain that attitude for a better existence is complicated when you are in constant fear of anything. Like on edge, waiting for the hat to drop.
I guess i'm just here to introduce myself and look for some support. I've never tried anything like this before. I'm currently trying some holistic stuff, "coffea cruda" and "Ignatia Amara". I had once been on Citalopram which I really messed with my head the first time I tried to quit while still drinking heavy. I once used a 7 tablet proscription of lorazepam 1mg, which I would usually use half of one when I had an anxiety attack.

Can anyone recommend something else like that that could help? Or anything else? I'm starting to move around more, but I think I need to work out properly.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you talked to your doctor about this? I sure wish I would have. I went to an inpatient rehab this time around and spilled everything and the detox was much easier and I could focus on getting well. They dealt with my depression as well and I am still amazed at how balanced and normal my life is when I take my medication as prescribed. Don't get me wrong-I have some big issues I'm facing but I'm not facing them alone-and I don't have to.

Welcome. I'm so glad you are here.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Turboflange

I didn't use any meds when I quit.
We can certainly share our experience but we can't recommend meds for you here anyway as it's against our rules.

A doctor would be your best bet for medication advice if you're worried about withdrawal

I think any lasting success in staying sober lies in finding support and using it effectively, especially when you're in trouble.

You'll find a ton of support here

Be prepared to make life changes too - as you grow to become comfortable with being sober you'll find your old drinking life won't fit anymore.

I don't think you'll lose out on the deal

D
Old 03-25-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Turbo! I see an addiction counseller and find it very helpful and one of my issues is anxiety, which to some extent is where my drinking took off - i.e. drinking to relieve it. I realised in due course that drinking actually increases anxiety levels in the end.

Anyway the point of this is that my addiction counseller has been teaching me some methods of relaxation in order to reduce anxiety. These include 'grounding' and similar modern types of meditation. I also found a brilliant app which is an aid to meditation.

It is early days for me but I feel these are positive steps for dealing with my anxiety levels. Perhaps worth considering.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Turboflange its nice to meet you
Old 03-25-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome turbo!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Nice to meet you, I hope it works out for you. You are young still and even though you drank a lot I bet you will come out of this okay that is if you stop drinking any and all alcohol for good.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Time is on your side,my turbo! Make the most of it and get the help you need. Best wishes!!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi turbo and welcome. There is lots of support here. Congratulations on your first two days.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Vitamins really helped me. Multi, extra b group. Magnesium at night really helps. Hang in there. You can do it.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Turbo!

I think you have the right idea going holistic but I certainly think going to a doctor is important. "Tension Tamer" tea has been really helpful when my anxiety starts buzzing.

Exercise has been a huge part of what has kept me going. It has been a great way for me to get out the emotions that would build up and gives me visible results of my actions.

Also, posting here has allowed me to vent and get many opinions when I am not sure what I am doing. Glad you found us.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Turboflange, as we are not allowed to give medical advice all I can offer besides seeing a doctor is to take care of yourself. Many have tried certain vitamin supplements. I actually never took anything besides a multivitamin for a spell.

But that's not why I responded. Regardless of what is or has been a factor in your anxiety, alcohol will do nothing but exacerbate the situation.

As for the damage you think you may have done, do not take a defeatist stance on this. The human body is amazing. It will heal itself if taken care of.

Do not be frustrated if you do not realize your expectations immediately. It does take time. There are many factors involved, but time is the overall best medicine. Do not give up in a few months, it took me 9 months to start feeling normal again. I was drinking for a dozen years before you were born and quit only a year ago.

Second thing is your anxiety. If that is your picture in your avatar, I can see why you are anxious. Cats pass off their traits to their owners. The more cats you have the worse it is. Maybe?

Please see a medical doctor. Hold nothing back.
You don't take your car to a mechanic and have them guess why you brought it in. Don't lie to the doctor. They can't help if they don't know everything.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Turboflange!!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi turboflange. I can relate to your story. I am 34 and have been drinking pretty heavily for around 10 years. I drank before that but not as much as it has been in the past 10 years. I drink or drank to cope with my anxiety. I also worry like you do that I may have screwed up my brain and maybe my anxiety will never go away now. I know that most likely will not be the case but with my mind I worry about that a lot. I have read many posts here and most of them say that when they stopped drinking their anxiety lessened so I am holding onto that hope. As far as something to cope with anxiety, well I wish I knew. I will say I think exercise helps and if I cant sleep I take melatonin. My new doctor gave me klonopin but I am so afraid of getting addicted to it I rarely take it. Anyway its nice to meet you. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support and advice. It's going smoother today for some reason. Which makes it stressful because as soon as I feel better (I.e. not sick or traumatically worried) my mind still goes right to drinking. It's tricky.

as for my avatar, I uploaded the wrong image and haven't figured out how to change it. lol
Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Click on 'user CP' at upper left corner. Then click on 'edit avatar'. Should do it.

Welcome to the family.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"Only" two days?

Write that with enthusiasm.

Dispose of the word Only.

Capitalize the "t" and "d" place an exclamation point at the end "!"

That's how you should have posted

"Two Days !"
Old 03-25-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't know what kind of anxiety you have, whetever is generalized, social phobia or something else. I have both, and trust me, your brain will not always be like this. I'm living proof.

Alcohol increases anxiety. That's a fact. So, obviously, quit.

Excercise. Go for walks/hikes. Cognitive therapy also works wonders if you find the right therapist. I was sceptical at first, but it turns out you do learn techniques that work well. As long as you ABSTAIN from alcohol.

Sure, I still have anxiety. Fear is a feeling. Feel the fear, and take comfort in knowing that you can reduce the feeling by shifting focus or thoughts (because thoughts control feelings).

Another thing my therapist so non-chalante told me that I can "just disregard it". Ignore the anxiety. It sounds odd, but it is in many cases effective.

Ok, now I start to sound like a therapist, lol. Of course, everyone is different and everyone has to be evaluated individually, but these are some of the things that worked for me.

Congrats on 2 days! Keep it up. It will get better