Detachment phases

Old 03-24-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detachment phases

I am looking for detachment phases that can be used everyday.

What have you used that is effective or does anyone know of a web site with common phases?

Thanks

Cricket
Old 03-24-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The 3rd Step Prayer helped me a lot...and I had to repeat it a lot.

God, I offer myself to you - to build with me and to do with me according to Your will. Relieve me from the bondage of Self, that I may better do Your will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Your Power, Your Love, and Your Way of Life. May I do Your will always.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Detachment for Addicts:

Have you done the Rational Recovery Crash Course? You can find it by doing a Web Search.

Also, do a Web Search for 'Real Meditation for Real Alcoholics' - the website, then find the link on the right 'Real Meditation for Real Alcoholics'
Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

“The root of suffering is attachment”……The Buddha

Today I accept the flow of life and I freely release any attachment to the outcome…..A Leigh Edwards

Letting go does not mean you stop caring. It means you stop trying to force others to….

The Law of Detachment…
Allow yourself and others the freedom to be who they are.
Do not force solutions – allow solutions to spontaneously emerge.
Uncertainty is essential, and your path to freedom……Deepak Chopra
Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

captainawkward.com has great scripts, but they can be pretty situation specific:

My favorites are "Okay." And "Have fun." And "Great," and "Good for you." And "Oh?" And "Interesting." And "Hm." I don't have to agree with anything people tell me, or try to talk them out of it or reason with them or argue.

Don't offer details, just decline and go about your business.

Sorry, can’t make it, but have a great time!
No thanks, but have fun!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to work in an incredibly busy TGIFridays back in the day. It was non-stop human interaction at a very high intense level.

It is where I learned to do just what Florence wrote above. Agree or acknowledge and keep moving. Otherwise drunk customers or not-busy employees would start getting chatty and I couldn't invest my time in that and still maintain good service. All they want is some kind of affirmative acknowledgment.

Same with drinking family members or friends. I'll acknowledge that they've spoken, but I'm not getting into a discussion with a drinking person. ANGTFT.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Cricket.....You don't have to JADE.....J-justify A-argue D--defend Or E--explain.
You also don't have to attend every argument that you are invited to.

These are good detachment principles to remember.

I found, that, most of the time....a short utterance was good enough....like...OH?..."I hear you"...."OK"...."How about that"......"Amazing".....THEN, IMMEDIATELY, CHANGING THE SUBJECT....and/or leaving the room for some other purpose.

dandylion
Old 03-24-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Hmmmmm......" "Sorry you feel that way." "How about that." "Crazy." & a lot of stuff the others already mentioned.

Like dandylion, I always found my best bet was to try to guide the conversation in another direction - usually by asking a question that makes the other person stop & think & then lose the thread on the current topic... something that hopefully won't lead to more circular talk.

"How about that. Hey, did you get a chance to look at the broken hinge on that cabinet?"
Old 03-24-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My personal favorites are "thanks, I'll take that into consideration" and "hmm, maybe you're right." I avoid committal statements or decisive statements now and I especially avoid saying that something is right or wrong, even if I know without a shadow of a doubt that something is in fact incorrect, it is generally not my business to correct others.

I use these statements with lots of people now.