Notices

New routines

Old 03-24-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New routines

It's challenging. I still have to meander my way through new things, firsts... night out, saying no to friends, gigs etc but I've made a few little changes which seem silly but it helps. Writing a journal, vitamin routine and healthy breakfast (could never face breakfast before) and before I get up I log onto YouTube and listen to Tom Petty- "I Won't Back Down"! It's like a wee anthem to my recovery. Although I listened to Johnny Cash version today. He struggled with his demons too. Anyone else found similar things helpful?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That all sounds great TomTom - whatever helps.

Coming here everyday was the main thing for me in early recovery- it kept me grounded and focused.

D
Old 03-24-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm pretty similar, I find small routines helpful
I have an app on my phone with 'daily habits' which I make sure I always complete - little things like took my meds and vitamins, walked my dog, ate breakfast and dinner minimum, that all really helps me.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This place is great agreed! And I will check out that app thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was first trying to get sober I litererally took things second by second. Anything that made life easier at that moment in time I went with. Grab those happy moments you feel Tom, before you know it they're there by the bucket load.

Wishing you well.

L x
Old 03-24-2015, 01:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Would never have thought that possible even 10 days ago foolsgold
Old 03-24-2015, 01:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first two weeks I avoided everything that could trigger me and it did help. It also helped me to focus on other things, positive things, like reading magazines, books, reviewing material that is useful in my career of choice.

I actually ended up eating more sugar because I heard that it helped fighting off cravings since beer turns to sugar in body and without getting that sugar you start craving beer but in reality it is your body needing sugar. I just ate my favorite sugars like: Trader Joe Joe's, ice cream, and it somewhat helped Sierra Mist. I am working on getting rid of sugars slowly also because I don't want to trade in one thing that could kill you with another thing that could kill you, both in the long run.

Something else helped me and I thought it wouldn't. After the first week I did things that I would other wise do while drinking and sat with the feelings I had doing it sober. It was very uncomfortable but I got used to the feelings and just enjoyed doing things with out the booze. I listened to the songs that would trigger my drinking, watched the sports, grilled booze free, relaxed without alcohol. You start getting comfortable in your own skin.

These things helped me and if they can help you in dealing with this then I am glad I posted.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That all sounds great TomTom - whatever helps.

Coming here everyday was the main thing for me in early recovery- it kept me grounded and focused.

D
I agree with Dee, in my first two weeks, I was reading on this forum as much as I could to learn from others, and try to help others along the way. In turn that helped me stay focused.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am glad too. I been eating like crazy this past week but will deal with that soon. Crazy dreams and night sweats but that was a lot better last night . Spending your day and energy working your routine around when you can booze really halts your life but now I can plan, work things out, do new things. It's great and well worth it. Thanks GWFlow
Old 03-24-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats TomTom