Notices

Update you guys

Old 03-23-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update you guys

Hi everyone, I haven't been on in a couple weeks or posted anything so I wanted to update you on my status: I am 48 days sober and almost getting to my 50! That is actually quite exciting

I struggled more the last couple of weeks than I have since I began getting sober. Work has been stressful and I wanted to just quit on quitting and have some beers to relax and unwind. My girlfriend helped me through it.. If I were by myself no doubt I would have drank last Friday. We went to dinner, we came home and I was so tired I just went to sleep at 8:30PM (yes, on a Friday, lol).

In the morning we both woke up early and she was happy, always makes me happy, I may not look it with my ugly mug. She told me that she gets worried that if she isn't there I will just quit and that she really loves our relationship right now. She said "this is what I have always wanted from you. I can't remember the last time we argued! It makes me sad to think you would drink in a moment of weakness and return to where you were at."

Made me really think. I am happy... neutral I guess most of the time (does anyone also feel that way?). I live goal-by-goal and day-by-day. I get tired from working hard to reach my goals and I have yet to find other ways that don't require effort to relax me like alcohol.

I am still am and probably will always be a work in progress. I hope you all are well.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats gonewiththeflow

D
Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congratulations on your sober time. That's great.

I must say though, it concerns me that your girlfriend worries that if she isn't there, you will give up and go back to drinking. This is not her burden to carry.

Maybe you should reassure her that you are maintaining sobriety for yourself, so she doesn't feel it's her responsibility?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

48 days is fantastic.

I know what you mean about drinking to relax after a stressful day.

That was on my list of one thousand reasons to drink.

The one that always caused my downfall was drinking to celebrate how long I had been sober and prove to myself I could be a social drinker. Never worked.

You'll have a 100 sober days before you know it.

A happy woman is much more fun than beer.

Congratulations on many more sober days.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Congratulations! Life doesn't usually magically resolve itself when we stop drinking; there's still some effort required on your part, but sobriety makes it much easier.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Congratulation in advance on 50 Day Sobriety!!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasMichael View Post
48 days is fantastic.

I know what you mean about drinking to relax after a stressful day.

That was on my list of one thousand reasons to drink.

The one that always caused my downfall was drinking to celebrate how long I had been sober and prove to myself I could be a social drinker. Never worked.

You'll have a 100 sober days before you know it.

A happy woman is much more fun than beer.

Congratulations on many more sober days.
100 days is my goal but I know you are right: I am fooling myself into thinking I can moderate. I want to remember everything good that has happened in those 100 days so that it can continue to carry me forward.

I also think you are right about my woman being happy

I am proud of all my sober days very very proud!! I didn't think I could do this much and I have surprised myself getting this far but I need to go all the way.

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Congratulations! Life doesn't usually magically resolve itself when we stop drinking; there's still some effort required on your part, but sobriety makes it much easier.
Life sucked as a drinker. I got lazy. I was always chasing the best beer, bar, drink, party with booze, etc. My life revolved around my drinking. Health was bad, hangovers were more like withdrawals, and my brain was wasting away.

I changed that when I decided to stop. I decided to no longer live life around booze but live life around my goals for a better life. Each day I am working to achieve a better me and a better life. Not just being sober but an overall "ME" adjustment: get fit and healthy again, increase my intellect, regain hobbies, be a better human being!

I have put in a lot of effort into these goals and it has been the reason that has carried me to succeed at being sober and being sober has given me mental clarity to work toward them. It's a beautiful cycle. I did have a rough patch, like anyone else, but I still strive to succeed at being sober.

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
Congratulation in advance on 50 Day Sobriety!!
Thank You! I was thinking about my soon to be 50 days. I feel like I should celebrate some how. Hmm, what should I celebrate with?? I love ice cream... Ice cream cake???
Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Congratulations on your sober time. That's great.

I must say though, it concerns me that your girlfriend worries that if she isn't there, you will give up and go back to drinking. This is not her burden to carry.

Maybe you should reassure her that you are maintaining sobriety for yourself, so she doesn't feel it's her responsibility?
I knew one was missing in my multiquote post.

My girl knows this is my struggle, and that I am doing this for me. I tried doing it for her and I failed many times. I think it is the mentality that she has about me. She has this saying that I also believe to be true: "I keep you safe from yourself." I can't help but think of all I have done and could have done if it wasn't that I am with her. If it wasn't for her who knows how my life may have turned out. Sometimes I think those other things would have been fun but that is the little demon inside still wanting to get out.

If you knew her you would know why she would continue to feel the way she does no matter what I told her.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My kids seem to be happier and respect me more and its only a week . Spurs me on . Well done!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomTom75 View Post
My kids seem to be happier and respect me more and its only a week . Spurs me on . Well done!
Glad to hear! Keep it up, I was at that moment to and now I am nearing 7 weeks
Old 03-24-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Gwtf