Notices

One month but disappointed

Old 03-23-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One month but disappointed

So I've reached a month sober. I feel great but disappointed that I haven't lost any weight. I know it takes time but I guess I thought I'd a least a pound or two. I was used to putting 8-10 beers away a day. That alone 1000-1500 calories a day. I'm not on a strict diet but I donated eat horribly. I probably eat better now. So why can't I even lose a pound?!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mathematically you should have.
Unless., like most of us you are eating more sweets or carbs to help counter the early quit.
Drink lots of water, add a little excessive and it will come off.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been drinking water like crazy. My new favorite beverage is sparkling water in a can. I love it. And I have been exercising here and there but need to hear it up. Once a week isn't going to cut it. But tonight is the second night I've done back stretches. Feels good.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Relax, it takes time for the body to get out of shock!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking is already a major achievement. I'd look at the portion sizes and exercise next.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat. Weight loss and getting sober are two goals for me.

I've been getting better and better with exercise, but am finding it hard to eat healthy. I'm trying not to beat myself up over it. Rome wasn't built in a day. Gonna work on getting more comfortable in my sobriety, and then worry about the weight loss. Last summer, I quit for a month, lost no weight, then got on a routine of intense workouts every other day and intense drinking sessions after those weekends. I dropped 15 pounds (halfway to my goal of 30), but then wound up putting all the weight back on as the drinking crept up more and more often.

To avoid that happening again, just trying to go easy on myself about the weight issue.

I'm wrapping up Day 33 of sobriety, which is now a record for me....tho several stints in my under 21 drinking days were longer, I'm sure and the summer of 2007 I didn't drink at all.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't be discouraged! Losing weight is a weird thing. You might stay the same weight for a while and then suddenly drop a few pounds out of nowhere just keep up small but consistent changes to your diet and appetite and you'll see results eventually AND it will be the kind of weight that stays off!

That being said, I've been kind of off my game this first week; skipping the gym, indulging in junk food and comforting myself however I could while I try to make sense of everything. I'm starting to get back to my groove with food and exercise, though, and it feels really good. I'm in such a better mindset when I'm healthy in my body. It's tough when I'm busy, but it really is worth the time investment.

I think you are doing great! The most important thing is that you are finally allowing your body to heal itself from the abuse we've all done to ourselves. And whether it is obvious just yet or not, your body is thanking you
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Congratulations on one month of sobriety.

The canned sparkling water is my beverage of choice. I have at least four flavors in the fridge. It's a lot cheaper than beer and is calorie and hangover free.

I dropped over 20 pounds the first two months I quit drinking. I did it by not eating. The only thing I wanted was alcohol and I was determined to stay sober. It really scared me.

Everything balanced out after awhile and I gained the weight back with a healthy diet and walking my dog every day. Still get weird cravings for chocolate or ice cream.

What ever you're doing now is much healthier than drinking. Keep it up!

Month two will be here before you know it and probably with at least a few lost pounds.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt the same way as you did. When I quit I had even gained a pound after 2 months being sober. It's so frustrating. I didn't lose a pound until after 3 months sober. However, someone recommended this fast metabolism diet which you only do for 28 days. Apparently it kick starts your metabolism. It's a bit rough but it did kick start something. Now over a year sober and I have been the same weight since june which is 35lbs lighter. Apparently the liver plays such a strong role in your weight. Give it time to heal itself and i think things will process better. Congrats on 1 month. You will lose the weight. All of my friends who have quit long term look fantastic. Each and everyone of them. you will too.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on a month sober!

Give yourself a break - your body still has a lot of healing to do. This is the time to be good to yourself.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been eating a lot (too much!) chocolate and sweet stuff, presumably to make up for the carbs in wine. My body seems to crave them. Perhaps you have been eating more sugar than you realise.

In due course I am going to have to get a handle on it, but first thing's first.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Jillian
Old 03-24-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't weigh a whole lot in the first place. I spent years at 90 pounds. After I had my daughter I was 95. The last year of drinking I went up to 120 which is a lot for me. I quit drinking and there I stayed. 118-125. Five months later and no exercise routine I'm down to 105 and that's the way I have been for a little over a month. I remember a month in, joking that the internet lied about losing weight after quitting drinking. No it didn't. Everyone is different. Give it time.

Jennifer
Old 03-24-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

sparkling water has sodium. it could be fluid retention.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Casper thanks for the encouragement! I know I look better even after a month so I need to keep that as motivation. My face isn't red anymore so that's good. We are having a potluck at work today, lol. This workplace has added a lot of pounds to everyone here with the monthly potlucks.

Wow Jennifer, that's great. I'm my goal is 45 lbs to lose right now. I was 120 in my teens, 130 when I got pregnant and 150 after baby (11 yrs ago). I know I'll never be 120 again and 150 I would like to be. But then again, I could become pregnant again at anytime, lol. So I'm going to eat right and not beat myself up if I have a cookie and if I get pregnant, I'll have to wait.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I lost 1.6 kilo (3.5 lbs) a week first month then one kilo a week second month (2.2 lbs) have lost 11 kilos so far ( 24 lbs) in 54 days 64 days sober first week I binged ate sugary foods and fruit and cheese)

BUT I only consume 1250 calories a day and I walk my dog at least 5 days a week 3-5 km a walk
No sweets no sugar!!! Only two sandwhiches a day (im vego)
A protein shake
And dinner a few veggies or a smoithy.

Soda water (sparkling water) has indeed got fo*** loads of salt in it so retains fluid
And give your body time to adjust.
Make smoothies with fruit thats my sugar intake and no more than one every other day i can have one.

It is really rewarding once your body starts changing due to not having all those calories anymore
I used to drink 12-14 or 18 beers on week days and about 24-30 on friday and saturday

Give it time, it WILL happen

Your eyes already look clearer no bags softer looking skin more coloyr on your face less puffy looks (well that was for me so I assume also for you )
Your insides are thanking you every day for not drinkung anymore. Celebrate ut enjoy it.

Ps well done on one month keep it up
Old 03-24-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Eat clean and low carb--lots of whole foods like grilled meats, fresh veg
organic and grass fed if possible and I suggest plain water with lime / lemon
and herbal teas--I really like nettle, oat straw and peppermint combo and it's
good hot or iced.

The weight will come off--your body needs time to heal.
Lots of hiking and weight lifting really helped me as well.
Fun and good for you
Old 03-24-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinkGstring View Post
Soda water (sparkling water) has indeed got fo*** loads of salt in it so retains fluid And give your body time to adjust. Make smoothies with fruit thats my sugar intake and no more than one every other day i can have one.
I drink non flavored soda water and it has 15 mg sodium per 12oz. I was thinking maybe I'm retaining water. I've only weighed myself twice since I quit drinking. I do need to watch what I eat because I have been eating eating cookies and ice cream now and then. But I haven't had anything to drink besides water, sparkling water or coffee (small amounts) in the past 4 days. Great job on losing weight. I know I'll lose it eventually (well I hope) but my husband loves me just the same if I don't.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are doing great! Give it time

Jennifer
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So I just weighed and have lost 3 lbs 😃