Notices

Hello! New here, and ready to change.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello! New here, and ready to change.

Just wanted to say hello. I've been reading this forum for a while but have just joined today. I've tried several times to quit drinking without lasting success, but am feeling more determined than ever at this point. I've amassed all the proof I could ever need that I'm unable to drink moderately, and the few occasions when I am able to, I'm miserable. I've been drinking for 15 years, and almost daily for the last 5. At this point it's far more of a compulsion than a pleasure, and I'm tired of the insane price I pay in all realms of my life for this addiction. I just want to quit for good, and come to a place where I no longer desire it. Reading many of your posts, I'm optimistic that this could be possible for me.

Today is day 1. This forum seems great and I'm looking forward to being a part of it. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AKA Supersonic

Welcome to the forum! You'll find loads of help and support here.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome I'm only on day 4 but good luck with it everything..
Old 03-23-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
leb

Hi Thursday,
I've been a heavy drinker all my life. 57 now. I was gradually using alcohol more and more and no longer getting pleasure from it. Mainly hangovers, depression and anxiety. You will find heaps of support here, you get as much help as u ask for and just writing things down helps straighten things up in your mind.

I'm almost 3 months sober now 11 weeks actually. I have found tremendous support on this site and its always somewhere to go. When you think you are alone just read here. So many stories so like our own. Thinking of you. Stay strong It really does get better. I never thought I could feel this good.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome Thursdayborn - glad you're here with us!!

Readiness to change leads us to the action we take wherein the desire to drink leaves us

Keep coming back!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Thursdayborn!!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Such quick responses! Hi everyone.

I'm really hoping that this is the time that I'll make it. Something feels different. I put together a few months sober last year and it was great, but after a big move I just lost it. My drinking since then has convinced me that this is not the life I want, and that moderation isn't a viable option. Maybe I believe that now more than I did before. In any case, I'm feeling ready to do whatever I need to do to stay on track and away from booze. I think it really is about putting sobriety first. Clearly nothing in my life works when I'm drinking, so it should be my top priority!

This seems like an incredibly helpful and supportive community. It's so easy to feel isolated and alone in alcoholism.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, thursdayborn. I am really encouraged by a few things that you said. First, you seem to have it figured out that quitting is an all or nothing proposition. Moderation is not an option. Many of us needed years of fooling ourselves before we finally figured that out.

Second, you recognize your drinking to be based on a compulsion, rather than a free will choice. In my final years of drinking, I found myself drinking even though I didn't want to drink. I needed to drink.

So, congratulations on "getting it" so early. Now, you just need to grit your teeth and grind this out.

Good luck. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Thursdaysborn
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
Welcome to SR, thursdayborn. I am really encouraged by a few things that you said. First, you seem to have it figured out that quitting is an all or nothing proposition. Moderation is not an option. Many of us needed years of fooling ourselves before we finally figured that out.

Second, you recognize your drinking to be based on a compulsion, rather than a free will choice. In my final years of drinking, I found myself drinking even though I didn't want to drink. I needed to drink.

So, congratulations on "getting it" so early. Now, you just need to grit your teeth and grind this out.

Good luck. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing. I am glad you are here with us.
Thanks Firstymer. Though I have to say, I've been fooling myself for a long time that I could be a moderate drinker! This last bout of drinking has been awful, though. Daily drinking, often just to kill the hangover, constant brain fog, constant anxiety and depression, constant malaise and the sense that this cannot go on.

I was on a flight with free drinks not long ago. I'd had several and most of the other passengers had fallen asleep. Despite total embarrassment, I kept asking the attendant for more and more and still couldn't get any sort of buzz or get to sleep. I felt foggy but not good, not tired - just utterly compelled to keep drinking despite the shame. It was such a horrible, though familiar, feeling to demand so much alcohol and just keep wanting more.

One or two drinks has never been enough for me.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, thursdayborn, to SR. Congratulations on your desire to stop drinking and for recognizing that moderation doesn't work for you.

And, yes, putting sobriety first is hugely important.

Seems as though you are at a great point to launch your sobriety efforts.

We are here for you 24/7/365; glad you found SR.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new here too. You sound a lot like me and my drinking habits. I'm on Day 7 now, and if I can do it after nearly 15 years of daily heavy drinking then you can most definitely too. Not to say it is or has been easy, but glad I found this site of others who share similar experiences.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Thursdayborn!

Old 03-23-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome thursday born

D
Old 03-23-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Thursday, congrats on making what could be the best decision of your life. I wish you the very best.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the best decision you ever made!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, Thursday. You story sounds just like mine. I wanted SO badly to be able to drink in moderation. But whenever I forced myself to limit my intake, I was totally miserable. I'm actually happier now being abstinent than I was during those futile moderation experiments which always ended up with my drinking as much as before, if not more.

Good for you, and keep going! I suggest you find as much support as possible from people who understand what you've been through and what you will face as you transition to a sober life.

Today is my 13th day sober. I never thought I would make it this long. Support of others (for me, AA has been a big piece) has helped tremendously.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
For Grace

I smiled through my own shame reading your airplane story. I did the same exact thing flying NY to Paris ... Drank, drank, and drank long after everyone had gone to sleep. It was so embarrassing but I just kept hitting the call button for the attendant to bring more wine. After about 5 hours of steady drinking she had finally had enough and screamed at me IT IS NOT POSSIBLE in her French accent ... she was loud and I made a scene and it was all absolutely mortifying. I cringe every time I think of my behavior that trip.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chuck39 View Post
I smiled through my own shame reading your airplane story. I did the same exact thing flying NY to Paris ... Drank, drank, and drank long after everyone had gone to sleep. It was so embarrassing but I just kept hitting the call button for the attendant to bring more wine. After about 5 hours of steady drinking she had finally had enough and screamed at me IT IS NOT POSSIBLE in her French accent ... she was loud and I made a scene and it was all absolutely mortifying. I cringe every time I think of my behavior that trip.

Ha!! And then you're trapped there on the plane. Oh this is bringing back a lot of airplane/airport memories....I can't wait to get to a point where I'm not wanting to drink every time I'm within a mile of an airplane.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Thursday.
Wecome to SR, keep reading and posting as much as possible.
Brilliant decision