Notices

Help or hungover?

Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help or hungover?

Hi all ,I have been worried a tad about the amount I drink, generally I would drink twice at weekend (both binges) and maybe a bottle in the week of wine.
I am experiencing particularly awful symptoms today having though been out for the weekend, and pretty much non stop alcohol, mainly beer no shot sets.
I now have real paranoid feeling, I have issues with my ankles they have weird sensations and in my head I feel like things are moving around (though ikno they are not). I yesterday had awful fear of death, and couldn't sleep due to it.
Firstly would you say the above mean I am seriously damaged goods ? I realise I need to cut down or stop with immediate effect drinking like this, I am a 37 year old man.
Has anyone suffered similar symptoms to the above ?Its happened a few times before mainly when on holiday I have today took loads of B2 vitamins and eaten well, and taken some kalms too,

Please any help ?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You could be experiencing withdrawal symptoms. It's always best to talk to your dr before detoxing from alcohol because it can be dangerous. I hope you decide to stop drinking for good because alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse unless you stop.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It could be withdrawal. I'd suggest seeing your doctor for medical help in getting thru the w/d safely.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR cjwat - Sounds like you are experiencing withdrawals. The symptoms you describe are common, but please consider seeing a doctor if things get too bad - withdrawal can be dangerous in certain instances.

What you also seem to be finding is that withdrawals can get progressively worse over time. The fact that you didn't experience this in the past but are now could indicate that you are starting to build up a physical addiction as well. Cutting down is not usually an option once you reach that point as you've passed the point of being able to control your drinking.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the quick response, I am assuming it is withdrawals too, but my question has to be why would I been ok last week when I never drank yet today and yesterday I am a mess. I think personally I am just withdrawing from weekend not the alcohol as a point , I don't know though I was really upset yesterday, when it gets to the stage I think enough is enough, will I be ok ever again?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by cjwat View Post
but my question has to be why would I been ok last week when I never drank yet today and yesterday I am a mess.
Because the severity of withdrawals gets worse over time. For me they got so bad that I had to drink all the time just to keep from having them. And unfortunately they don't "go away"....meaning that even if you quit for a while, most likely they will be as bad or worse if you start drinking again.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Because the severity of withdrawals gets worse over time. For me they got so bad that I had to drink all the time just to keep from having them. And unfortunately they don't "go away"....meaning that even if you quit for a while, most likely they will be as bad or worse if you start drinking again.

I see , can I ask how you cope now with them? I did go out lat weekend and obviously not drank as much and had no problems but then this weekend was bordering on ridiculous how much was drank!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome

I am new here too and it has been very helpful.

For me, most of my hangovers became fear ridden ordeals with wild, dark, fantastical thoughts and mystery and upsetting physical feelings and ailments. So, yes, I can identify with this.

That said, as others have said before me, medical advice might well be advisable and others here have much more knowledge than I do about these things.

For me, after a binge, it takes several days for my nervous system to settle down and for anxiety to become manageable - but it gets there! :-)

It then takes about another 2 weeks for me to start getting real confidence back and for my thinking to be coherent.

I am amazed at the ability of my system to return to health....and sadly my ability to trample all over it again! But after 9 dry days I am feeling very positive. I wish you all the best too.

Best wishes to you

CC
Old 03-23-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...this weekend was bordering on ridiculous how much was drank!
I've been in your shoes countless times. I'd get concerned about my drinking after a particularly horrendous binge, and by week's end, bolstered by a renewed vow to control my intake, I'd drink again...only to overdo it again sometime in the future. Rinse and repeat. Until all I was doing was hanging on while my drinking dragged me though hell.

Drinking progresses. Why not give it a break for a couple months. If you struggle, that should say a lot about how deep your problem is. Then you can evaluate quitting for good.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks , I think that is the best outcome of quiting for a while and see how I get on, I had a similar experience as I say on holiday a few years back and the doctor wasn't bothered and just said I had been over doing it, but I felt like th eworld would end, people where out to get me creeping up on me etc on the street, but really they are jus minding own business.
Can anyone recommend anything to take to eleviate it ? I am on cranberry juice and had vitB and a good meal today which ithink has helped a little. I still feel wary though any twinge in my chest I assume its a heart attach. One think I haven't mentioned is I also binge smoke when I drink , and don't smoke when not drinkin so possible withdrawals from the cigs too
Old 03-23-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What you are feeling is normal....for heavy drinkers that is. I am willing to bet that the symptoms will disappear after a week of complete abstinence.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I see , can I ask how you cope now with them? I did go out lat weekend and obviously not drank as much and had no problems but then this weekend was bordering on ridiculous how much was drank!
I don't drink anymore so I don't have to cope with them. For me abstinence was the only solution.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Cjwat,
Nice to have you here!

You're looking for a quick fix & there are no quick fixes when it comes to addiction.

Do you want to get to the point where Scott ( & all the rest of us ) got???

Or do you want to start living your life clean & sober?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi cjwat, Sounds like withdrawal. I had one particularly bad withdrawal experience and the feeling of impending doom is overwhelming. Panic attacks, heart beating out of my chest. Jumpy at the slightest noise, horrible. I was convinced the only thing that would make it better was to drink some more. It doesn't, it prolongs it. Sleep may be impossible for a couple nights (at least it was for me).

Hang in there, it will go away. See a doc, if you feel its necessary. Glad you found this site.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The fear of death you have at night could be "The fear of impending doom". From my experience, it feels like something really bad is going to happen but you can't quite put your finger on it. It took me a long time to figure out that it was being caused by drinking.
One night it went from thinking that I was about to have a heart attack to thinking that my house was probably on fire to thinking there is someone outside about to break into my house. Very real and scary.
Please take some serious time to think about your drinking. These symptoms can get a whole lot worse.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know i drink fat to much so times has come to sort it, I am hoping this is more a warning, I totally agree though with the last 2 comments , I can be jumping from anything too, I am hoping a good nights sleep will help tonight, im hoping nobody is judging me as I came on here for help. Its nice to talk to people that understand though to be fair my gf was understanding yesterday but just didn't know how to help me. I wish I wa a casual drinker like my friends and able to cope like they have this weekend
Old 03-23-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Can't tell you how much reading this thread is bringing back some horrible memories for me - but very useful, horrible memories. I think I must have had hundreds of similar episodes over the last 19 or so years. Remarkable what you can get used to! It is very good to be reminded of how bad it is.

For what it is worth Cjwat, your open and honest post is helping me to underline the reasons why I am trying a different route. It is a route I recommend very much and I hope you an take it too.

I used to binge 3 or 4 times a week and drink a bit on the other nights to take the edge off. In recent years I have got this down to one usually quite heavy session every other Saturday - but the hangovers are savage despite very much reduced intake. I also smoke on those nights but never smoke any other time. Takes me a while to get over that too! I feel poisoned for about a week after a few hours in the pub!

Do whatever you need to in the next few days to look after yourself. Junk food and sweet tea are my things. I know they are unhealthy but somehow they distract me and it is only temporary. I reckon the symptoms will calm down and you can start to look forward.

I know this though. We are almost the same age and go about our boozing in similar ways from what I can glean. I don't think we have forever to get on top of this. I felt something change in my mid-thirties and my resilience to it all dipped. I am pretty sure that is to be heeded!

Best wishes and thanks for this thought provoking thread. I really have a lot of sympathy for how you are feeling, sir.

CC
Old 03-23-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i think age catches up on us, I need settle down a big, getting the fear is one thing, but not listening to it is another. where are yiu from chord?do u hold down a job, I was next to useless at work today, sometimes people don't understand
Old 03-23-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi there.

I'm from the UK and yes, I hold down a decent job and do pretty well at it these days. In the past, I have managed to change jobs before I ran out of 'get-out-of-jail-free cards' due to mystery Monday illnesses and the like and a progressive unravelling of my ability to cope.
That in itself was so stressful that the only way I knew how to alleviate it was to get smashed. I never told myself that at the time of course. I ran the story that everyone lived like I did - but it wasn't true.

The kind of symptoms you are talking abut are horrendous and the fear is withering.
The first time I had such an experience I was certain that I would never drink again. I felt sure I was losing my mind. I was wrong about not drinking again - very wrong and somehow I learnt to manage through the most horrendous and traumatic aftermaths.

Honestly, I don't think I will realise quite how bad it was until I get some more sober time and perspective.

What a truly odd social life some of us lead eh? :-)

Let's stick with it and get well.

CC
Old 03-23-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

haha yes I am also UK (Nottingham) my trouble is I enjoy all the lads things, ie going football etc, and the alcohol is a part of it. I though also recognise i am making excuses to drink, are you totally sober these days? may be there is hope!!