Notices

Advice on dealing with "triggers"

Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on dealing with "triggers"

I'm an alcoholic and there are certain times and situations that cause me to want to drink. Such as, when it's time for me to leave work, on the way home from work, and there are literally 3 liquor stores between my home and job. One behind my job, and one in front of my house. 😒 plus, with the stress of working so much, relationship problems, money and bills (I know we all deal with that) I don't know how to cope. I'm exhausted and it's not helping..
Old 03-22-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Court jester

I know you do not need to be reminded that booze will only make the other issues in your life worse.

You listed a number of issues. I would list them from most pressing to least and tackle them one at a time. Trying to deal with all of them all at once may be overwhelming and cause you to throw up your hands and say F it. We all go through similar situations and we can do it without throwing in the towel and hitting up the liquor store. You can too!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you looked into any other ways that might help you to cope jmbrandon?

D
Old 03-22-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If the drive home is an issue, take another route home. Switch up your routine a bit and have healthy alternatives planned for those specific times of day that are hard for you. As far as ways to cope with the stresses of life, there are many things you could try.

Exercise works for many people, take up a hobby, read a book, journal out what you are thinking and feeling, cook up a new recipe, practice deep breathing, meditation. Experiment around and find what works for you.

You can do this!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I NEED to have therapy and a "halfway house" or detox center and see a therapist regularly. I'm just in a bad place where I can't afford to go and can't afford not to. I can't leave work or I will lose my house... I'm the only one working in my household and the pressure is too much.