I think he relapsed...

Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think he relapsed...

but I'm ok. A year ago, I never would have been able to function on a day like today. I would have been a friggin' mess: calling family members, friends, crying on the phone to my mom, hunting him down, pouring out the bottles, and draging him home.

Instead, today, after having an extremely suspicious phone conversation with my A who was confused, slurring, and making no sense, I was able to hang up, send a text message to say that I knew he was drinking, turn my phone on airplane and continue on with my day. I went to ballet, took a bubble bath, chatted with friends about an upcoming trip we have planned, made myself dinner, and am watching a favorite movie. And, truthfully, I am relatively unconcerned about what he is up to. It will all come out eventually, and I can make a decision later about what I want to do with it all.

A is (was?) nearly 8 months sober. About to graduate (this coming wednesday) from his IOP program, and was just at a meeting yesterday afternoon. It's sad to know he probably flushed all that hard work down the toilet, but that was his choice. I certainly didn't force him to drink. And I can't make him stop.

And, so, I snuggle up with my kitty and just try to be gentle with myself. I hate to be home alone, but I am dealing with that too. Life goes on, doesn't it? What an incredible lesson to finally learn.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You sound great!

I'm sorry for the relapse. His hard work hasn't NECESSARILY been flushed down the toilet. Hopefully he learned some things, and learns from the relapse. Time will tell how he deals with this.

Proud of you.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, life keeps moving, but you surely don't have to relapse just because he did. You sound steady, strong. Go you!! (((hugs)))
Old 03-21-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I am so relieved to be in a healthier place. I spent YEARS acting like a crazy person. For the first time, I am just moving on along, with or without him. Makes me feel confident that, if it came to it, I could leave. That I would be just fine.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope you have a good day Jenibean! Your post is really strong and I think you have grown a lot!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jeni- keep working your program, it works when u work it!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is huge progress! I wish you both well, each on your own paths.

ShootingStar1
Old 03-22-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Recovery can be a jagged road, and relapses don't necessarily mean he threw everything away, although at the moment it feels like it. Relapses can even make the resolve to be sober even stronger. I hope he's able to get some help in his IOP today.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you, Jenibean. Take care of yourself!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well. He definitely relapsed. Confirmed today by his own (slurred, bizarre, sad) admission. His mom emailed me upset that she hadn't heard from him, and instead of covering for him, I let her know what was going on. I reached out to a friend and told him what was going on, but didn't go on and on about it. Was just honest, and then used the rest of our time together to laugh and catch up.

He called to say there were no flights home. I used his credit card to book him a flight home and sent him the confirm in a text message. It was obviously a lie that he couldn't find a flight, because I didn't spend more than 90 seconds before it was booked and done. I wasn't really trying to solve a problem for him, more that I was trying to call him out on being an idiot for lying. Not my money, I don't care if he misses the flight.

Emotionally though...I feel really mad. Mad that he is so selfish and careless. Mad that the life we were rebuilding wasn't enough for him. Mad that I gave him a second chance and he didn't value that.

I just have to get through this week. I am leaving for 2 weeks on vacation with my best friends after that. Hopefully the space will bring some clarity.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm sorry, Jeni. I know it really really sucks. My guess is he wanted to sober up before he saw you, not that he couldn't get a flight home.

Hugs, vacation is coming. Some time away, with your friends, will be so good for you.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Jeni I'm sorry he relapsed, it's a pity. Have a wonderful vacation. Time away is a good thing for perspective and re-charging the batteries.

I suppose he'll use your absence to drink some more?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you Jenibean87 ! You've given me insight to a possible future event and shown the right way to deal with it. The alcoholic in my life comes out of rehab next week so she could relapse very quickly. But gotta have faith and look after me. Thank you again :-)
Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jeni, I am so sorry. I hope you get some much needed R&R on your vacation!

XXX
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks guys--you are such AWESOME support! He did end up taking that flight home. So, there's that. We will see how this unfolds. I'm concentrating on packing!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm sorry (((Jeni)))
You do sound great though!
Stay strong and enjoy your vacation
Old 03-24-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How great that you have an awesome trip to look forward to. You sound healthy, balanced, and in care of yourself!! Have a blast!