Notices

Day 34

Old 03-21-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 34

I'm on day 34 feels much longer. kinda depressing at its only been that long. My problem is that I'm married to an alcoholic. I made the choice to quit as I found myself getting deeper and deeper. My husband makes me a drink tonight and says you know one is not going to hurt. How do I get around this ongoing problem?
Old 03-21-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you know what?, the "just one" is the most hurtful driink of all! i am grateful my partner does not drink at all . Phew!.. it would be tough to quit drinking together although we did quit smoking simultaneously... wont go thru that again! you are in a tough situation but can only control your own intake. Spouse may not be ready yet if ever.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

34 Days is fantastic!!

How about sitting your husband down and having a talk about your commitment that you're not going to drink, it can't do any harm!!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Reywas
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the only thing I really know for sure is this:

In all things, my first requirement is to take care of my own well being. Because I am the one responsible for that, and without it---well I am not worth much to help others. But with it---I know I have much to give.

Be good to you.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Court jester

I agree with Purple, you need to let hubby know that drinking is no longer an option for you.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first thought (but I'm pretty straight-forward) was to take the drink and dump it in the sink.

He won't like that - and it would definitely escalate.

If you tell him you aren't drinking and he fixes you a drink, that is not being supportive; but is this the first time you've tried to quit since you've been with him? You may have to just keep repeating it until he gets it. I repeated that for years, and my Mother kept offering. It's always your choice whether to drink or not.

I think a polite refusal is better than my initial passive-aggressive kneejerk reaction I posted above.