Notices

Emotional with recovery

Old 03-21-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional with recovery

Hi. I just feel like ranting or letting off some "steam"! I have a million thoughts running through my mind at all times. I've been really snappy toward people that I care about as I'm not only struggling with alcoholism, but with the stress of working so much and with money, bills, etc.. I need to learn coping skills and learn to stick with them. I'm just at a point where I feel like my life has completely collapsed and I can't think clearly, which makes it worse.... Advice? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Based on you Sobriety date of November 14, 2014 you are a 4 months more or less in. Congrats!

I usually try not to look at all my issues at the same time, or it seems like a huge pile of crap. What I do is only think about what I can take action on in the near future or today. Stuff that I cannot fix right away, is not worth spending time and anxiety on.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

You would think stopping drinking would fix alcoholism, but for some of us it just brings it out. If we do nothing other than stop, life has a way of getting uncomfortable. We become restless, irritable and discontent and we miss that sense of ease and comfort that comes at once by taking a few drinks, drinks that we see others taking with impunity.

Staying dry wasn't any fun for me until I found a new way of living which gave me a completely different attitude to life. Now I seem to be able to handle life's ups and downs, it seems to be mostly ups, with a fair degree of equanimity. I Suggest living the AA program.

That's what I ended up doing, although it was the last thing I wanted. It seemed to require a certain amount of discipline and selflessness, not my strong points, so I tried to get by under my own steam until I reached a point where I ran out of options. AA works best when we jump in boots and all. I eventually did that have have been happily sober ever since.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, my emotions took a long time to settle when I quit!!

Things adjusted for me over time, hang in there!!
Old 03-21-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are having a hard time. I am too so you are not alone. Try not to worry about the problems in your life that you have no control over and can't fix. You need to find peace in you if you can. if you haven't tried it maybe you can pray.Cry if you need to. I hope things work out for you.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jmbrandon87 View Post
Hi. I just feel like ranting or letting off some "steam"! I have a million thoughts running through my mind at all times. I've been really snappy toward people that I care about as I'm not only struggling with alcoholism, but with the stress of working so much and with money, bills, etc.. I need to learn coping skills and learn to stick with them. I'm just at a point where I feel like my life has completely collapsed and I can't think clearly, which makes it worse.... Advice? Thanks!
I have slowed-down my pace a great deal. Both mentally and physically.

I am one that seeks out perfection. That is something that I have to deal with. I do by physically slowing down so I do not feel overwhelmed by all the activity around me.

Mentally, I also slow down a bit. I try to think twice before I proceed to "Jump". I "sort of " visualize my actions before I do them.

I still make the wrong decision every know and then, but I'm learning One Day at A Time
Old 03-21-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Be good to yourself in early recovery. It takes a while to settle down and feel better.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Be good to yourself in early recovery. It takes a while to settle down and feel better.
My mom has said to me many times "be kind to yourself" - just this Saturday I got her to write it down, take a picture and send it to me so I can put it as my phone background...so when I'm freaking out (and when I'm not) I'm reminded of this wisdom...it's hard to resist.

I like what least said. Also, you did the right thing by coming here to vent. It's a huge step to recognize you're not in a mentally safe space and I understand the feeling of being totally lost when you do recognize that but don't know how to deal. I don't have any answers because I'm kind of there too, but this is definitely the place to turn.

You are capable and strong. You wouldn't have come here if you weren't. Breathe, and take it one step at a time. One, tiny baby step at a time.

You got this.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Early days yet for you - though it seemed like a lifetime for me at 4 months sober.

I guess it takes considerable time for our thinking to adjust to a completely different way of doing things. I find that now things are a lot less frantic as a direct result of being sober. Also it took a while to be able to look back and see the damage drink was doing to my life.

So stick at it - it will get easier
Old 03-22-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is a famous saying in AA, "one day at a time."

In my experience it applies to much more than just staying sober, it's how to live your life. And it's harder than it seems.

Breaking life's complex stuff down to much smaller steps, and then trying to deal with these smaller steps, one at a time can help.