Notices

Depression...

Old 03-20-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression...

Hello Sober Recovery Family! Happy Friday everyone!

I hope everyone is doing ok in their recovery, or attempts to make it there. This has been my 3rd time going through it and I truly think I am going to make it this time. "Drinking just ain't my thing" anymore, and I am pretty proud of that.

I am still going through strange body changes, I have gained 20 lbs, sleep better now but have tons of acne (go figure) and I look forward to waking up every day now with a smile!

NOW FOR THE BAD PART..

I am depressed. I have been for 2 weeks now. I have a wonderful life, home, job, son, and all my bills are paid...
I am just sad. Very sad. Not suicidal though, thank goodness.
When I 1st stopped drinking after about two weeks, I became over excited, all the time, talking fast and everything. I read somewhere that this was normal and would level out at a later date when your brain was ready.

I already take Lexapro for anxiety but I have been taking it the entire time I have been drinking (6 years)

I dont have any medical insurance to go see a therapist and dont think I need to as I feel this is purely chemical. Might just be a touch of loneliness due to all my friends drank all the time and I am out of that crowd now.

Has anyone else went through this and what did you do to cope?
Today is friday, and the last 6 years past this would be 1 bottle of rum and 3 diet cokes until I fall asleep. Now it is just me and my thoughts lol

Any stories, advice, and virtual hugs will be appreciated!

-RaleighGirl
Old 03-20-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Greetings from a fellow North Carolinian! Yes, I have suffered with anxiety and depression for quite some time, drinking or sober. Last Summer, my doctor tried out 3 different AD's on me. One made me worse than ever, another made me tired all the time, and the last did nothing at all. I relapsed shortly after, due to my frustration. I didn't want to care anymore, so I reached for what I knew would deliver immediate results.

It delivered all right, I ended up in rehab, lost unsupervised visitation rights with my kids, alienated friends and family, nearly lost my job, facing mounting debt again for the first time in many years... Shall I go on?

I never tried Lexapro. I saw my doctor a week or so ago and he was willing to prescribe it but, by the end of the appointment, we both agreed I should maybe try it drug-free a while longer. The last experiment(s) didn't go over so well!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Getmeout! I know that story oh so well, I hope things are going much better for you. Depression is awful, especially when you know what it is as you are feeling it. That is how I relapsed too, grabbed what always worked for me (or so I thought) Lexapro had the least side effects for me, the others I tried just made me feel like I was in a cloud.
I hope drug free works out for you! That would be awesome!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wonder if your depression/anxiety began before you were drinking? Mine did, in my teen years and so I had to get it properly treated before I could stay sober. I take antidepressants which for me level the playing field. The anxiety is still there but not as bad as when I was drinking. If your depression is a result of drinking, then hopefully it will clear up as the weeks go by.