Notices

The jargon of relapse

Old 03-20-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

The jargon of relapse

I was wondering what is a relapse. For example if someone has only stopped drinking for say 1-7 days and then started again (even though they were trying to quit) would that be considered a relapse or simply "they just really didn't quit". I was wondering if there has to be a significant amount of time in sobriety before a drinking episode is considered a relapse.

I have 24 days in - if I drank say today, would that be a relapse?

Someone on this forum (I can't find the quote) made a statement to the affects that there is no such thing as a relapse, only that one simply had not stopped drinking.

Does the language of "relapse" actually enable us? Give us an out - an excuse to drinking again?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure this matters all that much....

to me, anyone who wakes up with the intention and desire to stop drinking but then drinks is relapsed.

one hour, one day, one month.... the determining factor for me was always "did I intend to stop? did I then drink?" If yes, and yes, then relapse.

But again I think this is one of those areas we can easily get wound up in debating and analyzing and focusing on - instead of sobriety.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a whole lexicon of terms - relapse, slip, fell over, went out, goofed, caved, fell off the wagon, made a boo boo, slipped up...

If you're into semiotics you can argue about what the different terms really mean.

I'm not aware of any general agreement on what constitutes a relapse as opposed to any of the other terms.

D
Old 03-20-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

I hear you - arguing semantics gets no where. The bottom line is to not drink and focus on that and who cares what road you take to reach your destination.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep, you picked me for a simplicist (simpleton?) LOL - but some people enjoy arguing semiotics and semantics

Some feel it's very important too - AVRT is pretty much based on the premise of what word choices mean, isn't it?.

D
Old 03-20-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thats it calico
Old 03-20-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Dee, I would never peg you as a simpleton - in my eyes you are a genius. I am truly amazed at you and your unwavering dedication to helping others. You ROCK.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words Calico

D
Old 03-20-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was told by the clinic that if you just have a couple of drinks and get back on the wagon again it's a lapse if you go nuts again after a those few drinks it's a relapse.
I do believe that there are people that just don't really try hard enough!
They give in as soon as they get a craving. I believe those people are not ready to quit yet!
My dad is a smoker he got cancer in his mouth misses the roof of hus mouth now. Had to quit smoking. Well, was advised to quit. He did for a while now hes back smoking 30 a day again.

I'm on 62 days now, I have had moments where I litterally wanted to bang my head against the door coz of super intense cravings. But I refused to give in. It was hard really really hard!
That was last month. The clinic put me on both campral that I already was on and Naltrexone as well because I was going nuts because of all the cravings.
Now I have no cravings.
Am at the resort now a wedding shoot tomorrow. My first time expisure to alcohol at the reception since detix.
I was worried about it so I contacted the hotel. Asked them to empty the minibar for me and i sent them my photo so tge staff knows not to serve me any wine or alcohol during dinner!
I am all prepaired. The hotel staff is helpung me to minimise the expisure to alcohol so I can focus on my job 100%

See what I mean?! I could have done nothing and suffer cravings or I could do what I did, be pro active.
After the wedding my psychologist of the clinic and I are going to prepare me for the real world. When friends invite me and i go out for lunch/dinner with friends or wedding clients where alcohol is being served.
You have to be prepared and strong willed. I quit smoking 7.5 years ago after a 16 years addiction if 30 rollies a day.
I know I can do this one too.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

That's awesome Pink. I applaud you for being proactive and doing something instead of sitting back and whining "poor me". You've got the right attitude and a winning one. This is a fight for life and one cannot be passive and expect to live.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One thing that has not been mentioned is the notion that a slip is the end of the world to some! Some approaches see a slip and resetting the clock and starting at Day One again, discarding any progress one has made. This puts one perpetually in the role of sick person. I'm no expert and my record isn't the best but I do know I have never given up trying to quit and I am determined to do it, despite lapses, relapses and longer periods of drinking. I'm not saying that relapses are OK - far from it - just that if the desire to stop is a high priority then hold on to that motivation whatever else happens.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

What was important to me were the words I used just prior to and after my relapse.

More lies? More excuses? No action to avoid future relapses? More of the same.

Compared to what I've learned during sobriety, I learned virtually nothing from my relapse.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Does the language of "relapse" actually enable us? Give us an out - an excuse to drinking again?
You have hit on my pet peeve. I have heard so many times in different recovery programs that "relapse is part of the process". In other words, if you have quit and haven't relapsed yet, it is almost expected. I think that is a bunch of hooey. My favorite thing i have seen on this site (several times) is that relapse can be part of addiction, not part of recovery. IMO its what you do the day after a relapse, just like it is what you do the day after 10 straight years of drinking, that is important. If framing it in a certain paradigm helps you get right back on sobriety, great, but they are just words and actions are what matters.
"I hear you - arguing semantics gets no where. The bottom line is to not drink and focus on that and who cares what road you take to reach your destination." This is very wise, you are smart not to get caught up in the language and focus on not drinking.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Relapse is part of my addiction, not of my recovery.

D
Old 03-20-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes Mentium, I agree with you...that if we don't manage continuous sobriety, but get back to starting again at day 1...it isn't a true 'beginners' start...in that although the refocus needs to be new and refreshed (of course) - it's wise to also take with us into the new day 1...all that we learned before about what worked, what didn't work...and importantly why we maybe 'slipped'... But all washed down (forgive the not so funny pun) with a big, long, chilled glass of...compassion for our intentions and hard work to stop...that ended in a slip-up. It's like just picking ourselves up from a bad fall, but with a psychologically kinder arm round our own shoulders of care towards ourselves - for just how it all goes. Being a drunk or alcoholic has already allowed us all to spend way too much time criticising ourselves and our efforts in life already...gone on a bit, but I hope you get my message?
Old 03-20-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just say you quit drinking for 24 hours then drank ( I don't consider that a relapse because you really didn't even stop!)

Just say you quit the weekdays and then drank on the weekend. I would not consider that a relapse eiher because that is more of trying to cut back.

Now, give it a month and you drank. I would consider that a relapse.

That is only my interpretation of the word
Old 03-20-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My goal is sobriety. Willingly and knowingly swallowing any form of alcohol is a failure of that goal in my eyes. The quantity, timing and semantics surrounding it is largely irrelavant. Sober = no alchohol. Drinking = not sober. It doesn't really need to be any more complicated than that.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Failure, such a harsh word. Sort of makes me feel like I had no hope.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I will simply add that for me when I drank again I never really quit. Thought so but simply was not ready. At about 10 months and longest sober time in decades I now know what quitting means. So glad I was given this chance.....

Drinking again is not on today's thought processes.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
Failure, such a harsh word. Sort of makes me feel like I had no hope.
It is a harsh word, but it is simply a word. If we have a goal and we do not meet it that does not mean we have no hope - it simply means we didn't meet the goal. Implying meaning to any word is dangerous business.