Notices

Update - Day 3

Old 03-17-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update - Day 3

I'm still here, guys. Still sober. Went to my second meeting last night. Good experience with super nice people. Got another number from a guy who looked around my age in the meeting. Went to the gym. I stayed with a friend last night. Most likely will stay with him again, but I plan on going back home Wednesday.

Have been texting with my wife. The friend I stayed with has talked to her a couple times and all I can say at this point is that time will tell. Of course this adds anxiety, but I'm trying to stay in the present and do what I need to today. It was good to talk to my friend last night and talk about a future without drinking.

I'm trying to build on my plan brick by brick. The meeting I was in last night emphasized that thinking too much early in the process was not a good idea. So I'm just leaning on the experience of others and getting through each day. I've been reflecting a lot on the impact alcohol has had on my life in dramatic as well as insidious sneaky ways that aren't visible on the surface. I'm ready to try something else.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeap many bricks can build a house, keep adding them each day!!

Day 3 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 3 days and they say one day at a time for good reason
Keep piling those bricks on, you are building a firm foundation for your recovery. Keep up the great work.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats
Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounder like a good plan HoosierFarmer

D
Old 03-17-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good job on three days
Old 03-17-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day by day, brick by brick it adds up.

Stay close. It helped me a lot in the beginning.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Brick by brick sounds like a good plan, HF. So does keeping up with meetings. I also found going to the gym regularly and getting back in shape helped considerably. Exercise is vital, I am convinced.

I know it must seem like a lot is uncertain in your life right now. Well, that's true.

One thing that is certain is that you can put alcoholism behind you. Many of us have and we keep coming here to make sure it stays that way. You can do this, too.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I meant to say in your other post- I am really sorry to hear about your dog, they are special creatures and I know how it feels to lose one xx
Old 03-18-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to another meeting last night. Two people there had been drinking that day and shared with the group. The outpouring of love and appreciation for them was overwhelming. I haven't shared yet, for now it helps just to be there.

I skipped the gym (been having some hip issues and lagging in sleep) and went home. My daughter (18) was there (she doesn't know about the incident) and we chatted for awhile until she went back to her mom's. I was glad to see her and gave her a big hug before she left. She's very comfortable with my wife.

My wife fixed dinner and she had a glass of wine. As we ate, she kind of unloaded on me about the incident and aftermath. I felt defensive at first, but explained that I know it was horrible and the first step I can take right now is to simply not drink and continue to get guidance. She was clearly upset that I didn't want to engage on the subject beyond apologizing. Her daughters, age 15 and 13 are scared of me now. She is seeing a counselor today regarding how to move forward with them. She does not want them to internalize the message that what happened was acceptable.

I went to another bedroom to go to sleep. My wife came in and said she didn't want to sleep alone, so I could come in bed with her but no touching. I hesitated, but went back to the bedroom. In the middle of the night she snuggled tight to me and was very affectionate.

We had a good discussion this morning about alcohol and how it has negatively impacted our relationship. My family are drinkers as well and there have been negative incidents/drama with them as well involving booze. I told her my worst nightmare was the therapist telling her she needed to divorce me. She doesn't want to, but the priority is her girls and I understand.

Going to another meeting tonight, then hopefully gym and I will probably stay with a friend because my wife will have her daughters. One day at a time indeed.