Notices

5th of vodka every night for 6 months

Old 03-16-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5th of vodka every night for 6 months

Pretty much every night I have been getting blacked out drunk. I drink an entire fifth of vodka some times...other times just shy of a fifth before i pass out. I start when I am done with work around 5 or 6pm and dont stop untill i pass out. I have tried to slow down and quit but I can not sleep. Tonight I am only having one glass and a benadryl to help me sleep, and I am hoping to stop drinking or slow down immensly...the hangover I had today was the worst I ever had experienced in my life and was a wakeup call...i was shaking, cold, of course vomiting in the morning. I tried to eat something around 5pm I had a little general tso's and then I took like 2 sips of my vodka that I poured a half hour later, and all a sudden I started puking 10 minutes later. I am weening myself off thats why I am having one glass and not cold turkey i dont know how my body will react...and I konw I have gone a night or two without drinking within this past 6 months and I have severe insomnia.

I dont really know why I drink so much, I live by myself and I really think its because I get lonely. So i bought a cat the other day for a little companionship...but its pretty boring lol.

I can get away with it because I work from home so the hangovers dont affect my work.

Where should I start I obviously am admitting to having a problem drinking this often and that much. It used to be just on the weekends but its every night now ***** got to stop before my liver fails. When I drink I go all in and dont stop until I pass out. Last night I fell into my coffee table somehow because I was so drunk!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! It's a great place to get support.

Have you considered an inpatient detox? Detoxing at home alone can be very dangerous and we don't seem to have a good success rate.

Please see your doctor at the very least and get some medical support.

looking forward to getting to know you!

love from Lenina
Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're right to recognize that things can't go on as they have. Welcome to a great resource to help you get and stay sober. I echo the advice of others to seek medical help with detox.
Life is so much better without alcohol.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think you've made a brave and wise choice by coming here and posting. I'm just starting my 27th day sober.

I was never a daily drinker, so can't help you with withdrawal tips other than to say that seeing a doctor is probably a good idea. I was inching up toward a fifth of vodka on nights when I drank at home and like you, I have the ability to work from homes several days in a week and would often have a crippling hangover.

Please stick around with us.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Good for you on admitting it has gotten out of control. I strongly suggest seeing a Dr. Alcohol detox is no joke. I tried to just go cold turkey and ended up in the hospital.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please see your doctor. He/She can help. Just be honest !

A fifth a night is a lot of booze !

DD
Old 03-17-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done for posting
I'm amazed you can get any work done from home
Old 03-17-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That was like reading my life story. I drank about 3/4 of a fifth of vodka every night for about five years. Sometimes I'd wake up to only some moisture at the bottom of the bottle. I didn't even know how to take a night off. Maybe one night every month only because I was too hungover.

I am happy to say that we can come back from that. I did. Once we reach the point where it takes the majority of a fifth to reach where we want to get we're reaching the end of the road. The Boise has to go. You can do this.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

You drink like I did. Your post helped me to remember. Thanks for that. When I quit I got fed up and faced it, but I went for medical help. I was surprised to find that there was very little if any negative judgement. Everyone wanted to help and were encouraging.

Get help. You can do it and your life will blossom.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi insearchofsober, welcome to SR
Old 03-17-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Many of us used to drink home, alone. I did too, and also stuck with vodka. I had some nasty withdrawals, so be careful.

I'm glad you came here for support. Despite your self-deprecating and joking tone, you clearly are smart enough to know that something is "off" here and that your life can't continue like this. Good for you for recognizing that. You were absolutely right to come here. My recommendation would be to keep reading the forum, stick around, and post often. All the best and welcome.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Greetings, insearchofsober!
Wow, your post sounds like I could have written it, myself.
My nightly consumption gradually led into an all day affair.
As I got older, the brain said yes, but the body said no.
Congratulations to you for being wise enough to stop.
Trust me, it only gets worse, if you don't. Much worse.
As for the insomnia, give it time.
You didn't get to this point overnight.
Stick with it and soon you'll be experiencing
quality sleep and a better overall life.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. Brilliant start coming here.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A big welcome to you and your cat! You've made a smart decision to get sober. I got sober over five years ago and my life is the best it's ever been.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! And congrats on taking the first step towards sobriety. I also strongly suggest you see a doctor. You are drinking a dangerous amount.

Life can be joyous without alcohol. Once you feel better, you can reach out and relate to others better, and be less lonely. You can start with your cat, who will return your love and affection if you take the first step and are patient with her.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds like me in the end. Knew I had a problem when I couldn't eat soup with a spoon or use chopsticks. Get some help. Do whatever you have to do. It can get much much worse.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am glad that you found us. You will find a lot of support, encouragement and helpful advice here.

I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Insearchof sober, do you have someone that can stay with you if you choose not to go to the doctor? There is no easy way to say this, detox can be rough. Its uncomfortable and can be dangerous. But once its breaks, you'll feel so free (at least I did), so free you may be tempted to drink again. Great job on knowing you should quit and I wish you the very best.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My drinking was identical to yours for me

I went to a doctor

I started attending IOP

I went to IOP and AA

I am now active in AA and will be for the rest of my life