Notices

Day 3/Nutrition question

Old 03-16-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3/Nutrition question

Hello, everyone,

It's been three days since my last drink and I'm trying to support those efforts by eating right. Problem is, I'm not sure what my strategy should be. I'm torn between eating clean and working out versus just eating whatever and not trying to change too much at once. I do feel, however, that eating crap, particularly sugar, keeps my brain chemistry in a negative cycle of cravings and possible relapse.

Also, there are certain supplements that are reportedly helpful for addicts (beyond the obvious mutlivitamin) to help restore brain health, but who's to say what works and what doesn't? I'm interested in hearing thoughts. For example, what kind of eating supported your sobriety in early recovery? Did working out help, or did it unnecessarily stress you out in those early days of withdrawal? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Depp its nice to meet you congrats on day 3
Old 03-16-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Soberwolf!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Honestly, in the early days, I tried to not stress out too much about what I was eating. I mean, after all...for years I was poisoning myself..I was just happy that I removed that out of the equation.
Obviously, I wasn't scarfing back cakes and Big Macs, but you get my point
I would say indulge in ice cream if that makes you feel better. Allow yourself some time to adjust to just being SOBER.
as for exercise, light exercise helped me at first. Then gradually increasing.

everyone is different though. There really isn't a one suit fits all for this.
Listen to your body. REALLY listen.
we can't give med. advice - the only supplement I take/took is a BComplex.
But I take that all the time. The rest of my "nutrients" I get from eating a healthy diet now.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just listened to what my body wanted and needed. I needed to regain some weight I'd lost and it felt good to do that. I did begin walking a lot for exercise.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I`d say lots and lots of water and vitamin B (alkies often deficient and dehyrated). You really can`t take too much, you`ll just pee out the excess. (Hope this doesn`t sound like medical advice)
Old 03-16-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, depp. What I eat really affects how I feel physically, so I try to keep it relatively healthy. That being said, if I'm jonesin' for junk food I'll have some. Not too much, though. I've found that if I really cut loose and chow down on all sorts of sweet and salty foods I feel gross the next day. Almost like hungover gross.

I also take a multi-vitamin daily and drink a LOT of water.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
For Grace

I agree ... just listen to your body and give yourself some time. Be kind to yourself. I started walking a lot during the early days to get the blood moving. Also started incorporating raw fruits and vegetables back into the routine. Slow and steady! Give your body time to adjust to the new routine.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol changes the pH of the entire digestive tract making it difficult to absorb vitamin B, so we often lack that.....

I ate well, when I was able to eat, then slowed down on those things that created problems (caffeine and sugar in moderation).
Old 03-16-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I didn't really worry about my eating strategy too much in early sobriety. I generally eat pretty healthy, but allowed myself more sweets and snacks. Even with more sweets and snacks, I lost body fat and weight (which wasn't what I was going for since I am already pretty lean).
Old 03-16-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Depp, I would eat would eat what you want for the first couple of weeks. Quitting alcohol is the most important thing. Your probably craving the sugar that came from the booze.

For me the sugar craving wore off afte about 4-5 weeks. My appettite is more than before I stopped but I am eating healthily now