Notices

Letter to self

Old 03-16-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letter to self

Dear Dummy,

I'm writing this to you now as you are no doubt feeling better. Hopefully no doubt. I'm suffering. I'm dying. The weekend was a 3 day bender and I'm paying for it now. My hands are shaking as I'm writing this and my head is pounding. I also feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. Wine on Friday night with no dinner resulted in a blackout wandering around the city. This was followed Saturday morning with Vodka 'to avoid a hangover' (that was a bright idea). This repeated itself Sunday with a bottle of gin. Really dumb. You didn't go to work today as a result. I cannot afford to mess up this job.

You are ******* yourself up man. It's time to take responsibility and admit that you cannot drink alcohol. Newsflash: You never could. Alcohol is a poison to you and to a large percentage of people, so don't feel too bad about it, you're not the only one. Your 38 now and you have had problems from day one. From day one. Legal problems at 17. That should have been your 'rock bottom'. That was the moment. But no, you decided to continue and it's been the same outcome evertime: negative circumstances. Different rock bottoms. Guess what? It's not going to change. It's a losing battle. Let it go man. Alcohol takes you and turns you inside out, emotionally and physically and leaves you lying in the ****.

I'm begging you now to stay stopped. You managed 150 days at the end of 2014 and even managed a sober Christmas. Was life better? Yes, drastically. Break this bloody pattern once and for all man. You don't want to be like your old man, do you? No you don't. Stay quit or I'll smash your head in. Get it?

You do not need booze, so it's no loss. Check yourself before you wreck yourself completely. You've done things drunk that you would never do sober. Take drugs for example. The sober you is into health and fitness and would not touch drugs. But the drunk idiot that you become wants to kill you or put you in harms way. When are you going to get it into your head that you make yourself vulnerable when you drink? Seriously. Vulnerable. And then you have every evil snake coming out of the woodwork wanting to take advantage of you, pretending to be your friend. And you duly oblige...a fool and his money. Wise up. Seriously. You have to stop now, as I feel bilious like I'm going to die. Nice paranoia now because I vaguely remember a neighboor angrily knocking on the door to complain about the music.

You are alcoholic and you cannot stop drinking when you take that first drink and it changes your personality for the worse. Don't take the first drink and you'll be fine. Stay on the sober road. It will probably take years to reverse the damage but have patience and stick with it. I'm tired of this pattern. Life is better sober. Get it?

This is a decision that you won't regret.

Enjoy,
Your old self
Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome TCK its nice to meet you this place is exellent for recovery support & advice
Old 03-16-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Crimson, an excellent letter. I should print it out and post it in my house.

There is no upside to alcohol consumption. Wish you the very best.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Crimson. Great letter, print it out and stick in on the fridge. Put it on the desktop of your PC and phone.

You can find a wealth of support and understanding here on SR, all you have to do is ask.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum TheCrimsonKing!!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Wow. Great opening post. Welcome xxxx
Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

powerful stuff indeed.I really wish you well.