Notices

Morning routine

Old 03-16-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning routine

Do any of you have a morning routine to start the day on the right foot? I have an issue with morning depression (but it gets better as the day progresses).

Meditation? Walking? Reading? Big breakfast? Shower?

Ideas are most welcome.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drink 2 glasses of water. Look out the window and think what a great looking day.
Snow, rain, sleet, sun, fog, cloudy, it's always a great looking day outside. Open a door and stick your head out and take in a breath of outside air. And if you can walk around outside in your underwear for a few minutes, even better.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Gratitude list ?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

for me 40 minutes out with the dog in any weather before breakfast / shower etc. don't always want to go; always glad i did
Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Drink 2 glasses of water. Look out the window and think what a great looking day.
Snow, rain, sleet, sun, fog, cloudy, it's always a great looking day outside. Open a door and stick your head out and take in a breath of outside air. And if you can walk around outside in your underwear for a few minutes, even better.
LBrain, you are a hoot. Funny thing, I, too, start my day with two glasses of water while looking out from the kitchen window. Today, four blue jays were flying about - nice contrast from the still greyness of the trees in winter dress.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Running!
Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah that was a challenge for me as well in early sobriety. Mine was more anxiety than depression, but always definitely most intense in the mornings, right after waking. I also do some of my work from home and some from the institution where I am employed. What helped me most was getting up and starting the day with things that require mental focus and also some form of activity. I would typically make coffee and breakfast first thing, then either come to SR and read/post a bit, or read the news (this may not be the best if you can be disturbed by the news of course) while having my breakfast. Then shower, and see what's up for the day. I would not allow myself to dive into my thoughts much. Going for a walk is also great and so is meditation. When the weather was good enough last year, I picked up a habit to walk to a place I like a lot (a little park at a riverside) and meditate there, then walk to either my workplace or back home. I also like to listen to uplifting music -- that can often change my mood efficiently.

Another type of routine I tried for a while was centered around the idea that I tended to feel trapped inside my apartment -- I think in part this was most likely due to the fact that I used to do my drinking there, in the end often also in the mornings. So I would try to get out asap. Basically just have a coffee, shower, and out. Have breakfast in some random place, or eat while walking. I ended up liking the first scenario with more relaxed time at home before starting the day, but both helped to shake the "morning blues".
Old 03-16-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And if you can walk around outside in your underwear for a few minutes, even better.
Do you want me to scare off the neighbors and the wildlife?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

this is a currently-evolving thing for me. For far too long now, it has been crawl out of bed, go immediately to the coffee, then on to the computer and get into work and online projects.

I've lost my momentum with my health in doing this, and I think it has contributed negatively to my emotions.

So, my current project has been to reshape my morning routine. Instead of getting up and going straight for coffee and work I get up, have a little quiet time and a big glass of water. Then ONE cup of coffee and hit the gym or a run. Starting my day off with exercise and quiet time makes a huge difference to my overall tone for the day, my mood, my balance and attitude.

And, in just a few weeks it will also have the effect of helping me regain my fitness and my momentum and energy. And hopefully help me finally crack the excessive caffeine habit.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oh... and EVERY morning.... for at least a few minutes... I focus on Gratitude. I find at least One Good Thing to focus on.

And that One Good Thing always leads to another.

And every other week, at least 1-3 mornings, I go to an AA meeting.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I haven't suffered morning depression in years. Grumpy before my morning tea, but not depressed. One of the blessings of sobriety.

But when I did, I started the day with a prayer. One of the lines read:

Open wide the eyes of my soul that I may see the good in all things.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Open wide the eyes of my soul that I may see the good in all things.
Really like that Carl...thanks for sharing it.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a morning routine that I have to follow in order for me to feel like the day has started properly. Make coffee, take medication, set out vitamins for my wife, let the dog out, feed the dog, make sure bird feeder is full, brush teeth and shower. If I can start my day that way, I feel "normal" and I know its going to be a good day. If that routine gets screwed up I feel off kilter. It's totally mental with me.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I find my anxiety to be at its highest in the morning, pretty consistent at this point. Depression at times can be waiting to wish me a "good" morning as well. At this point what is working for me is water, small breakfast, a cup or two of coffee while I check SR. I also will put "The Price is Right" on in the background, and its hard to feel depressed seeing all those people so stoked to be on a gameshow, winning money. May sound silly but it works for me. After my coffee, I hit the treadmill with music blasting. I literally feel the anxiety dissipate while being spent during my cardio session. Lifting weights is good too.

Great thread Art!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
And if you can walk around outside in your underwear for a few minutes, even better.
LBrain, thank you a lot. This made me smile for the first time today - and the day is getting close to wrapping up in my part of the world.

I've just imagined myself walking around my block of apartments in my underwear...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Large glass of water every morning with some lemon, I have been doing this every morning sine getting Sober, it's apparently a good way to kick start your organs.

A part from that shower and dental routine, floss, brush, mouthwash!!

The drive into work always includes a few tunes cranked up!!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I do: relatively regularized too. Get up at 6 and do yoga or Pilates while waiting for the coffee to brew. Water and vitamins.Then off for a 45 minute walk with the pups before home for breakfast-usually eggs, oatmeal or a green smoothie.

I have found that key to a good morning is my evening routine. I do a quick 15 minute pick up before bed (so nice to wake up to a clean house)put my clothes out the next day, do any pre-prep for dinner, pack my bag, check my schedule and set my MITs (most important things). Now that I'm not drinking and am able to do Some organizing and planning before bed, my days start off so much more smoothly. Of course the uninterrupted sleep of sobriety helps tremendously too.