Notices

AA Meetings - question

Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Meetings - question

i have never been to an AA meeting and am extremely apprehensive about it, but at this point I have tried to quit and failed several times and am very much considering attending a women's group here in my town. What happens at a meeting?

One of the main reasons I feel compelled to attend is that I truly don't know anyone that is alcohol free. I have one cousin in recovery but she lives 1500 Km from me. She is the only one I know. I am thinking if I attend a meeting then I will meet other women like me. Right now I feel very much alone - I feel like I am the only one in my circle who can't stop and wants too. My body can't do this anymore and I find life exhausting.

Does anyone out there attend the AA women's study group?

Any insights would be appreciated

Thank you

Rosalia
Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Rosalia if you go to the main page and look for the women section youl find lots of replies on this

i would post a link but there is no men allowed in that section

or you could post this in newcomers but i think women section is better for direct experience

Nice to meet you Rosalia
Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved your thread from daily support forum to newcomers Rosalia - I presume that where you were aiming for, and I think you'll get the most response here

D
Old 03-16-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was nervous to go also. Made myself do it and it's not bad at all. I've only been to two. ( women only) You should definitely go if you've been thinking about it!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Here are two links which hopefully will answer most of your questions.
Here are two links to what to expect at your first AA meeting
What Can I Expect at a 12-Step Meeting?
Your First AA Meeting. Understandably, You Want to Know What to Expect.[/QUOTE]

Attending a women's meeting, making new friends and also daily participation on SR will really help you break your isolation and keep you motivated
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really appreciate your replies. I am new to navigating the board even though I have been a member since last autumn. Again, I made the mistake that I could moderate - I can't.

There seems to be a lot of heartbreaking stories linked to alcohol, but it seems many of you have made a huge amount of progress. I guess it is really a matter of just doing this one day at a time.

I am a little nervous about the meeting but I think it is a good idea. It is Thursday evening.

Rosalia
Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A women's meeting sounds good. I'm sure you'll be welcomed there.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One day at a time a bunch of times
Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Just got back from a meeting where a 20 something woman came for the first time. She seemed to enjoy her experience.

All you have to do is walk through the door and you will be home
Old 03-16-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you do whatever it takes to get sober. I don't use AA, but you've gotten lots of good info on this thread.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My women's AA meeting is one of the high points of my week! It is my favorite of all AA meetings in my area. No offense to the fellas, but at the women's meeting I feel like people share more stories of positive recovery. There is a range of women in my group from early twenties to seventies in age, and from a few months to 29 years of sobriety-time. We even bring delicious food to the last meeting of each month & eat together during the meeting.

I would likely not still be sober without this new community of intelligent, funny, kind, & sober women! My heart expands just thinking about how much I enjoy this meeting!

Like all group situations, it is hard to enter the very first time, but be brave!! It might make all the difference in the world to your happiness inside sobriety!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I accidentally walked in on a woman's meeting long ago and the last time, lol.

Let's just say they like to keep it that way!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah AA people are very friendly. Those women will make you feel at home. I am a male, so I don't attend a women's group, but at our meetings we just share our experience, strength, and hope. You can do it! I was nervous when I first started going...but now I feel a home. It's just a bunch of my friends. Something you say can help someone else stay sober that day. It's wonderful. Do it!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm 15 days sober and have attended 16 AA Meetings. 3 have been Women Only and they have been my favorite meetings! It seems like our gender differences play roles in how we cope and manage our sobriety, so hearing other women is very inspirational. Best of luck to you!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I explained to my husband for the third time that I plan to go this week. He finally accepted that I might really need it. Maybe he was in a bit of denial. Our life will change with my big change. Weekends will be hugely different. I am concerned about our relationship and what it means but after 27 1/2 years of marriage (a good one) there has to be more to it than drinking together. It's time.