Notices

Never say die!

Old 03-15-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never say die!

Those of you who have been around a while might remember me. I'm the guy that keeps trying to quit drinking but never seems to make it for keeps. Last year I managed 10/11 months with the help of AA, but then went 'back out' as they say for no good reason I can recall except that I have an addiction to alcohol.

I do however also have a big problem with AA being an atheist who was regularly reminded that AA is a 'spiritual' program. Anyway this isn't about AA bashing.

I referred myself to a counselling service before Xmas and sadly there was a long waiting list. I was finally offered an appointment a couple of weeks ago and have agreed to weekly sessions for twelve weeks.

So I am quitting (yet again). I feel determined but I am not foolishly confident. But I have to keep trying. If I stop trying alcohol will have won and I won't allow that if I have anything to do with it!
Old 03-15-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are back trying. Make this time stick.

Btw, I would have encouraged you even without such a DRAMATIC title you know. LOL!
Old 03-15-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Trying something new is a great plan. Glad you're committed to 12 weeks, you can accomplish a lot in 3 months. Never give up.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done for getting back to sobriety. Good luck. I hope you'll still be able to get support from the AA. Lots of Athiests and agnostics do so. Your post reminded me of the 13th March Daily Reflection. Maybe it could be helpful. Worth a try ...

' ... I understand spiritual things to be: unconditional love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, self-control and humility. Any time I allow selfishness, dishonesty, resentment and fear to be a part of me, I block out spiritual things. As I maintain my sobriety, growing spiritually becomes a lifelong process. My goal is spiritual growth, accepting that I’ll never have spiritual perfection.'

Could you still aspire to this kind of spiritual growth and spiritual values? Many do.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.

I’m not or have ever been religious but have a higher power and it’s not me! Been sober this way for a lot of years with no problem of what others beliefs are.
A lot of people gag when the word spiritual is mentioned without knowing what it means:
Spirituality is a process of personal transformation, either in accordance with traditional religious ideals, or, increasingly, oriented on subjective experience and psychological growth independently of any specific religious context.

It’s hard for me to fathom why one would choose being a miserable drunk feeling less than less rather than having a personal Higher Power. JMO.

BE WELL
Old 03-15-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Of course i remember you mentium ,

Glad your back and getting more support

keep on , m
Old 03-15-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the encouragement. I am seriously considering going back to AA (to answer those posts), partly because it is the only game in this particular town as far as group support is concerned. I hear what you say about your interpretation of the word 'spiritual' but I have to say that is not how it often comes over in the groups I attended.

I am also willing to concede that part of my objection to AA - possible much of it - is to do with a desire to carry on drinking.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welxcome bk bud
Old 03-15-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi.

I’m not or have ever been religious but have a higher power and it’s not me! Been sober this way for a lot of years with no problem of what others beliefs are.
A lot of people gag when the word spiritual is mentioned without knowing what it means:
Spirituality is a process of personal transformation, either in accordance with traditional religious ideals, or, increasingly, oriented on subjective experience and psychological growth independently of any specific religious context.

It’s hard for me to fathom why one would choose being a miserable drunk feeling less than less rather than having a personal Higher Power. JMO.

BE WELL
Brilliant. This needs to be its own thread.

Thank you.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 03-15-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good for you and good luck xxx