Notices

Reasons to stop.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reasons to stop.

I am trying to move closer to accepting and finding that "aha" moment. That moment where you realize that it is time. I thought I might just pick one of the things I miss most about pre-alcohol. .......

My Bicycle. I had a old bike that I would come straight home from work and ride 10-15 miles and I loved it. Since I started drinking, I sold that bike purchased a fancy Cannondale and have never even rode it.

I know that seems petty. I was curious what others have found most rewarding from putting down the bottle or anything for that matter.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That doesn't seem petty at all it's all the little thighs that add up :-)
Mine is knowing that my daughter isn't seeing me drinking every night and that I'm more 'present' with her. Have more concentration and (usually) motivation for day to day life. Knowing I'm sober when driving to work in the morning and not panicking every time I see a police car incase I'm pulled over. Knowing I'm not worrying my family and friends. Those are a few tho there's probably more. Thanks for the reminder as needed that tonight :-) xx
Old 03-16-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad my post helped you remember. I'm on the flip side of that. Piling up the reasons to stop. No kids here. I actually think not having kids makes it harder to quit. Of course that could be the denial talking.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vendetta View Post
I am trying to move closer to accepting and finding that "aha" moment. That moment where you realize that it is time. I thought I might just pick one of the things I miss most about pre-alcohol. .......

My Bicycle. I had a old bike that I would come straight home from work and ride 10-15 miles and I loved it. Since I started drinking, I sold that bike purchased a fancy Cannondale and have never even rode it.

I know that seems petty. I was curious what others have found most rewarding from putting down the bottle or anything for that matter.
I did the exact same thing and still ride my old bike. I like what you're saying about "pre-alcohol" though. I've been trying to find the old me, and all the things that got me through the boredom before I found booze. Cycling - any form of exercise for that matter - has been amazing. I've never been to an AA meeting but I'm treating my squat rack like my sponsor.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe I'm a hybrid of your situation. I started riding while drinking. Sobered up, and went from 15-20 miles a ride to between 45-70 miles a ride every single Saturday and Sunday. Not sure where you are on the cycling spectrum, but I'm a die hard enthusiast. Not only did quitting elevate my ride, it has funded my many thousands of dollars in bike purchases. BTW - red Specialized S-Works / Tarmac
Old 03-16-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice... It's been a long road. At this point though instead of going to a bar to drink I jump on this forum to get refocused. Even I do drink a few. I stay focused on the goal.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Maybe making a list of things you can do only if you're sober will be more positive than thinking of the bad things that go with drinking. I used both lists when I decided to not drink anymore.

There is some searching to be done, vendetta, but you will look back and wonder why you waited so long. You can do this!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Specialized S-Works / Tarmac...... nice.... those are components I've never even heard of. That is sweet.

I can't / won't ride when I'm not sober. Same with reading. I love doing it but I refuse to do it unless I'm sober.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wink

i bought new running shoes, getting back into it slowly and loving it, at work everyone is training for a Fund Raising Half Marathon for my favorite charity and I'm joined in with them.

if I were not sober I would have to be content to cheer them on because there would be not possibility of me participating

OH and then there is that great warm fuzzy feeling I get each night when I go to bed sober, I think about ALL OF THE POSSIBILITIES that are out there for me

Pulling for YOU!!!!

Trish
Old 03-16-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is definitely alot more peaceful going to bed relaxed with a clear head.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Specialized S-Works / Tarmac...... nice.... those are components I've never even heard of. That is sweet.

I can't / won't ride when I'm not sober. Same with reading. I love doing it but I refuse to do it unless I'm sober.
I feel the same way. There are some things I only do (and have always done) sober. Cycling's one of them. It was a long time ago, but when I was in high school I used to ride 25-30 miles a day. I'd ride until I couldn't get any further and then call my sister from a pay phone to come pick me up :P There's something insanely therapeutic about pushing yourself to the limit.

I like freshstart57's idea of making a list. I'm gonna work on that tomorrow. Truth be told, there are far more things I do sober than when drinking. I think breaking them out in a list and really looking at them could encourage me to focus on the sober activities and engage in them more often.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is definitely alot more peaceful going to bed relaxed with a clear head.
I feel like Superman the next morning when I do this. And the longer I make it the more amazing I feel.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to think that by drinking, I was "doing whatever I want" and that I was somehow winning the game of life. In reality, I was just hiding from the world because I was too afraid to get off my butt and start living. Today I wake up every morning and walk up to my roof, where I have to crane my neck to look straight up to the top of a huge volcano. Now that's what I want. And if I have been able to achieve this...what else might I be able to do? Aha! Now I see why sobriety is such a good fit for me and for so many others!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Theres lots to choose from life kept on improving but i started buying books again
Old 03-18-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Getting one's ability to concentrate for more than 30 seconds back! Less fear! less anxiety! Having more choices! Reclaiming one's self respect.

..to name but a few.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just having the ability to see the beginning , middle and end of all thought processes is near miraculous for me. Then of course being able to act on them instead of everything I do being peripheral to the drinking.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There's nothing petty about realizing you've sacrificed your passions for the bottle.

I think it's a sign that you're developing awareness and it is a positive action toward sobriety.

So.... Will you ride Today?

Today is the best day....