Notices

Craving.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving.

Almost 6 months and I am craving like never before. I can't keep my mind out of "wanting to feel buzzed". It's like I want to know what it feels like. Isn't that stupid? I know what it feels like. I shouldn't have tried to quit smoking. I'm smoking again but my foundation is way shaky.

Jennifer
Old 03-14-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Hey Jennifer, eat something sweet that is what I do it will go away. Everytime I am craving eat some carmel. Find something sweet you enjoy eating and see if it works...
Old 03-14-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ice cream,/ ice cream and chocolate, /ice cream, chocolate truffles, whipped cream.

this is always a winning combo for my cravings

You'll get past it and your sober muscle will be that much stronger
Old 03-14-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennifer, you can get through this. It's your AV speaking to you and you know it's not your friend. Try to distract yourself for a few minutes and hopefully it will pass.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's only a 'feeling' and doesn't have to become an 'action'. Ignore it or talk back to it, screaming NO NO NO!! You can get thru this sober and come out stronger for it.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It feels like anxiety, disappointed in yourself, starting over at day 1... Nope you don't want anyone of that. I agree with ice cream! You are stronger then you think!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Employ all your tools from your sobriety toolbelt

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Play the mental tape Addiction Relapse Prevention Plan to Save Your Life

can you phone a trusted friend or another person who understands what is happening ?

i would stay active on SR interact and it will pass

Spk soon
Old 03-14-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't do it!
6 months is great!
You should be proud
Old 03-14-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please don't drink Jen. You will really regret it. I would give anything to have 6 months!!!

Hang in there!!!
Old 03-14-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jennifer,

I made it 6 months sober before and decided I could handle 2 drinks one evening. I haven't been sober for more than 2 months since. I'm confident I'll make it 6 months sober again this time, but I wasted 5+ months trying to get to this point where I'm motivated and determined to get and stay sober.

I can only speak of my experience, but it was one of my biggest mistakes. Not to mention that feeling of regret that comes after... I kept wanting to take it back and have my original sobriety date. Stay strong! We're all here for you!
Old 03-14-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'll echo the sweets suggestion in addition to the great feedback you've already received. It really does help. In fact, I'm about to partake of some pie in honor of Pi Day. Care to join me?

Otherwise just keep talking & reaching out. You can NEVER go wrong with that.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drank a cranberry/tonic at work (when this happened) and now I'm eating an ice cream sandwich.
I am ok for tonight. The sugar thing makes total sense. I haven't been eating much sugar.
Thank you so much guys. I appreciate it sooooo much.

Jennifer
Old 03-14-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! I'm glad you kicked your AV's arse!!! You rock!!!
Old 03-14-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hang in there CG,
I waited a year before I gave up tobacco, not for any particular reason besides I liked the tobacco buzz... don't let one thing get in the way of the other.
more importantly, take care of that old mr alcohol first, then when you get strength and experience from that, kicking tobaccos butt will be easier,
Old 03-14-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah I will hold out on the tobacco. I was told not to bother until I had a year. Why do I insist on not listening? Lol! Hopefully I can get my brain back on track.

Jennifer
Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I gotta hand it to myself. For someone as stubborn and know it all as myself, I did actually follow many of the suggestions for early sobriety. The ones that made sense at least.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I follow most of them...just not that one. My brain wanted to prove people wrong. That's my old way of thinking rearing it's ugly head. I'm working on it, lol.

Jennifer
Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jen, I was 'fortunate' in that I had no place to be. I lost my job but I was able to stay above water financially. I had a lot, A LOT, of down time. I kind of hibernated from society for a year. I never realized how bad my drinking truly was until I had time to think about it. I am still discovering things about my past I wish didn't happen. But the only thing I can do is make myself stronger every day.
And if it means sacrificing something for a while, then that's what I have to do. Sobriety was my only goal for a year. I didn't lose focus after 10 months and think I got it in the bag. I was steadfastly committed to ensuring myself that I was ready to function again with alcohol being a distant memory. Or at least far enough away that it was no longer a factor in my life. I did the "year" thing before I was ready to move on.
I fully grasped the concept of "waiting a year" before making major decisions or changes. It's one of things many fail to uunderstand who have spent YEARS in addiction. It is not an overnight, 'flick of the switch' event that we are suddenly fixed.
It does take time.