Notices

Hi everyone.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

I am 23 years old, I have been drinking every day since age 16. I always controlled it and drank only 2 glasses of wine per evening.
Two years ago I started to drink much more, started drinking in the mornings, to numb the crippling anxiety I would get. Soon I was drinking 1 and a half bottles of wine a day, then 2 a day.

I am very ashamed, I have always been an anxious person but since I have been drinking so much it is 10 times worse. I feel I can not function with out alcohol. I know I am an alcoholic, and I want to stop before I become like my father (he has been an alcoholic 40 years).

I visited a doctor about my panic attacks 6 months ago, and he prescribed Xanax 0.5mg 3-4 times a day. I have not been taking it as I am afraid of getting addicted to that too. But I have decided I want to quit drinking, but I can't tell anyone as no - one knows about my drinking. They think I am a social drinker, but don't I'm basically always drunk.
So I decided that if I quit alone, and just take the xanax to get me through the withdrawals, I should be okay? I will not abuse it, I just need something to get me through these days.

I took one 0.5mg on Thursday, and it got me through the day, albeit with a "depressed" lethargic feeling. When the nausea and shakes hit me in the night, I had 2 glasses of wine, and it got me to sleep for a few hours.

Yesterday day time I did not take any Xanax, as I knew I would be having some alcohol at a dinner party last night, (but was planning to keep it moderate), however after 1 bottle of wine, everyone started drinking whiskey, and so I had about 3 whiskeys, and was VERY drunk. I have been feeling ill all day with crippling anxiety, shakes, nausea, and unable to move from the sofa. I took one 0.5mg xanax 6 hours ago. Feeling shakey right now, but I am trying to stay strong and not drink. Instead, I am planning to take a 0.5mg xanax to help me sleep tonight. I have also been taking multi vitamins and B complex.

Am I doing this okay? I can't afford to see a doctor, and I also don't want to tell anyone in real life about my problem.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you all. God bless you all.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

have you considered AA?

face to face help and an understanding community is an incredibly powerful thing.

congratulations to you for making this choice.... it is a beautiful opportunity you've given yourself; to avoid many years, decades of suffering....

I wish I'd begun taking it seriously at your age.

Welcome.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I appreciate your fast reply.

I was thinking about AA, but the nearest meeting is in a city 2 hours from me. (I live in Europe in a small village). I have no means of transport to get there. I also don't want to tell anyone because it is one of those villages where "everyone knows everyone". I am engaged, and I know my fiance has started to smell the alcohol on me, but he has no idea about the frequency of my drinking or the amount.

He would pay for me to get help from the doctor, I am sure. But he has been through so much stress of his own lately, I really don't want to burden him with this too.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, strivingwoman, to SR.

We cannot give any medical advice; it is against the forum rules.

Withdrawal can be dangerous. Is anyone with you?

Have you considered going to the ER for a medically supervised detox? If you are in the US, I don't think that they can turn you away for inability to pay.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Strivingwoman its nice to meet you
Old 03-14-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!

Well done for addressing this at a young age. One thing I would careful with is hanging around people that drink in the first few months. It can be a big trigger and if your sobriety legs and coping tools are not solid, you might be tempted.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you SoberLeigh. Sorry I wasn't aware it was against the forumrules.

I have my fiance who comes to my house a few times a day. I have told him that I am just not feeling well today. I don't think he knows that is withdrawal. I am feeling better than I thought, mostly just nausea, shakes and anxiety at the moment. I do have some alcohol in the house for if things get scary, but at that point, I think I would just call the hospital, (but it's last resort).
Old 03-14-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I feel much better just talking about this. It feels like the burden is lifting a little.

Thepatman, there is a woman I usually drink with most evenings, she does not drink nearly as much as me, but we usually have 2 glasses together. She called me today and I apologised and said I am busy, because I knew I would be tempted.

Tomorrow evening I will be in a situation where I will be tempted, a birthday dinner, but I am going to say I have not been feeling well, and try to resist any alcohol.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. I didn't tell anyone either, but managed on my own. It really is a good idea to talk to a dr. I think you will find that your anxiety decreases considerably when you stop drinking. It did for me.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna. I am so glad your anxiety improved, I really hope mine does too. (It was never this bad before I started drinking so much).

I think part of it is also the stupid things I do while drunk, making me feel even more anxious. I really hate who I have become since drinking so much. I am usually a quiet, shy reserved person. But when I drink I am loud and obnoxious. The next day the guilt feels like it's going to kill me.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's the thing. It becomes a vicious cycle. My behaviour got worse, I was less responsible at home, I drank more and the guilt and anxiety following were just horrible. I was overwhelmed with negative feelings about myself, which, not surprisingly led me back to drinking again. Know for sure that you can free yourself and lessen your anxiety. I had anxiety issues long before I began to drink, and I still do, but now they are manageable for the most part and I'm okay with that.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strivingwoman View Post
Thank you. I appreciate your fast reply.

I was thinking about AA, but the nearest meeting is in a city 2 hours from me. (I live in Europe in a small village). I have no means of transport to get there. I also don't want to tell anyone because it is one of those villages where "everyone knows everyone". I am engaged, and I know my fiance has started to smell the alcohol on me, but he has no idea about the frequency of my drinking or the amount.

He would pay for me to get help from the doctor, I am sure. But he has been through so much stress of his own lately, I really don't want to burden him with this too.
If you're willing, I suggest you consider reading the Big Book online. You can learn a lot from the text of AA and between that and this forum, you can get a good start on supporting your decision to embrace sobriety.

Face to face support was essential to me and seems to be a key for many in this journey of recovery. I hope you'll consider going to AA or finding a qualified therapist to help you.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome striving! Alcohol gives us crazy anxiety! Be honest with your Dr. Keep posting!
Old 03-14-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and as ThePatman says, its great you have such awareness at such a young age I wish I had been the same. xxx
Old 03-14-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Originally Posted by Strivingwoman View Post
I am 23 years old, I have been drinking every day since age 16. I always controlled it and drank only 2 glasses of wine per evening.
Two years ago I started to drink much more, started drinking in the mornings, to numb the crippling anxiety I would get. Soon I was drinking 1 and a half bottles of wine a day, then 2 a day.

I am very ashamed, I have always been an anxious person but since I have been drinking so much it is 10 times worse. I feel I can not function with out alcohol. I know I am an alcoholic, and I want to stop before I become like my father (he has been an alcoholic 40 years).

I visited a doctor about my panic attacks 6 months ago, and he prescribed Xanax 0.5mg 3-4 times a day. I have not been taking it as I am afraid of getting addicted to that too. But I have decided I want to quit drinking, but I can't tell anyone as no - one knows about my drinking. They think I am a social drinker, but don't I'm basically always drunk.
So I decided that if I quit alone, and just take the xanax to get me through the withdrawals, I should be okay? I will not abuse it, I just need something to get me through these days.

I took one 0.5mg on Thursday, and it got me through the day, albeit with a "depressed" lethargic feeling. When the nausea and shakes hit me in the night, I had 2 glasses of wine, and it got me to sleep for a few hours.

Yesterday day time I did not take any Xanax, as I knew I would be having some alcohol at a dinner party last night, (but was planning to keep it moderate), however after 1 bottle of wine, everyone started drinking whiskey, and so I had about 3 whiskeys, and was VERY drunk. I have been feeling ill all day with crippling anxiety, shakes, nausea, and unable to move from the sofa. I took one 0.5mg xanax 6 hours ago. Feeling shakey right now, but I am trying to stay strong and not drink. Instead, I am planning to take a 0.5mg xanax to help me sleep tonight. I have also been taking multi vitamins and B complex.

Am I doing this okay? I can't afford to see a doctor, and I also don't want to tell anyone in real life about my problem.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you all. God bless you all.
Hi there, welcome to SR... I have a lot of anxiety myself and what helps me is going to AA, I am not saying is for everyone. However, it helps me keep sober and it helps me face my anxiety and problems.

There are clinics that are open 24 hours and can help you. I understand about cant afford a doctor. There are clinics can help you with all that.

Anyways, good luck
Old 03-14-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to have you with us Striving. As others have said, it's wonderful you're taking a look at what alcohol's doing to you at 23. My life would've been completely different if I had done the same. I kept insisting I could manage it. I know it'll help you to be here.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your here Strivingwoman
Old 03-14-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When doctors do a medically supervised detox, meds are often given - benzos, like what you have. That is to calm the awful withdrawal anxiety. The w/d anxiety often led me back to drinking cause I just couldn't stand it.

If you feel really bad, please get medical help.

You'll find lots of support here. Welcome to the family!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Strivingwoman!!
Old 03-15-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You're very blessed you are inquiring about this at such a young age.. Keep reading and get help, here or elsewhere.. Be careful with the Xanax, they're serious and are abused too.. Wishing you the best!