Notices

Questions about my problem

Old 08-17-2004, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about my problem

Chris here. I have been a heavy drinker for about ten years. I drink around 6-10 beers nightly. I don't drink all day just at night. I need to quit. I have a great wife / job / family. And need to quit for them. I have not had a sober night in 10 years! This is sad! I have tried to only have a drink or two and the result is a very sleepless night, and very scary feelings. I want to know where I stand. What are some stories of others. I need to know that it is not to late. I'm 29 years old, I look healthy, but I'm afraid that the damage is done so why try if I'm already going to die from the damage I have done. I know this sounds strange but for some reason I want to hear someone elses horror story / recovery story so I know that there are people alot worse off them me that have recovered. Again where do I stand? Thanks and God bless.

Chris
Old 08-17-2004, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fallen Knight

Welcome Chris. You have found your way to a place where people are gunuinely caring and compassionate. Your story is similar to mine, and you'll find that happens quite a bit here also. I'm 31, married with a great job and family. I too have not been sober in almost 10 years. I am starting an outpatient detox this morning (in about an hour). The one thing I can tell you is that you'll have to do this for yourself, not for your family. I had tried to stop drinking/smoking (weed) in the past to answer a challenge from other people (family). I failed repeatedly because my heart wasn't in it.

This time is different because it is being driven by myself. In fact, my wife will be travelling across the country to go see her mother for a week. We have a 2-year old and another on the way. She has her hands full as it is and I don't want to be a burden to her. This is my battle and I'm walking into the fray without hesitation. Though I know she cannot be here for me, I know I walk into the fray with all the love and caring that a great family can give. I'm looking forward to the start of detox. I'm tired of being hungover every morning. I'm tired of getting sick if I don't drink.

I don't know much Chris, but I do know you have arrived at a great place. You've taken an important step. Welcome.

(((HUGS)))
Old 08-17-2004, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris,

Your story doesn't sound strange at all. Lots of us have concerns about various health issues due to drinking. We can do a lot of damage to our bodies. And, the sleeplessness and scary feelings are part of withdrawing from alcohol. You might check with your dr before you stop drinking because there can be problems withdrawing. It's not a fun thing to do, but it can sure be done and you can begin to regain control of your life.

I'm Anna, recovering alcoholic and I'm glad you found us.

Anna
Old 08-17-2004, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

welcome to SR ! First off try not to trouble your self about problems you dont have yet . I was always good for that projecting into the future in a very negative manner .Nine months ago my disease took me into round the clock drinking and drugging , and yes it was a horror . I came to the realization that I could not drink like " normal " people and went to a detox facility which started me on my way , I did outpatient treatment and use AA as my recovery program today . " It works , it really does "I suggest you pick up the phone and call a detox or the number for AA in your phone book, you can let go of your misery today if you choose , life without booze can be great . You can do this ! Prayers Trish