Notices

It's time

Old 03-13-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's time

I'm actually stunned that I am writing this.

Hi, everyone. Today I woke up and cried. After 10 years of drinking 2 bottles of wine a night to get to sleep, I have decided to seek help. I've known for a long time that I am an alcoholic, I can admit it to myself but not to others.

I don't have a "sobriety date" or a success story to share. I guess I am just looking for inspiration... it is time to stop. If others can do it then so can I...right? I'm 28.

Thank you all so much...
Old 03-13-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a big one to admit isn't it. I did the same only 18 days ago so I can't offer much in inspiration, but it'll only take a few clicks of the button to find it on these pages.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

KEEP COMING and read a lot of posts to learn about getting and staying sober. It works if we work it!

BE WELL
Old 03-13-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

It's amazing to see so many people who understand the struggle. I really think this forum will be an inspiration for me.... although I have to be honest and say that I don't think I could just stop. I tried before.....poured everything down the sink..and ended up with night terrors, the shakes....unbelievable anxiety...... and eventually a trip out to buy some bottles. You guys are so strong....
Old 03-13-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For the most part stopping is not a big problem, not saying it’s easy, the problem with the majority is staying stopped. AA has helped millions in this respect.

My favorite saying is “ If we do not pick up the first drink we won’t have to TRY to get sober AGAIN.”

BE WELL
Old 03-13-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Kate4889 View Post
it is time to stop.
The decision to stop drinking is but the first step. I hope you follow through with seeking help. As you've discovered, in your previous tries, that it is easy to crumble to the insistent urge to drink. So learn what you can about alcoholism and how to recovery from it.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrQuit View Post
It's a big one to admit isn't it. I did the same only 18 days ago so I can't offer much in inspiration, but it'll only take a few clicks of the button to find it on these pages.

Good luck!
Hi, thanks a lot. Also well done! 18 days sounds like such little time in the normal world, but for someone breaking out of the grip of alcohol addiction it is something to be very proud of indeed.

I have decided to make a go of this, starting tonight when I opt out of Friday beers. The thing people don't realise is that when Friday beers finish and people go home to bed, I go home to drink whatever I can find (usually a few bottles of wine which I've deliberately bought earlier in the day).

It helps a lot to know there are people out there fighting similar demons.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome! Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life.

Don't be surprised if good things start to happen. At one time I was utterly convinced I needed alcohol to help me sleep. Turns out I sleep MUCH better after I sobered up. It took a couple of weeks, but now I sleep like a baby!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kate4889 View Post
Hi, thanks a lot. Also well done! 18 days sounds like such little time in the normal world, but for someone breaking out of the grip of alcohol addiction it is something to be very proud of indeed.

I have decided to make a go of this, starting tonight when I opt out of Friday beers. The thing people don't realise is that when Friday beers finish and people go home to bed, I go home to drink whatever I can find (usually a few bottles of wine which I've deliberately bought earlier in the day).

It helps a lot to know there are people out there fighting similar demons.
I did EXACTLY the same thing, few bottles of wine bought earlier, yep. I'm only 55 days so not much inspiration either, but I definitely understand this and I too believed I couldn't really just stop. But here I am, so far no booze. This place is truly so helpful, try to get involved and reach out for help. real life support helps too, there's lots of options - take advantage of everything you can I say!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rooting for you, Ms. Kate! Once you break the physical addiction, you will have the mental one to contend with (some say that's the hardest part). I have found it helpful to employ the "turn the other cheek" method in my wine struggle. I choose not to fight her. I am powerless over her, so I keep her locked up in the attic. And although she taunts me, if I choose not to engage her, I don't have to fight a battle I know I will lose. It also helps to really stare at your wine addiction from a different vantage point. We romanticize it, normalize it, beautify it's ugliness. Keep an image in your head of what she really is. And romantic, normal and beautiful she is not. It's a lie she works very hard to keep us believing. Remember the ugliness when she starts singing to you. Glad you are here, Kate!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi!! You are not alone! I decided myself that it was also time to give up my 2 bottle of red wine a day addiction!! I'm a single parent with 2 small kids who HATE it when I drink! They know instantly 'when mommy is drunk' I would drink a bottle of wine on my way home ( yup drink and drive) cook dinner check on the kids, homework etc then tackled the other bottle once I put them to bed! Every single night!!

It's crazy how this works! And how our minds justify our actions! "I'm a stressed out mother who deserves to relax" just a hot mess!!!

I just can't do it anymore I won't allow this to happen anymore! 6 days today!!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Kate!

Congratulations on deciding that now is the time. You're 100% correct in knowing you can do this. Don't even let the idea that you can't into your mind.

I am still pretty new but I also quit at 28. The biggest hurdle was changing my thinking that everyone our age drinks.

Glad you found SR. Posting thoughts, questions and cries for help here really keeps me on track.

You've got this!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you are getting the shakes when you stop you should either taper-off or see a Dr for medication. Withdrawal can cause serious health issues for some.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the best decision you ever made. And just so you know, you DO have a success story - you're here aren't you? Your sobriety date? Today has a nice ring to it, don't you think? You're worth sobriety! Don't ever forget it.

Stick around & keep reaching out. Might help to join our party tonight instead of the one that you have to put yourself in a position to say no so early on. Even the strongest of us had to learn to crawl again first. It helps to completely remove yourself from any situations that involve alcohol early on. Just a suggestion...

Again, welcome! I'm so glad you're here.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can make it what you want it to be. You just have to do it. I found AVRT really opened my eyes and helped. I will have 1 yr in 3 days!!!

It can be done and YOU can make it happen. Use SR as much as you need to. It has helped me a lot.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would suggest you go to a doctor and tell them how much you've been drinking for how long, and ask for some help in quitting.

They can give you some meds to ease the symptoms--I quit cold-turkey and had some bad issues with racing heart, blood pressure spikes, etc. since your body is conditioned to the alcohol.

I know it isn't easy to tell the doctor what's been going on, but it is a good first step
and may keep you safer and much more comfortable in the withdrawal period. It sounds like you were physically so sick trying to cold-turkey quit it was unmanageable.

Why not give yourself the very best chance to succeed?
In hindsight, I really wish I had done this.

Welcome to the list and know that you can quit and we will support you!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done on making the biggest step, owning up to things x
Old 03-13-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kate!!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for your support. I feel grateful to have come across this site and I think you are all so inspirational (and helpful!). Tonight is my first night telling people that I "don't feel like drinking", which is basically like Father Christmas saying he doesn't feel like Christmas.

I probably won't sleep but I'm going to do it without alcohol.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Kate