Notices

campral and headaches?

Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

campral and headaches?

Am on day 18 today and have been taking campral for about 10 days..I've posted before that I'm suffering from killer headaches and am just wondering if the campral is the cause? Has anyone else experienced this? I've checked and it is a possible side effect .. I don't really want to stop taking it but I'm struggling to function with this permanent throbbing pain. Am seeing my GP tomorrow but as l said l was just wondering...
Old 03-12-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have any side effects from campral and I have been taking it for over three months. but best you discuss it with your GP. Have a great day
Old 03-12-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I took campral but didnt suffer headaches

It could be dehydration on day 18 while the body is working overtime to repair the damage

Drink plenty of water & book a Dr apt
Old 03-12-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's best to get it checked out with your dr. I hope you feel better.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angel70 View Post
Am on day 18 today and have been taking campral for about 10 days..I've posted before that I'm suffering from killer headaches and am just wondering if the campral is the cause? Has anyone else experienced this? I've checked and it is a possible side effect .. I don't really want to stop taking it but I'm struggling to function with this permanent throbbing pain. Am seeing my GP tomorrow but as l said l was just wondering...
I've been on it a week and have had no side effects.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had no issues when I was on Campral. Felt nothing, good or bad (which, I suppose, is a good thing).

Drink more water. Pop an Advil.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
I had no issues when I was on Campral. Felt nothing, good or bad (which, I suppose, is a good thing). Drink more water. Pop an Advil.
Just curious, how long were you on it and why did you go off?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been taking campral for the past week. I was prescribed 3 doses per day. I had some very minor headaches for the first couple of days that would appear around the time I was due to take a dose, then disappear when I took the dose.
According to my doctor, pharmacist, and literature campral side effects are rare and very mild, if you are experiencing severe headaches i don't think campral is the cause. Hope they get better
Old 11-11-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've been on Campral for about three months (sober for 4 months) and I have headaches. But I'm also still on a small dose of Clonidine (aka Catapress the a2 agonist blood pressure med, not Klonopin the infamous benzo) to help keep the glutamate over-activity at bay during PAWS. So I'm not sure which one, if either, may be causing my headaches. But both have that listed as a side effect. I cannot wait to be off of these meds and have PAWS over and done with, already!

The headaches are not constant, but they are annoying. They seem to coincide with episodes of brain fog, trouble concentrating, etc. I've also noticed that when I first went sober, I was drinking water like a fish. Over the past month or so, my thirst has greatly decreased and I have to make myself stay hydrated. It's possible that's also a contributor to the headaches, because when I stay hydrated (and well fed), they aren't as bad.

I've also seen quite a few posts on SR forum here that make me wonder if the headaches aren't just a symptom of PAWS? It seems fairly common here, even if it's not listed as a symptom on typical PAWS info websites.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

PAWS | Digital Dharma
Old 11-11-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I had head aches but they were not severe
Old 11-11-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you have a doctor who understands about PAWs CometJo?

D
Old 11-12-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Do you have a doctor who understands about PAWs CometJo?

D
Yeah, my primary care doc has been the one helping me with the initial withdrawals and aftermath. I think he knows quite a bit about most medical issues, and he's dealt with addiction recovery before, helps out prison inmates, etc. He said this kind of stuff could last six months or more. I have a follow-up appt with him this coming Monday and I'll be asking about these symptoms and such then, and also a realistic time frame to get off the PAWS meds.

I wonder if there are any doctors in bigger metropolitan areas that specialize just in addiction recovery and such?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Went to the doctor yesterday and asked him about the headaches. He had no idea what might be causing them. But he did say I could keep tapering off the Clonidine as the agitation/anxiety from PAWS is gradually letting up.

I'm starting to wonder if the headaches are because of tapering off the Clonidine alone, or in combination with PAWS. I guess once I am able to completely stop the meds, I'll have a pretty good idea which one it was.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Been six months sober now. Since my last post on this thread, my headaches are about gone, or at least very reduced now. But I've also quit taking the clonidine as I no longer need it to keep the agitation at bay. I'm still taking some Campral for a couple more months, so I guess the headaches weren't from it to begin with. Not sure if the headaches were from the from the clonidine, or if time away from alcohol is the best healer?
Old 02-24-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi CometJo I just read your post and glad you feeling better. Fair play to you for coming back and giving update. I am on 2 months sober tomorrow and on campral, I think its helping especially with resetting my brain and cravings, hard to know if its the campral or just recovery with time sober. Its a bit of a bummer taking 6 tablets a day, but better than the drink I suppose, How are you now? did you finish 1 year on campral? I wish you all the best. C
Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Taken Campral for 2 months off and on. 6/day. Try to take them when I have urges. I just get so hot!

Awesome 6 months. You give me hope.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been taking Campral for about 2 months now and have not had any side effects, I don't think. I believe the dose was 333 mg, 3 x day. But medication impacts everyone differently. I would consult with your physician to see if (s)he thinks there are any problems.