Notices

very bad things

Old 03-12-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

very bad things

I have had a drinking problem for a long time and have never got sobriety to stick. I can get a couple months here and there and then I always seem to fall off the horse. This last time I ended up getting arrested for dui and making a huge mess of my family life. I am 37, way to old for this. have been up w the anxiety attacks all night and I am really just not seeing any positive spin I can put on this. Just looking for support.
Thanks
Old 03-12-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome Buster.

The positive spin is that you have the opportunity to embark upon a sober (and better) life. Do you have a plan to take advantage of this opportunity? If not, then I recommend making one to suit you.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Buster!

I would say the positive side to sobriety is never getting another DUI, feeling better both physically and mentally and turning your life around.

Maybe a visit to your Doctor can help with the anxiety. Mine went way down when I quit drinking. Took me a good three months to feel like my old self.

You can do this! Support was a major factor in my recovery. So happy you joined us.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Buster its nice to meet you
Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the words. Definitely going for the sobriety. When I am good at it, I am good at it. I will be here a lot I think.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Buster. If you really want to, you don't have to drink ever again. That's if you REALLY want to.
Then you won't have to worry about getting a DUI at 50 like I did. And did that stop me? Nope. It wasn't until I lost my job 5 years later that I finally decided to wave the white flag. I decided that day I was never gonna drink again. Almost 13 months and I feel like I never drank.
You can do it too. You'll have almost a 20 year head start on where I am.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
Welcome Buster!

I would say the positive side to sobriety is never getting another DUI, feeling better both physically and mentally and turning your life around.

Maybe a visit to your Doctor can help with the anxiety. Mine went way down when I quit drinking. Took me a good three months to feel like my old self.

You can do this! Support was a major factor in my recovery. So happy you joined us.
Hi Buster and welcome to SR!

I echo Opivotal completely -- my anxiety went down when I quit drinking. (I'm still in early recovery.) I had a few rough days and nights during the withdrawal period, but the anxiety does level out. I was VERY surprised by that as I'd been using alcohol to self-medicate for anxiety.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I found lots of positives with getting sober. You don't ever have to wake up hungover, do anything stupid that you regret the next day, it's better for your long-term health, and you can do what you want to do whenever you want to do it (with exception of drinking). You had also mentioned it's made a mess of your family life. With getting sober, it becomes possible to try and repair some of these relationships.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Buster, we do understand how hard this is.

Try to not be overwhelmed by messes that need to be cleaned up. You will be able to get through this.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support. I really needed it this morning.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here for you anytime bud
Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, buster.

Alcohol can wreak havoc in our lives. The good news is that we can begin to reverse the damages by solidly committing to sobriety and leading that sober life with resolve and conviction.

It is good to learn from our mistakes; the knowledge allows us to move forwardinto a brighter and better future.

Glad you found SR.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Buster, you are not alone. It doesn't make it go away, but you are not alone. Sorry for you hardships, but take advantage of the wisdom on this site and you can move forward. If you commit to sobriety, you never have to worry about another DUI or making a mess of your life again. You can do it. You're young.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you Buster. I got a dui too - but I was much older than you. You're taking action much sooner than many of us did. You can get free and have a great life.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sometimes, The best positive spin is a complete life 360.

You hold the steering wheel of your life, no one else does. With God on the front seat beside you to guide you, there won't be any DUI, only a great drive along the cost line with plenty of time to check out how much life is beautiful without Alcohol.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Buster!!