sleepless in northern virginia

Old 08-16-2004, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sleepless in northern virginia

It's after 11pm EST. I have to be up in less than eight hours for work....I can't sleep yet.
Not because I am anxious or lonely or hungry, stressed, over-caffinated, or any of these things. I am contently procrastinating over going to bed -as usual. I have a nice, squishy queen bed. Central air, a ceiling fan, a floor fan and lots of covers on the bed. I sleep blissfully alone, the room is dark and quiet. Every night I want to squeeze every wonderful minute out of the day that I can, and I procrastinate ending it. Sleep comes very easily to me and the alarm clock for work bellows all too soon every morning.
(I get up an extra hour early every day to sit outside, listen to the birdies and procrastinate, enjoying the morning.)

I've been with the AlAnon program for only a few months, and I'm enjoying every bit of my new life BUT I CAN'T GET TO SLEEP ON TIME!

Thanks for letting me vent. Any thoughts?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hehehe, I love this post!!! How much I see me there too, I am the same. Since I have been in recovery I hate for the good feelings to end. I found over time however my body rebelled on my mind and decided I had to have rest too. With work, and kids it didn't take too long. Are you napping in the day? if so you might want to stop that for a bit and see if it helps you drift off easier. I had to try a little otc med like tylenol pm to help me out. Check with your doc first though and make sure it's allright. Hugs! Teggie
Old 08-16-2004, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

need to visit the magic chocolate factory.
The only way you can get there is when you are sleeping.
Once there, your every wish is given. Chocolate from any place in the world you want it from. The best of the best chocolate. You can eat as much as you want and never gain a pound...as it is the magic chocolate factory.

BUT as I said... you need to be sleeping to get there.

May your every dream be filled with such joy and blessings.

hmmm I was listening to a preacher about a week back. He gave a wonderful word picture... How as a parent we like to take a look at our children as the sleep. The awe of how cute they are and how quiet they are. Even as adults, God our parent in heaven... He looks down on us and watches us sleep with a smile on His face as we would have for our own children. Go to sleep so God will smile on you *SMILE*
Old 08-17-2004, 04:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

RED HI..
I can really relate. All my good thoughts and "want to" all start around 5PM.
Hard, Real BUMMER to be a night person when have to live in an 8 to 5 world.
Worse yet, when my head hits the pillow the mind races into worry, guilt, regrets , but then once asleep, sooo hard to wake up. I have no solutions or suggestions, but sure hope you find answers. clancy46
Old 08-17-2004, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hey Red,
When I can't sleep, whether it is because of good thoughts or bad, I pray. I make myself lay down and close my eyes and I say, "Ok God, do your thing. I am ready. I can't turn my mind off. I can't reach the switch. Would you please do it for me?"

It works most of the time. Hugs, Magic
Old 08-17-2004, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I can't sleep instead of counting sheep I try to name off all the people I've ever met whose names I can think of. (yes *shy* even people on this forum and the other that I hang out on) Keeps my mind away from things (good or bad) and keep me from sleep. *shrug* Good luck and sweet dreams when you get there.

And while we're on the topic a cute sleepy time rhyme:

Good Night sleep tight
don't let the bed bugs bite
and if they do take a shoe
and beat them till they're black and blue
Old 08-17-2004, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank everyone for your responses! I really appreciate your time and thoughts.

~R