Death certificate: "complications" from COPD - HUH?????

Old 03-11-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In search of myself

Death certificate: "complications" from COPD - HUH?????

Yes, my husband smoked but I smoked until 10/03. He was a lightweight. He also ran marathons, worked out, and was generally physically fit.

I looked through his doctors' visits over the past year. The exams showed nothing remarkable about his lung/breathing functions. In fact, his liver enzymes were elevated and his sodium and potassium levels were low.

I expected the death certificate to indicate malnutrition, cirrhosis, or pancreatitis. But "complications" from COPD? That says "death by dying from a generic something-or-other."

The coroner told me my husband had very early-onset emphysema. But, like I said, I knew his smoking habits. I was a much heavier smoker than him. And I knew loads of people who smoked more than he ever did.

Granted, I don't rule it out. But does anyone here know the link between chronic alcoholism and COPD? I'm not coming up with any particularly meaningful information thus far.

The cause of death certainly surprised me.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All I know is that COPD can cause cardiac arrest. My grandfather who was an alcoholic and smoker with COPD, died of a heart attack. Maybe that's what they meant?
Old 03-11-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know that you want definitive answers, Erin. What you do know for certain is that he lost out on a good chunk of his life due to not being sober, whether he died from COPD or something else. And there's a strong chance that the heavy drinking compromised his body in some way or another that contributed to his early death. This must bring all of the pain back to the surface. I am so sorry for your loss.

Sending hugs and prayers.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's possible that he had respiratory complications from his body trying to compensate for the acid/base imbalance called by drinking.....
Old 03-12-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DMC

Honestly, cause of death is a paperwork thing, and it's usually a best-guess, unless there was an autopsy done. (OK, it's always a best-guess in my world.) A coroner isn't going to have access to his medical records, so it's even less likely they'll nail it. The biggest part is natural vs non-natural, at which point law enforcement and the medical examiner get involved. "Complications of chronic coronary artery disease... complications of COPD..." are pretty standard when you aren't totally sure.

Legally, it also has implications for insurance situations. Whatever was put on there doesn't really matter unless it draws law enforcement's attention.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree that without an autopsy, the cause of death is likely to be a "best guess." If there's something in the medical history that suggests a cause, and the observations "fit," then that's what goes on the death certificate.

I'm sure there were a lot of things going on with him, Erin. Alcoholics tend to have multiple health problems. I'm sorry this feels like one more piece of the puzzle.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

perhaps the COD was worded in such a way as to not cause question if there is an insurance policy payout?

just guessing here along with you.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

They have to list something as a COD. Unless its a high profile person, they are going to list the first best innocuous cause. Example. My father died at 94. Cause of death was heart failure. Yes when someone dies of old age the heart ceases to function. And that doesn't cause anyone to question foul play etc. It was the easiest on my mom and his caregivers. Had they listed a COD that listed any drugs whatsoever, then cops have to ask questions. And then the insurance etc.

For some reason they are shying away from COD=Natural causes. Don't know why.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

just oh my ... prayers that you are in a better state of well being soon.. and love from so many of us..
Old 03-12-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do know Erin that there are some really terrible coroners out there. It's very unfortunate, but they get it wrong, a lot. My sister is in the police field and has to work death cases on a pretty regular basis. She is frequently frustrated w/coroners for getting it wrong, and sees a lot of families just like yourself.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it's tragic. Ultimately no matter the "why" it won't change the outcome. All you can do is try to mourn and heal from this horrible event.

Tight, tight hugs.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

when my AH passes away, I will be ordering a private autopsy to be done.

Sue
Old 03-12-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by LivingLife4Me View Post
when my AH passes away, I will be ordering a private autopsy to be done.

Sue
Why? What would be the point?

From my point of view, there would be nothing to be gained by spending a couple of grand for an autopsy. Alcoholism already sucks up financial resources.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Ultimately no matter the "why" it won't change the outcome. All you can do is try to mourn and heal from this horrible event.

Tight, tight hugs.
This sort of sums it up. I mean how does it matter the why they are dead? It won't change any part of them being dead. Unless you have an insurance aspect etc. Then you don't want it to cast suspicion or doubt about the circumstances.

Otherwise let them RIP.

And heal more quickly!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Granted, I don't rule it out. But does anyone here know the link between chronic alcoholism and COPD? I'm not coming up with any particularly meaningful information thus far.

The cause of death certainly surprised me.
Erin, most of us here aren't physicians or medical examiners. But I do believe at the end of the day that the "whys" aren't relevant when someone we love dies. You're still going to mourn and grieve in any event.

Take care of you.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Erin,

I'm sorry for all that you have to work through.

You might find this study interesting, though maybe not completely satisfying as far as giving you concrete answers. Alcohol and Airways Function in Health and Disease.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having to deal with this. I'm a retired doc and also lost my husband to alcoholism two years ago. I filled out a lot of death certificates when I was practicing and the other replies are pretty much right on when they say it is a guess much of the time particularly when someone is just found dead at home. When that happened in my practice I usually just went with what illnesses I knew they had based on their medical history. Coroners rarely if ever ordered an autopsy unless foul play was suspected as that cost money that most government agencies don't have just for curiosity sake. To complicate things more, sometimes if my partner was on vacation or unavailable they might ask someone who really didn't know the patient that well to sign the death certificate. Oftentimes it could wait but in the case of cremation a certificate HAD to be signed before the body could be released for cremation. From your description it is very likely that COPD was not really the cause of death but probably just a convenient diagnosis since 'something' has to be listed. If an autopsy was done for some reason the diagnosis would be much more accurate and if that was the case you should be able to request a copy of the autopsy report.

That being said I will say that there was just a touch of satisfaction in having the diagnosis of alcoholism on my husband's death certificate but he died after several weeks in a hospital under medical care then 2 days in an inpatient hospice facility. The final cause of death was listed as pneumonia (which wasn't all that severe or much of a problem at the time) with secondary disagnosis of the pneumonia due to encephalopathy (brain dysfunction from the drinking and prolonged withdrawal) then the encephalopathy due to alcoholism. Since his brother was executor his family all had accesss to the death certificate as well and it did help confirm in my and their minds that yes he did indeed have serious alcoholism. I suspect that is why you are really questioning why that was not put on the certificate when you know in your own mind that was truly the cause of death. I suspect the person filling it out probably didn't have much in the way of facts or know his history or medical condition that well. Had he been under regular medical care?

Again, condolences. Alcoholism just sucks.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

and this group of silly's are just the best.. hugs to so many that put their life out there and help so many because of their abilities.. PeacefulMe love you my Dear Lady of MD to bits.. thank you Thank you Thank You. ardy...
Old 03-12-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ardy View Post
and this group of silly's are just the best.. hugs to so many that put their life out there and help so many because of their abilities.. PeacefulMe love you my Dear Lady of MD to bits.. thank you Thank you Thank You. ardy...

Aww shucks Ardy. This group really is the best. You just made my day. I guess that is why I still hang around here even over two years after my AH is gone and I have no active alcoholics in my life at this time.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My AH died of COPD/lung infection and an enlarged heart. I figured he would be full of booze and drugs and he was clean. He smoked heavily cigs, pot, and crack. He had lots of problems with all of his organs though. My AH's death all relates back to his addictions.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

my Xhusband died of cardiac related issues due to his alcoholism..by the time he passed at age 54, in 2009, he had not worked since 9/11 (he worked in the WTC as a hardware engineer for several clients)...He drank a liter of vodka daily, ate rich food and never exercised, smoked pot like a chimney...the last time I saw him he was buy fresh fish for his mama and grilling it...by this time he left one of his houses and moved in with her. He died in his childhood bedroom, she found him.
and he left an AWFUL legal mess for our only child to clean up....had not filed taxes since we divorced, there was an IRS lien on one of the properties. She found enough uncashed checks from stock dividends to pay off his mess.
who does this stuff? what sane adult?