Truncating My Trip Outs

Old 03-11-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Truncating My Trip Outs

My flight out of town was delayed. Instead of getting upset, I was glad I could work a bit late neatening up loose ends. Then it got delayed a bit more, so I spent 15 minutes purging my email and watching the flight online. When the latest departure time seemed to be sticking, I was grateful to have time to pop into a local restaurant and eat there rather than airport junk!

At the airport, I walked over a mile so I almost hit my 10,000 steps just patiently pushing my rolling suitcase up and down and up and down the concourse.

In the past, I would have been worrying over the delay and the downstream effects in a heart-racing negative manner.

When I arrived, my enmeshed sib had lost track of my flight and was still at her house. So I walked some MORE! Ha ha ha! In the car, my sib made a series of increasingly crazy statements on motivations on various family members... I was ready with some vague responses to not engage, but one was SO outlandish I was just shocked and said, "Why would anyone expect X to buy Z a house?!" But then I realized I no longer spent much time tripping out about others' internal thoughts! The whole car ride was surreal and I was so grateful to be no longer quite so codependent!

Today my flight home was delayed and I was stuck on the Tarmac. So instead of getting edgy about the late start for my fun day back home, I pulled out my meditation app and practiced for a half hour! Then I pulled out the Step 11 stuff and worked on that...Then I started to read a book and I can tell it is going to be good... I just love starting a book and knowing it is worth not rushing to the end. I was just able to make the best of it and soon enough I landed safely home.

When I got home, my teen DS was still sleeping anyway! So it worked out perfectly being late. He was not a crank and we had a fun afternoon together.

But the oddest thing was RAH sent me a text stating he had rescheduled our marriage counseling session from tonight until April. I really wanted to be ticked off. I really wanted to march in there and flay him tonight. But his reasoning was right, I was beat by 7 PM. It just wasn't mean to happen today.

Recovery has touched my life in ripples far beyond life with RAH.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Airport rage. Totally understandable.
When I came home from Iraq, I had to take off my boots, dog tags and my belt and walk through a m-fing metal detector just to see my kid (DS 13, who was 5 at the time).
My ex husband (the dead one) left me waiting in the airport for an hour.
And that was back before I had any type of recovery. I think the fact that I was coming home from a war zone made it slightly OK, because I was ready to cut moronic civilians some slack.
Glad your trip was bearable CJ. You maintained your serenity and no one died. Great success!

P.S. TSA can suck it.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post
Recovery has touched my life in ripples far beyond life with RAH.
Amen, Sister! What a great example of how recovery looks in action IRL.

You are getting SO zen!

Old 03-12-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Inspiring, thanks!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too am inspired! Great update!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good for you! It's easy to see why business trips are a challenge for those in early sobriety. SOOO many aggravations, not to mention booze EVERYWHERE--in the airport, on the plane, at dinner meetings/receptions. I'm SO glad I was three years in before my current job started.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lexie that is such an interesting comment because I never thought to drink. I was trucking by all those airport bars and never once did it cross my mind!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Applause