Notices

Exercise while getting sober?

Old 03-11-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise while getting sober?

Hi all,
I'm new here, haven't had a drink since yesterday. I used to drink about a fifth every day, and knew I needed to stop. I tapered down with a strict schedule of timing and amount of beers, and have managed to avoid almost all the withdrawal symptoms, thank goodness. I've still got stomach issues and whatnot but I'm working on fixing them.

I went for a mile and a half walk today with my boyfriend and was okay, but I usually work out a lot more, and now that it's getting warmer I've got the itch to go running outside again! My question is, to others who have been at this point, did you exercise? Is it safe to go for a run?

Thanks so much, and happy to be here!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've always worked out drinking or not. However, I recommend for anyone that is looking to start exercising, it is wise to be checked out by your physician and being given the go-ahead by your physician. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, RazeTaciturn. I don't see any reason to not exercise if you're not going through withdrawals. As soon as I started to feel better after quitting (3 or 4 days) I started exercising daily. Gives me something to focus on every day besides not drinking.

Just listen to your body. If it feels like you're pushing too hard, slow it down. Otherwise, I'd say just get after it!

Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If your doctor does not recommend otherwise, physical activity is great for sobriety!
It releases natural endorphins, great to relax and feel good!

Rock on!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I got sober I started walking my dogs more. I had neglected to walk them enough due to being either too drunk or too sick. In early sobriety I walked them any time I had a bad craving to drink. (they got a lot of walks for a while there)

Now our daily walks are a regular thing (winter weather permitting, that is) and I look forward to our walks. I feel better and sleep better because of our regular walking. Not to mention, the dogs really enjoy checking their peemail.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum RazeTaciturn!!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

ohellyea! Get out and walk. Don't force anything. Get moving.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, walking in recovery is awesome!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there. I am a runner. I run most days and I find I greatly miss it when I can't. Withdrawal is hell on your body. Maybe keep it to walking for a week or two until your body settles a bit. You can always increase the pace a bit if you are wanting to push it a bit. I use a heart rate monitor and make sure I keep my HB within a safe range. Take it easy!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi RazeTaciturn, great job on tapering and getting through what sounds like the worst of it. Exercise can be a savior. Depending on your age, I would likely walk for a week, then kick it up to a run to be safe. As always, if concerned, go see the doc.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Raze its nice to meet you
Old 03-11-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Raze, intense exercise is the only time right now that I can really get drinking or not-drinking/recovery out my mind. For me, it breaks the cycle of obsessive thinking. Do you know what I mean? I guess I'm saying exercise gives me reprieve.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with what others have said, I would make sure you are physically capable and consult your doctor if you aren't sure. If everything checks out I would highly recommend exercise as it gives you an outlet for stress and releases endorphins. If you are like me you will also find that it can be a nice confidence booster as you notice physical changes from cutting out the booze calories and strengthening your muscles. I think that exercise has been one of my main tools in battling cravings.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I think exercise is great and I have been a lifelong runner drunk or sober. I switched to walking two years ago and go to the gym regularly now. I'm 54.

I would always start any new exercise program gradually. Maybe a run-walk program gradually increasing the running until you can go the whole distance running. Do not increase your mileage more than 10 percent per week. As others have posted Getting a check up from a doctor is advisable too.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yup yup - exercise is not something I've ever enjoyed so never did it much. Since quitting I implemented daily exercise and better nutrition into my life to distract me and break up the cognitive spirals I get myself into. Planning exercise routines and weekly meals keeps my mind busy in a healthy and constructive way now.

Stay hydrated and feed your body with good things and you should be good to go. You'll know your limits from there.

Have fun with it! It's a joy to add and build something in the wake of the loss and destruction addiction brings.