Notices

Looking for insight/advise for a better life

Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for insight/advise for a better life

Hello everyone!
This forum seems to have many helpful and bold people, Thank you!
I am in my mid 20's
I believe I have extreme social anxiety, depression and very heavy anxiety when i'm by myself. (not diagnosed)

I try to cope by abusing substances through-out the day.

Before I go see a therapist/ psychiatrist. I was hoping for some advise on the questions I have and any comments or questions you have.

I will post under substance abuse.

Any comment good or bad, question or idea would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very very much.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome JCmane its nice to meet you
Old 03-11-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have also had to deal with extreme social anxiety issues. Actually, I started abusing alcohol due to panic attacks and having difficulty just getting out of my apartment, so I have an idea what your talking about. The drinking helped at first, but then became part of the problem and just made things worse.
I was eventually diagnosed with anxiety and depression and given meds to help deal with it. But the meds just helped. I also had understand the problem and develop coping skills to deal with it. Connecting with a good therapist also helped. Even with all this, I still struggle sometimes, but at least I can function. Social situations can still be pretty tough to deal with.
I'd suggest talking to your doctor about what you're going through and go from there. Good luck. John
Old 03-11-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR JC. I hope it helps to discuss your feelings here.

I also suffered from social anxiety in my 20's. I used alcohol to cope - but unlike you, refused to see what damage it was doing. I continued for decades trying to manage it. I'm glad you see what it's doing to you. We're glad to have you with us.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello,

You are still young so kudos for attacking your issues. Hope you find some answers and get to better your social anxiety. ;-)
Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum JCmane!!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope things go well with your therapist.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I have also had to deal with extreme social anxiety issues. Actually, I started abusing alcohol due to panic attacks and having difficulty just getting out of my apartment, so I have an idea what your talking about. The drinking helped at first, but then became part of the problem and just made things worse.
I was eventually diagnosed with anxiety and depression and given meds to help deal with it. But the meds just helped. I also had understand the problem and develop coping skills to deal with it. Connecting with a good therapist also helped. Even with all this, I still struggle sometimes, but at least I can function. Social situations can still be pretty tough to deal with.
I'd suggest talking to your doctor about what you're going through and go from there. Good luck. John
thank you for sharing, I just wonder "if" they diagnosed me, would they hesitate to prescribe me meds? do i tell them about my 8 years of substance abuse that is still on going?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello there!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Absolutely you tell them! A good therapist should ask about your alcohol and substance use (past, present and future), since those [may] either cause or exacerbate your anxiety (of which you are seeking treatment). And the registration form box-check doesn't count! The best therapist I ever saw in action was a lady out of San Francisco....I took a 28 year old friend of mine (12 years ago) to see her who was overcome with social anxiety (someone who just a year before had been a beautiful, social butterfly in the Northern Cal social scene), and after the doctor asked her a few benign questions, she said "...so how much pot do you smoke?." At first my friend tried to say none. Then "occasionally." The doctor just kept looking at her smiling. And so my friend finally answered (after a long, uncomfortable pause, that the doctor didn't cut short), that she smoked pot on her way home from work, and continued until she went to bed. Every day. I had no clue my friend did this! I didn't even know she smoked pot "socially." And so began her recovery from crippling anxiety, which for her, went away soon after she threw away her weed. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Welcome to SR, I have social anxiety myself and never been tested. Since I stop drinking it is more strong for me to deal with when I am at my daughters competition, concert, family reunions, or even shopping in the grocery store. I have a problem trusting people, or talking in front of a group.

I been taking one thing at time, when I feel my anxiety is attacking me, If I feel like its attacking I will stick in for 5 minutes then walking away and come back when I am calm. that works pretty well. I also go to meetings to help me be sober but it also helps me talk in front of people.

Good luck on the therapist, hope you get what you need to cope with SAD...