Notices

Anitbuse Question

Old 03-11-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Anitbuse Question

I have never used this drug and I am curious about it. How does it work? What type of sickness does one experience and does it work instantly?

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have never used Antabuse but am told that the slightest amount of alcohol makes you violently ill.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've used Antabuse over the years, and I have some right now that I intend on using. It comes in a pill format, and once you take it, you absolutely cannot drink. If you drink any alcohol whatsoever, you'll become EXTREMELY sick - you could even die. It definitely isn't anything to be played with. If I were to take an Antabuse pill right now, I wouldn't be able to drink until maybe Sunday.. it lasts for a few days (and it's different for everybody I assume). The good thing about it is, though, that you know you can't drink after you take a pill so there's no internal turmoil that goes on on "should I drink? should I not? etc.".
Old 03-11-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I take it. I have not had any drinks as it just removes that option. I expect to be on it 6 to 9 months (now i'm nearly 6 months sober) and have been working hard on all aspects of recovery so it will be ok when I stop. I have not had any side effects
Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Is it any amount of alcohol? Just wondering if it would react to things like the natural alcohol content in orange juice.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My son is on it. No side effects. a lady on here said she takes it randomly (every few days) so that it is always in her system. I thought that was a clever idea. Of course, you have to take it to make it work!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

I took it at one time and it was extremely helpful for me when I went through a period where I could not stop slipping. I never had a reaction to anything such as orange juice, deodorant, etc. If you take it for a long period of time, it will remain effective for up to 2 weeks to even a month, so it if for motivated folks.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm taking it now. Keep in mind that it's different for everyone. It gave me runny poo. But it hasn't reacted when I've eaten food cooked with alcohol like marinades or red wine in a pasta sauce. I'm told by my psych that he's had patients react violently after using alcohol based hand sanitiser.

As always, see a doctor.

I will say that I would have drunk for sure if I wasn't on it.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke with a Dr
Old 03-11-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Are you asking me Soberwolf if I spoke with a doctor? I have no plans on taking antibuse. I just saw it mentioned here in SR and was curious as to how it works, that's all.