Notices

So grateful for SR.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So grateful for SR.

I wonder how people did this before the Internet, before all the available information, before SR. I started drinking daily almost 3 years ago. I grew up with an alcoholic dad, so it didn’t take long before I was worried about my drinking pattern. Amounts also increased from a glass of wine to two bottles a night. One beer to 8, finally to 12 (I would buy 8 to “moderate”, then top it off with a sleeping pill to be able to pass out for 10-12 hours).

I remember voicing my concern to a friend, and he told me that if I could go a day without drinking and not experience withdrawal symptoms, I wasn’t in any danger. So I would stay sober for one day, and of course I was ok. Then I would drink nightly again, for months. Someone else told me “You have to abstain for 3 days to see if you’re an alcoholic”. I did my 3 days (barely), figured I was ok, and was so relieved to be able to go back to my nightly bottles of wine. No alarm bells ringing…

This past year, since my ex-boyfriend asked me if I was an alcoholic, prompting me to google and – thankfully – leading me here, I’ve had a lot of Day 1s. Typically every Sunday after 2 days of very heavy drinking. The first times I came here (to lurk) I had to use my computer, my hands were shaking too badly to tap the links on my iPad. How sad is that..?!

I’ve come a long way from my “1 day sober”-rule, and all you people on SR have really educated me on this disease. It’s pretty incredible (and eye-opening) to read all these stories, see all the support and love that is given. I'm especially impressed by the long-time sobers who spend an enormous amount of time here, backing us newcomers up. My gratitude for today.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post
Old 03-11-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This forum has been great for me as well. Reading the success stories and all of the encouragement and support has helped me a lot.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You folks are the only support I have and I'm grateful.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Stella - Nice post.

I think this place is really helpful as well. Last night was the first time it really helped me.

I was at my wits end and thinking that drinking was a good option, and the folks here helped to calm me down and give me some perspective.

It's not just for desperate pleas for help - though you will find help here for that too.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you to all the SR staff you guys do a fantastic job
Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very nice post StellaPolaris and I completely agree.
Thank you all that contribute and make this community what it is!! I wouldn't be where I'm at today with being sober without all the wonderful help and support of those from this community! You've been an amazing resource for learning!! Thank you!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Id be lost if I didnt have SR to come to. All the things I was too scared to ask or I deemed daft was there for me to read.

I dont think Id have got where I am if I didnt have this place to come to.

I'm forever thankful.

L x
Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This place has been the bedrock to my sobriety! Information, support, fellowship all at my fingertips. I actually put "Grateful to live in the era of high-speed internet" on my gratitude list the other night for this exact reason.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome post, Stella! I'd be lost without SR. I've learned so much here, and having people to relate to helps immensely.

Had I been doing this on my own, any bad or "off" day could have been a reason to think "f it! If this is what sobriety is like then I'm going back to the booze". But reading here that all those little bumps in the road are normal and just a natural part of getting better has really helped me to keep on track.

Thanks, SR! You rock!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

agreed.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Team SR!!