Notices

Progress and a few setbacks

Old 03-10-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Progress and a few setbacks

Ok this week, I set hard goals. Every day is goal oriented and I am waking up early and moving towards those goals daily. In two days, I've set a hard appointment for rehab assesment, made an appointment for mental health and made sure no matter what my wife has transport to daily rehab outpatient.

The major setback, my appointment for Rehab assesment isn't until the 30th and court on the 23rd, as its known here I have Medicaid. First question asked, why don't you go someplace else, its simple the state of Nevada Department Of Welfare and Human Services won't acknowledge it. I need to go to there go to place, and have few other options lest I can get the department to let me go elsewhere, which as a catch 22 couldn't do till the 23rd anyways.

My plan get to my mental health appointment and prove progress there, and then start attending AA daily and keep attending AA daily and be prepared to take a alcohol test urine or any time they want. Keep detailed records of my meeting attendance.

Ok for clarification, because I know I am going to be called out, I called AA a cult last week, I don't like their dogma, in many ways they are a church and I am atheist, but I can acknowledge they help thousands if not more and most states, municipalities and organizations recommend them. Even many established rehab centers send their people there. I have a history of going to meetings for support, but for the aforementioned reasons I have some issues with them and mostly avoid the steps. Common AA saying,
" Take what you need and leave the rest". So with that I will go.

So there I have lots of progress a few setback, but mostly I am trying to get things done.

I
Old 03-10-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good to hear Jeremy sorry about the setbacks but having a plan like your saying really helps

if you ever want to talk you can always send a pm

Keep up the good work
Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like forward progress to me Jeremy!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"My plan get to my mental health appointment and prove progress there, and then start attending AA daily and keep attending AA daily and be prepared to take a alcohol test urine or any time they want. Keep detailed records of my meeting attendance."

Why are you waiting to get to your mental health appt before starting AA?
Old 03-10-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wasn't that my Tiara, the attempt to set them up was almost simultaneous, the aggregated result was two different dates. Of which I had no control over.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good plan in the works and can stick to it. Having support is important and hopefully this can make a difference.

I'm not much of an AA guy myself but I know they are sincere and have done so much good for so many people. Hopefully you can reconcile your feelings about AA and go there with an open mind. I wish you the best.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No antithesis against AA at all, I had a awesome conversation with on of the AA old timers on this site it was awesome. On many levels we agreed, but both had standpoints, but bottom line that person has long time sobriety and I don't.

So with that information I proceed, and I am open to all ideas. I just have a rehab system that is taking too long, so to AA I go. I know I am not the first person to reluctantly attend AA meetings.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In the film Still Alice the protagonist is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. She realizes it's only a matter of time before the last vestiges of her self are gone so she makes a video for herself to watch once she's no longer able to remember her own life. Her recording suggests a course of action that most of us wouldn't recommend, but the idea strikes me as applicable to your case, TDG. You will do great for awhile until you quit taking your meds or get distracted. You seem to forget what was working. It's almost like you need to record a video of yourself, sane and sober, telling your drunk & non-med-compliant self to get his crap together!

Keep at it, Jeremy! You've made a lot of progress, and hopefully you can see the way out of the mess you're in. Hang in there, buddy!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.
In the old days there was a slogan “LET GO.” Another one was “Just believe that we believe.”

I’m not today or ever was a religious person but do believe in a Higher Power who was at one time my sponsor because he had what I wanted. Today it’s the Spirit of Mother/Father Nature.
I also believe a positive attitude clears many roadblocks.

BE WELL
Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Don't drink or use - get help daily, early and often........
Old 03-11-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey man, it is great to see you posting about actions you are taking! Sure there are challenges and setbacks, but you are taking steps to overcome them rather than over-analyzing and bemoaning them, which I think is a huge change for you (not that what i think matters). My one suggestion would be to start going to AA now, today rather than after your mental health appointment if i read that correctly. I am atheist and share your issues with AAs view on powerlessness and the steps and claiming they aren't based on religion when they clearly are, BUT I love going to AA meetings because it is a group of sober people working on their sobriety and helping others to do so face to face. And just the act of going affirms and keeps your commitment to sobriety at the front of your thoughts and priorities. Great job, keep it up!!!!