Notices

New here and struggling.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

New here and struggling.

Hello all. I am a brand new member here and I have been struggling like crazy! I've been trying to quit drinking for about three months. I've only been able to make it ten days at the most without a drink. I've "relapsed" so much I don't feel like I've actually achieved anything. *heavy sigh*
Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, SpiritOfDjinn! Lots of great support here.

Creepy avatar, BTW.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
Hello all. I am a brand new member here and I have been struggling like crazy! I've been trying to quit drinking for about three months. I've only been able to make it ten days at the most without a drink. I've "relapsed" so much I don't feel like I've actually achieved anything. *heavy sigh*
So what exactly have you been doing to stay sober? And are you applying those same methods/processes for each stint of sobriety?

I ask because something in your plan, if you have one, isn't working. Repeating the same thing and expecting something different is very common, especially in recovery. We feel we are trying, but always fail. It isn't the trying that's failing, but what we are doing when we try.

If you have a plan, tweak it. And if you don't have a plan, time to put one in play.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I relapsed many, many times. But I did achieve something eventually. I learned I was an alcoholic and could not control my drinking. I needed help. I found it here and in AA.
I found people who understood where I was coming from, and that was important to me, that I wasn't alone with my drinking problem.

I was a bad alcoholic. I drank for twenty five years alcoholically. I was addicted.
Even with coming here and AA, I would drink again.
It took an awakening and a belief in a Higher Power to get sober.
You've taken a big step by coming here and admitting you may have a problem. I took that step, too. It helped a lot. That, and knowing I wasn't alone in my drinking problem helped me quit, too.

You can do it. The only failure is to stop trying. Pick your self up and try again. We're all here for you.
Best to you.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

@doggonecarl In all honesty, I really don't have a plan. I have basically just been trying to abstain. My biggest problem has been my inability to ignore / fight my cravings. They hit, and I bend like a sapling in a windstorm...
Old 03-09-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi SpiritOfDjinn and welcome.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
@doggonecarl In all honesty, I really don't have a plan. I have basically just been trying to abstain. My biggest problem has been my inability to ignore / fight my cravings. They hit, and I bend like a sapling in a windstorm...
Well then, coming here could prove beneficial. Not everyone comes here fully understanding the difficulty in getting and staying sober. Some because they don't understand alcoholism, don't think they are alcoholics. Some come here holding out hope that their drinking is a problem that will get better if they can stop for a while, with the goal of resuming "controlled" drinking.

You don't have to be an alcoholic to quit drinking, don't have to be an alcoholic to find it difficult to quit. But if you can commit to sobriety, you can find a way to achieve it.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It's not easy to get sober, but it's simple: you don't drink no matter what! Do you have any support in real life? Have you considered trying some AA meetings? Lots of people there can help you get sober for good.

I'm glad you joined us and hope the support here can help you live a rewarding sober life.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome spiritofdjinn nice to meet you
Old 03-09-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi spiritofdjinn! I tried to quit drinking for a few years and relapsed a bunch. You got a lot of really good advice here, I can't really add to it, but I just wanted to say, if I can do it, you can do it. Just because you've tried to quit before and didn't succeed, doesn't mean you can't do it now.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome spirit!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Thank you all so much for making me feel welcome! I do have support here in "real life" but I just felt like it couldn't hurt to have more. I've considered AA and the like but I just feel more comfortable being in a community like this one.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wink

Welcome to the club. I also tried to quit for 30 years and kept relapsing, I had to try something different and I found it in A.A. I haven't had a drink since May 18th 2013.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Attached Images
Old 03-09-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you want change you have to be able to accept being uncomortable.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Spirit,
There is nothing but support and wisdom on this site, hopefully you can take advantage of it, get past the cravings and achieve your goals. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum spirit.
Take some time and read through the forum. Read through the information - stickys.
And look at different subjects here.
I am of the school that says you didn't relapse at all in the past three months. You just never quit in the first place. Big difference in my book.
Accept that this is something you want - and need - to do. Then commit to doing it.
Regardless of the plan, until you put it into action it's just a plan.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you SOD. You may have relapsed, but you keep trying. I think it'll really help you to talk things over here.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SpiritOfDjinn

There's some useful ideas about tackling cravings here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Once you can get yourself past the imperative to drink, you'll find the cravings do go away...it may take a while at first, but it will get better

D
Old 03-09-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum SpiritOfDjinn!!
Old 03-09-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello spirit. It's 10 days for me and it was 9 days ago that I found this site. You came to the right place. Great place to start. I read here so much that I don't have time to think about drinking. These are all wonderful people with caring advice.