Notices

32 days but strtuggling tonight

Old 03-09-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUK

32 days but strtuggling tonight

Hi all

I've managed to get through 32 days without a drink but I'm really struggling the last few days. Been feeling so low and finding it hard to do anything. My brain just doesn't seem to be working and I feel so tired. Not sure if it's the flu I have at the moment or just the effects of the body detoxing

Massive work pressures are not helping - missed a deadline today and have another on Wednesday that I know I'm going to miss. Really big deadlines that I've known have been coming for months but I stuck my head in the sand and not for the first time. All sorts of hell heading my way in the next few days because of this. Feel like however hard I try I always sabotage myself - whenever things look like they're going well I manage to mess it up

I guess I'm not the only one to feel this - does it ever change?

It's only my second post on here but thanks to everyone who replied to my first - it really helped

Take care everyone

J
Old 03-09-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It definitely gets better....it took a few months for me to be able to get my head on straight. Are you doing anything in your recovery to help ( meetings, counseling, etc? )
Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Juk its nice to meet you
Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUK

Thanks for the reply Scott. At the moment I'm not doing any meetings or counselling but I have been trying to come on here quite a bit and read what others have said. I guess the first couple of weeks weren't too bad but now stuff is getting tough in other areas of life things feel shaky. I should look into getting some help - my wife thinks the GP might be able to put me forward for some counselling but I haven't tried yet. I'm nervous about taking that step...
Old 03-09-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted and congratulations on 32 days sober!

I think it's important to remember that stopping drinking is just the beginning of recovery. For me, I had to make many changes in my life. I was a control-freak and I had to learn how to let go, I had to get out and meet sober people and I had to find something purposeful in my life.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 32 days! I know you have pressure at work but you also do realize that drinking will not make it better or help in any way correct? Stay strong.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats on 32 days. You are at one of the toughest times in early sobriety. Stay with it.
Going back to drink will set you back years.
Learning how to deal with life is part of the 'recovery' process. Do your best. don't flog yourself. And don't drink. Make a plan to be better prepared in the future.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey JUK

check out our March support thread - maybe a little bit support wouldn't hurt?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2015-a-16.html

D
Old 03-09-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you JUK! You're with people who truly understand what you're going through. That odd feeling definitely got better for me - most of us wouldn't be able to stay sober if it didn't. By 3 months I felt like a new person.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your life comes before anything, I'm in early recovery and I don't think of anything else other than going another day sober. For you to stop drinking in the first place means willingness, just dig a little deeper to find that will again and remember it only takes that first drink to undo all that hard work. And for what? A few hours of getting away from everything to just wake up in hell again. You've crossed the point of no return, please hold on!
Old 03-09-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't drink today! It's not going to help with your work pressures, in fact it's just going to make them worse.

I had a crummy day at work today, and I'm not enjoying my work situation at all. However, drinking about it is not going to make my work situation any better, in fact, it's going to make me less able to deal with it in a productive manner. So tonight I will be sober.

I think I also need to work on my gratitude list.

I'm thankful I have a job to bitch about. Other's are not so lucky.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

JUK in the early months I had to look after my physical well being very carefully -- I needed a lot of sleep, I had to force myself to exercise and I made sure I ate well. No matter how busy work is think about prioritising these things.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm on day 13 at the moment, and I must admit it is very difficult. I work from home and I have things I know I should be reading up on for experiences out in the field but I have been putting it off....I don't even know why. Things are different for the better since I haven't drank almost 2 weeks. I think about it, but I haven't been close to picking up a bottle.

Stay strong!