Notices

Fell at the water jump

Old 03-09-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell at the water jump

7 days straight felt emotionally fantastic
Fighting chest infection and Renovating house and sudden last minute rush to clear before builders arrive meant working till midnight
Solution... Drink through the labour.

Idiot.. I think I could manage sobriety easier if I didn't feel so overwhelmed.does turning it over as recommended by aa help with this. I feel that there is SO much on my plate.
Square one.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, I found that the longer I stay sober, the greater the ease I have in previously stressful situations. My patience and tolerance to adversity has grown by leaps and bounds! Drinking always leads to stress. When I first got sober my life was very stressful and overwhelming...because that is what my drinking caused...chaos and mayhem in my life! I know it is frustrating to hear...but it does get better the longer you stay sober. Today is a new day!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found not putting so much on my plate helped with not having so much on my plate Jim.

Maybe it's time to look at your responsibilities and work out what are the ones you absolutely have to do, the ones you can put off, the ones you delegate and ones you can get help with etc etc.

whatever your end list looks like, it's also time to find other coping strategies man - drinking is a really ineffective remedy...it also solves nothing...which leads us back to that plateful of stuff...yeah?

make some changes Jim - AA might not be a bad idea?
D
Old 03-09-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA is a personal choice. No matter what you need to find healthy solutions to stress, anxiety what ever you are feeling. Anything, but drinking. Drinking solves nothing, and only makes matters worse.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Alcoholism is a potentially fatal.

With the high blood pressure i had after drinking i could have had a fatal stroke at any moment .

There is nothing so important that i won't drop it well before alcohol looked like a coping mechanism .

With me sobriety comes first .

Keep on with it , it's worthwhile , m
Old 03-09-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, the time to reply and the perspectives.. I'm realisibg that I just can't cope with too much.. Maybe I'm too sensitive haha dee your comment is very pertinent.

But a situation like last night is a difficult one.. A situation that I have no choice over.. The work had to be done. I was cold tired exhausted chest infection ( dealing with terminal parent and live wire toddler) and trying to get house sorted.. What to do in those situations.. I knew I couldn't do that work unless I rewarded myself and pushed through the fatigue and illness..

Maybe just pray for answers.. Feeling pretty down today. Anyway thankyou all SR means a lot to me
Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand sometimes we're called upon to do our utmost.

I think you need to look for better 'rewards'.

A nourishing meal and maybe a couple of strong coffees would have kept you going and you'd probably feel better for it today?

D
Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup, if there is too much on your plate then step away from the table. Stopping and staying stopped had to be priority one for me. Everything else will be hard to enjoy drunk or dead. I thought I managed better drunk too. You will look back one day and see how funny that sounds.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hey JimdiGriz,

Sometimes simply stopping and breathing goes a long way in situations where you feel overwhelmed. You feel like you need to keep moving, like if you stop for even one second you will lose momentum or something and completely screw everything up. But if you take a moment to just stop and breathe and realize that things will eventually even out, it really makes all the difference.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi.

"does turning it over as recommended by aa help with this."

Most suggestions here and at AA WILL WORK IF we work them.
The sober rate is so poor because people forget and or go back and do things their way.

BE WELL
Old 03-09-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by JimdiGriz View Post
...What to do in those situations.. I knew I couldn't do that work unless I rewarded myself and pushed through the fatigue and illness..
Pure addictive voice. Of course you could have pushed through without drinking. But because you hadn't taken drinking completely off the table, that was the easiest and most attractive option.

When you are done drinking, for good, and truly committed to quitting, you will find you can cope without it.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep trying Jimdi you can do this i have a chest infection and a LOT on my plate at the moment but the last thing on my mind is drinking

I know some days are hard but its how we react to them that matters, reach out to someone you truly trust as thats what i done i was honest and laid my cards on the table and said today i dont feel good

This person seriously helped me

You can reach out too Jimdi
Old 03-09-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I understand sometimes we're called upon to do our utmost.

I think you need to look for better 'rewards'.

A nourishing meal and maybe a couple of strong coffees would have kept you going and you'd probably feel better for it today?

D
I agree with Dee here.
There are some afternoons round about 3pm when I am flagging.
I still have jobs to do - pick daughter up, make tea, sort out house, apply for jobs ( i have just been made redundant), do computer work for this job, wrestle child into bath, beg child to read words and do her homework, wash up, dry up, beg child to have hair dried, put child that never sleeps to bed, agree and shake on 2 stories and cuddle rather than 8 stories and her fall asleep on my knee for all night, arrange hose sales for house I can no longer afford on my own with no job, try go to bed before midnight.... and I think so it all, I want a glass of wine.

However I find having a fresh orange, a doughnut, or a sugary hot chocolate helps massively.

If I sit and concentrate on drinking it and take 2 mins away from all I'm doing, it has stopped me a million times from heading to the fridge.

I was 3 years in Feb 2015, so it must be worth you having a try mate!!
Old 03-09-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So many positive and thoughtful posts.. Thankyou.

Yes I can see everyone has obligations.. And I can get through several days feeling sober and highly contented.

Maybe there's other stuff too.. Reaching out I find hard.. Was only child with hardly any family.. Have learnt to be self sufficient to the point of isolationist.. Asking for any kind if help makes me feel queasy! Think that puts a lot of pressure I.

Well another day.. I too now must bargain with child..
Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

what's done is done. Look forward, learn from this event. I wish you the best.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe there's other stuff too.. Reaching out I find hard.. Was only child with hardly any family.. Have learnt to be self sufficient to the point of isolationist.. Asking for any kind if help makes me feel queasy! Think that puts a lot of pressure I.
I found it hard too...but I did it cos this alcohol problem is immense. I needed help, and there's no shame in that.

Just because we've always been a certain way doesn't mean we have to continue being that way

D
Old 03-09-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Jimdi. It's so great when we finally realize it is not an answer - to anything. You will get there.