Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

If I'm an alcoholic, do I need to worry about prescription pain meds?

Notices

Old 03-08-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The previous dentist post got me thinking. I'm 37 days sober from alcohol. I've never had a problem with drugs, gambling, eating etc. I've smoke pot 4 times in the past 12 months (before getting sober), never done any other illegal drugs (20 years ago ome shrooms in college).

I hear a lot of talk about not using pain killers if you're alcoholic. I'm having surgery in a couple months. I'm planing on taking my pain meds, should I be more concerned? I've had surgery in the past, I take the Vicodin for the two week period then move on, I don't seek any more.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me personally I will not take any pain meds no matter what. I had my wisdom teeth out when I first got sober and I knew better than to take them. Not everyone might have this problem, but they are drugs, they will make me feel good, and I will abuse them. I'm not saying to take them or not take them. Just be honest with yourself. If you think you could possibly abuse them you can't risk your sobriety and take them. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had two minor surgeries since I've been sober. For the first one I was prescribed 12 Vicodin and I took them as directed. I was finished four days later. The second surgery I was prescribed six. I took them as directed and they were gone in two days.

I didn't even really think about taking them or not taking them. I followed the doctor's orders.

Of course there are people who would have been on a street corner hustling for more vicodins the third night but I just wanted to share my experience. I don't think getting refills would have been in the cards.

So, for this recovering alcoholic taking pain meds for short periods of time, as directed, was not a problem.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, with my past, it would be foolish for me to underestimate the dangers of addictive substances.

I sometimes need pain relief that can be addictive. When I take them I treat them with the respect and caution they deserve and my Doctor is right there on the end of the phone if I have ANY concerns at all.

My recovery is that important to me.

D
Old 03-09-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take pain medication and anti-anxiety medication every day and I've been sober over four years.
I use them as directed.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said