Notices

Cutting back

Old 03-08-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cutting back

I am 37 an have been drinking a 1.5L bottle of wine daily for the past 5 years. I am tired of worrying about my health, especially my liver. Tired of feeling exhausted and foggy every morning I wake up. Going to try tapering. Had two glasses if wine tonight (instead if 7-8). I've got to stop! Curious on thoughts of anyone who stopped drinking by tapering. Thanks. Looking forward to utilizing the support of SR.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering never really worked for me I'm afraid. How can you control the thing you've shown you can't control?

i think seeing a Dr is safer, but I wish you the best - and I hope you'll keep us updated

welcome

D
Old 03-08-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, goods. I've never tapered, but I know that at least a few posters here have tried it. Hopefully you'll be getting lots of helpful replies shortly.

Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: (I thought I was going to be the first post, but Dee beat me to it. His is actually quite helpful!)
Old 03-08-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I tried tapering to stop drinking but it never worked for me. I always ended up drinking more than I intended.

I found it easier to just stop drinking altogether. See a doctor for medical help getting thru withdrawals. (it can be dangerous)
Old 03-08-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, goods-

I had what sounds like the same drinking cycle you are in. I had to just quit- tapering didn't work, nor did switching to beer, cocktails, etc. If I did taper, I just ended up drinking more the next day. Just had to quit and get rid of all alcohol in the house. Not easy, but this is my 11th day and I can't believe how crummy I really felt every day. I always said I wasn't hungover but honestly I lived in a perpetual one for many years. Finally starting to feel better. It is always recommended to check with a Dr. first. Keep coming back to SR, it has been incredible support!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering didn't work for me, either. If I could have controlled my drinking, I wouldn't have had the problem I had.

Talking to your dr is a good place to start. I'm glad you posted.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Goods its nice to meet you
Old 03-08-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us Goods.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. I tried tapering to stop drinking but it never worked for me. I always ended up drinking more than I intended.

I found it easier to just stop drinking altogether. See a doctor for medical help getting thru withdrawals. (it can be dangerous)
Ditto. I always drank more than the tapering plan allowed. My last year of drinking wasn't a year really. It was 365 tomorrows. My plan was always to drink less tomorrow.

I had to just pull the plug and stop.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi goods.

I tried so many ways to control my drinking but none of them worked.
Spent ages thinking up plans that had strict caps on volumes but the whole thing just collapsed by the time I was on my second or third beer.

Sure, give tapering a try but if like many of us it doesn't work for you don't despair - time for Plan B

Nice to meet you.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by least View Post

I have to agree with this, tapering did not work for me either. Cold turkey was rough but I have burned into my head now how awful it was and how I don't want to go through that again.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I tapered down over a week. It worked for me. But I researched how to do it. Before the modern Benzodiazepines it was the ONLY safe way to stop. It is safer to see a Dr. though I suppose.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Goods, I did taper once about a year ago after a nasty bender. It requires extreme discipline, but can lessen the uncomfortable withdrawal.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, I couldn't taper. I couldn't control it. Finally had to quit cold turkey. Hard, but worth it!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Goods!!