Notices

Time to take action.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to take action.

Hello everyone, I'm new here and thought I'd tell you about my situation. I'm a 51 year old male, been drinking since I was 17, (light and only on weekends until about 15 years ago) Fast forward to the last couple of months, and what hit me hard was the first time I woke up one morning and remembered NOTHING about the previous night. I realized that I had no idea how much I was consuming, and figured the first thing to do was find out. I purchased a measuring glass, and instead of my usual hit off the bottle of scotch, I measured it into the cup each time I drank. When I got to the state of "drunk" I was used to, I had drank 9 ounces of scotch. To some that may not seem extreme, but to me it does. I don't drink during the day, and never until after 5:00 when I'm home and not going anywhere. My family have told me about losing my patience and raising my voice about silly little things after I was buzzed, and now it's time to get serious. I have kicked every other demon in my life, drugs, tobacco, etc. many years ago, but the alcohol has a hold on me. As of two nights ago, the wife and I have a plan, and that is she hides the bottle, and only administers me a pre-determined amount each night. We've started with 7 ounces and she plans to start decreasing until I'm clean. BTW, she is a nurse and understands what I'm going through. I don't know how well this will work, or if anyone has tried anything similar, but I'm open to suggestions. My career and family life make it impossible for me to go to meetings, etc. Thank everyone here in advance for your thoughts and support.
Mark
Old 03-08-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Tapering is usually not recommend because if not measured or controlled we end up back to square one. It takes an iron will, but possible. Specially if your wife is a nurse and helping you out. I for one have succeeded this way. But do not cheat, and reduce to 0 in a timely fashion.

Good luck, this is your time to take control of your life and turn things around!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mark, to SR; glad you found us. SR is a very supportive and understanding community.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome Mark, I hope you are planning to quit after you get down to zero. There is no way to "moderate" unless you nurse is with you 24 hours a day and providing rations for the rest of your life.
'Better off without it.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Mark its nice to meet you
Old 03-08-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mark.

I hope that works for you and then you can stay quit. I tried to limit my alcohol intake in the past and each time I did not only fail but also suffered miserably, because having controlled amounts would usually trigger powerful cravings for more instead of satisfaction with it. I also never tried to have someone else control my drinking, but remembering how I was, I'm pretty sure I would have cheated on the plan due to what I said above, and because of the stubborn person I tend to be about getting what I want, at least how that worked when I was drinking. It was much easier to just quit all at once.

As I said I hope it works for you. Another alternative if you cannot or don't want to use meetings and other forms of treatment but are concerned about withdrawals is to go to the doctor and ask for assistance with medical detox at home. It's basically a short term prescription that keeps the physical symptoms manageable, and then you can work on maintaining your sobriety yourself.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
welcome Mark, I hope you are planning to quit after you get down to zero. There is no way to "moderate" unless you nurse is with you 24 hours a day and providing rations for the rest of your life.
'Better off without it.
Lbrain has hit the nail on the head. Moderation will probably not work and you might get progressively worse if you don't stop completely. Nice to have you here!
Old 03-08-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome Mark,
Glad you're here......change is indeed possible!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your wisdom, it is much appreciated. Haennie, yes as a matter of fact I have a doctors appointment next week for my regular quarterly checkup. I'm planning to discuss it with him. If there is something he can prescribe to ease the withdrawals I'm all about it. Quite frankly, I'd love to just go cold turkey if it's even possible! I'm SO done with alcohol!
Old 03-08-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I agree with the others that moderating is not usually manageable for alcoholics. And, personally, it feels like you are giving your control over to your wife, and that cannot be a permanent solution for your problem. We do understand how difficult this is.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just had to do some conversion so I could understand the amounts.

So, you'd get through a fifth in 4 days roughly??
Old 03-08-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mark!!
Old 03-08-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Mark. It's a start. Welcome to our world..
Old 03-08-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Assuming your goal is 100% abstinence over a few days it will likely work. The problem I see is you have no plan to stay quit.

Quiting is relatively easy. Staying quit is where the rubber meets the road.

So the big question is what is your plan for long term sobriety?
Old 03-08-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good points raised here already so I'll just say - welcome mark
Old 03-08-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Mark. Let us know how it's going.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, that's about right.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

How are you Mark
Old 03-10-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Just had to do some conversion so I could understand the amounts.

So, you'd get through a fifth in 4 days roughly??
Yes, that's about right.

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Assuming your goal is 100% abstinence over a few days it will likely work. The problem I see is you have no plan to stay quit.

Quiting is relatively easy. Staying quit is where the rubber meets the road.

So the big question is what is your plan for long term sobriety?
Sadly, I don't really have a long term plan. Just taking it one day at a time right now.

I did throw out the rest of the scotch, and bought a bottle of sake. It's been two days since switching to the sake, and I'm amazed at how much better I feel. Sake (in moderation) has a lot of health benefits, so at least in my mind I think I'm tapering off with a more healthy alternative.