Notices

Angry at work tonight

Old 03-07-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry at work tonight

For no apparent reason. Just spitting mad about everything! It was busy and every time I got a new table (I was waiting tables) I would growl and hiss about hating people. Yup, probably not the best state of mind for someone who's job is to be nice and accommodating to people. I do need the $, and in order to make that money I need to be busy, but I just felt like I couldn't do it. Also felt disoriented and a little overwhelmed. Had I been on my game, tonight would have been no problem. I just didn't have it.

Luckily, I was training a new girl and she'd already been training for a while so I was able to pass a few tables off to her.

Man! So I go from mopey and depressed to elated and feeling like a rock star to so mad I want to fight the world and everyone in it. Ugh!

I've read the posts here about being all over the place in early sobriety, but it's really getting old.

Just making observations about myself here. No news, really.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Service jobs are hard. Just relax when you get home. Keep thinking of when work is finished for the evening.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, sleepie. It can be trying at times. Usually counting down to quitting time helps, but tonight...I don't know. I just had this anger in me. It was irrational and scary. I just couldn't stop the anger. Yuck!

Probably didn't help knowing that I have to be back there in the morning. I'll set the clock ahead and get up at 6:30 to be there again by 9. Which, with the time change, really means getting up at 5:30 to be there at 8. Just no time for more than a short nap tonight before I get to put on my (hopefully) happy, smiley face and deal with the crowds again.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand. I had a similar job for years and drinking at the end of the day got me through. I also just quit a job with a horrendous boss who caused such unhappiness in me it was frightening. I was actually afraid. If at your job you might at least encounter that one decent person who appreciates your work, try to hang on to that and remind yourself of them when you start getting upset.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SDH in early recovery I had to really look after my physical well being a lot. I understand that with the clocks changing you are getting a shorter sleep tonight but do you generally get a good night's sleep? Are you eating well? Those sorts of things really make a difference.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercise can really help too, and meditation to slow down and get a grip on those unwanted, unhelpful thoughts.

I know you are struggling, but think of only going through this part once, and not to drink and to have to start all over again.

Happy face = tips = pay the bills.

AG
Old 03-08-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope you feel better soon SDH
Old 03-08-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All right. Got my 2 hours of sleep. Not feeling very rested, ha ha. Just need to get through the next 8 hours and I get 3 days off. It's gonna be tough, but I can do this (today, I mean. not the 3 days off, that'll be great)

Oh, a nap is going to be SO good later!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

three days off and sleep, sleep, sleep.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi.
The value, except for the obvious, is to act and react in a healthy mental and emotional manner which takes time and work.

When we stop drinking we are only attending to the tip of the problem like an iceberg the problemS are below the surface.

Not saying anger is eliminated once sober but it’s handled in a more sane manner with practice.

BE WELL
Old 03-08-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SDH73 View Post
Thanks, sleepie. It can be trying at times. Usually counting down to quitting time helps, but tonight...I don't know. I just had this anger in me. It was irrational and scary. I just couldn't stop the anger. Yuck!
Oh boy, have I been feeling this way too, on and off throughout the day, and often for no reason at all. Frustrating, but it passes.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Done with work for a few days now. Glad that's over.

I've been thinking about my anger last night, and what it seemed like to me was "drunk anger". Like, no real reason to be angry but unable to calm it down. I'm not generally an angry person, even when I was drinking. But when I was drinking, if I got angry I got REALLY angry and could get downright nasty. Except that this time, of course, I was sober. I don't like myself when I'm like that. I don't think that I was nasty to anyone in particular, but had to bite my tongue all night to avoid being so.

Don't really know what to make of it. I guess I'll chalk it up to needing to learn to deal with my moods and emotions in a healthy manner, without the crutch of alcohol.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

the important thing is that you recognize it for what it is... being to identify and isolate the feeling gives you the advantage. These emotions will come and go. It's how we deal with them is what counts. You didn't do anything rash or get crazy.
Meditate on it, catch up on your rest. And relax and have fun next time.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done for getting through it SDH.
Enjoy your time off.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I felt like that last week. I have good days and bad. I'm only 12 days, still early, very frustrating though. Hang in there.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You must have passed the baton. Been ruminating all day here.

Now there are only 2 possible ways to go from there that I know. Anger, or depression.

After being clinically depressed for years I went with the anger thing for a while. Not good.

"Ah depression me old bud?" No, we are not doing that. This is a horrible dilemma I am too familiar with