Notices

Feel like I'm holding up a house

Old 03-06-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel like I'm holding up a house

I feel like my sobriety is like holding a house over my head and it's just getting heavy. I bought an AA book but haven't had a chance to get out to a meeting with all the snow and family issues. I'm going to try to read some tonight - but does anyone else feel like this? Like their sobriety is getting heavy? I'm at 65 days, which I've very happy about and it doesn't feel like cravings - just that it's getting heavy.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm at 16 days and I'd say it changes hour to hour.

Sometimes I think that it's impossible for me to live the rest of my life without drinking.

Sometimes I realize how good it feels not to be hungover/regretful of the night before and feel like it's a weight lifted off my shoulders never having to drink again.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Somewhere around there, maybe a bit later I hit that point too. I did a bit of reading about it and also got some confirmation here that it is a normal and expected stage in recovery. Sobriety can be a lot of work, and I know just what you mean by that heavy feeling. If you push through it I can tell you that things do get lighter over time. You're doing a great job to get to 65 days, so keep on going.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Teebee! Congrats on 65 days! Yes, some days I want to give in and start drinking and know it's not an option for me. I don't feel like hurting myself physically/mentally anymore and to go down that dark road once again would be really scary for me. Hang in there because that weight will eventually lift off of you.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 65 days sober. I wonder if you've made any other changes in your life besides stopping drinking? I know, for me, I had to make some fundamental changes in my thinking and lifestyle to recover.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi TeeBee, Congrats on your 65 days

Early sobriety is a rollercoaster as your experiencing but i totally agree with Anna are you doing anything bar AA for sobriety

I done group therapy, i spoke to a Dr and continue to speak regulary, i spoke with my local alcohol addiction services, started keeping a daily journal, completed 2 college courses, started reading again

theres an aa book called living sober that i think is fantastic

Keep up the good work Teebee
Old 03-06-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Teebee - I think support is really important - that house is not nearly as heavy when the load is shared

even if you can't get out to a meeting read and post as much as you need here...maybe even google some online AA meetings?

D

D
Old 03-06-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I didn't compare to holding up a house. My sobriety was never "heavy" so to speak. Not as much as a burden as my drinking had gotten. But at ninety days I did find the constant inner battle of "drink...don't drink" very fatiguing.

Stay strong. It does get easier. At 180 days, I was releaved by how little I thought about drinking, and the work of dealing with life sober became much easier. Sobriety got lighter.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I have started reading. I got Contagious Optimism and the Wisdom of no Escape. I will hit a meeting this weekend. For now I'll just hang on these boards tonight seeing how others are doing and reading some of the threads for people who quit in 2013 and stuff. They do seem like the load is lighter.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello:

I think that you should put down that house and move into it. At the beginning I really revolved around my sobriety. Some people might say that they don't want to become obsessed with it but in my case I really had to take it seriously and coming to it everyday. Don't let these thoughts perturb you. Keep your eye on the prize until the pendulum switches back again.

You know we are here to listen anytime you need to vent and to dish it when you need advice.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me making changes to my lifestyle to match up with my new Sober life was important, finding new things to be involved in, new activities, new people, simply removing alcohol and having plenty of free time on my hands was tough going.

As others have mentioned, support is crucial for those tougher days!!

Hang in there!!