Notices

God does not build in straight lines.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

God does not build in straight lines.

It's from the movie "Prometheus". "God does not build in straight lines.". He also does not build in circles. Whatever you believe, I personally don't believe we are meant to live life in a continuous feedback loop, a circle. Unfortunately it seems to be a recurring theme here in the world of recovery, especially here. So many folks out there coming back with the same scenario again and again. Sometimes I wonder if some are not ready to break apart that circle, move on. We drank, we f'ed up, we are forgiven/forgive ourselves, and it's time to move on. You are only providing a disservice to yourself as long as you dwell in that circle. We aren't meant to live in circles.

Good day, happy Friday.

Bunnez
Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As soon as I got off the merry-go-round alcohol kept me on, life started to take a turn for the better!!
Old 03-06-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Insightful post!

Its been bouncing around in my head on and off today so I'm going to trust my intuition and throw some thoughts down.

I understand the frustration about some folks having difficulty 'breaking the circle'. I don't fall into that category and sometimes catch myself projecting my journey and experience on others- which is unfair (though at times automatic).

Les Brown, once said "There are winners, there are losers and there are people who have not yet learned how to win.".

I genuinely believe that everyone here is a Winner- especially those with the character and resolve to try, fail, and try again. Assuming one learns from the experience each go at success is a new opportunity to break the circle (or at least make it a little less round!).

Thanks again for the thoughtful post and encouraging others to "break the circle" (and cycle)!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like it. It makes me think this:

WE, the self has to make it happen and that is why it takes the person to really want it and to "work" for it to finally happen. My hubby asked me to moderate or quit for a long time and I "thought" that I should quit for a long time but it was until I googled (action) recovery and SR came up that I started to break the cycle. I started learning (action) and implementing (action) what I learned here, things like remembering what brought me here in the first place, making a plan, playing the tape, AV, urge surfing, etc. and with all that ACTION I have made it almost to a year.

I don't want to discriminate against any shape but I'm with you. Let's break the cycle!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 03-07-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have heard it called step zero. Ok so we know there is a problem and we now set about finding the most comfortable way out, gaining experience of what does not work and, hopefully if we survive, eventually finding something that does.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Well played, Hawks

Bunnez
Old 03-07-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
Insightful post!

Its been bouncing around in my head on and off today so I'm going to trust my intuition and throw some thoughts down.

I understand the frustration about some folks having difficulty 'breaking the circle'. I don't fall into that category and sometimes catch myself projecting my journey and experience on others- which is unfair (though at times automatic).

Les Brown, once said "There are winners, there are losers and there are people who have not yet learned how to win.".

I genuinely believe that everyone here is a Winner- especially those with the character and resolve to try, fail, and try again. Assuming one learns from the experience each go at success is a new opportunity to break the circle (or at least make it a little less round!).

Thanks again for the thoughtful post and encouraging others to "break the circle" (and cycle)!
This sums it all up quite nicely for me.

As I'm a chronic relapser myself, I appreciate the origianl post. But, this communtiny is for all those struggling, and for the ones who have found recovey? Right? No matter how many times? Some of us make it, others don't. Seen that in all recovery groups. It would be so nice if recovery happened so easily, quickly for us all. But we are all different.

Given we stilln care enuff to try, I think that does amount to something? Just sayin.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I posted something similar to the OP once Max
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ouncement.html

It took me many years to get sober - I certainly mean no slight against any one, and I'm sure buneez doesn't either

Everyone here wants everyone else to succeed

D
Old 03-07-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dont be fooled by me previous post. It took me YEARS to quit. Years thinking about it. I always say that it isnt easy but it is worth it and it CAN be done.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok Dee. I totally get it. But when I tend to post my true feelings, why is it that my post is any different then Ultras? He said the same thing, in different words. I guess I don't have the vocabulary to get my point across? And it seems harsh from me, but I really don't mean it that way at all. I'm just not gifted enuff to use the right words it seems...?

Funny, this kind of stuff put the kabosh on AA for me. I guess I'm just not a people person at all. I try. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yours was the last post - I didn't mean to single you out at all Max

there was nothing wrong or unclear with your post, or ultras - I posted by way of explanation not condemnation or disagreement.

It's all good

D
Old 03-07-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The fantastic thing about this board is the diversity of people, thought, approaches, and ideas!

Imagine us all sitting around a giant table looking at a beach ball. Though we all are looking at the same thing- we all see if different color of the ball based on our seat at the table.

Sometimes I view those a little more experienced in this thing as shepherds. At times such travelers attempt to lead from the front, other times they attempt to shepherd from behind.

In this context, shepherding involves offering advice, encouragement, perspective, and sometimes sometimes asking others to take a look within. The original post and Dee's are (to me) strong examples of "leading from the front". Outlining an issue and a call to action.

Since we all perceive things differently and the written word offers no context or inflection- I tried to give my take on the thoughts and "shepherd from behind" by emphasizing that everyone has the chance to "get up and win" by learning from their experiences in trying to "break the circle". And, I'm sure both these folks are aligned on that.

To be clear, I certainly don't consider myself a shepherd or leader here. I'm just a guy with a real untraditional approach (not a group member, don't count days, keep beer for guests in the downstairs fridge, told my 10 y/o the day I decided to quit, etc) who does what he can to reach out to those who've shown the courage and character to embarc on one heck of a noble quest!

Relentless Forward Progress!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey all, I didn't mean to sound so jacked, ok? I appreciate everyone here, and really admire those that get it right. I'm sorry, I just haven't just yet. But I know I will.

Great admiration for all those that do, and keep spreading the hope, and love. It means so much when you are down so low. Always appreciated. That's what SR is all about, right? That's what this site is all about, right? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I believe in you Max
Old 03-07-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Hey all, I didn't mean to sound so jacked, ok? I appreciate everyone here, and really admire those that get it right. I'm sorry, I just haven't just yet. But I know I will.

Great admiration for all those that do, and keep spreading the hope, and love. It means so much when you are down so low. Always appreciated. That's what SR is all about, right? That's what this site is all about, right? Thanks.
I know you will too Maximus.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I can see where this is going. I'm not surprised. Typical. You all have a wonderful night.

Bunnez.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for the share Bunnezjp. Sure you didn't mean to stir up such? I'm happy you have found recovery, and are feeling good with it. You should be able to say, and post whatever you feel. You've earned it. I'm sure you are just trying to help others.

I envy you, and I'm so happy for you. The rabbids? What? So love your avatar. We watched that many times with the grandkids. Love it. The farting episode was so funny!

Your share was great. I sometimes think I need that kind of thinking in my own head. Obviously, you have been sober for some time. And I'm proud of you, and happy for your post. We all need to sometimes get a kick in the butt to keep going. But, we also need support when we fall. That's the bitch and truth about addiction.

Thanks for your share, input. I need to strive to be better.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Della, and Ultra, and Dee. You all are awesome. And thanks for the post Bunn. At least it got some people up and talking about recovery, right? A good thing. Thanks.