Notices

How to quit, when no one thinks you should?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to quit, when no one thinks you should?

So, as my title states, how do you quit when all your friends/family don't think you should? Well that's not exactly accurate... They probably know you should but give you every reason not to.

Examples:

Out night clubbing with friends starting up to almost 4 years ago, "I think I'm an alcoholic!" ..."No, you just need to not do shots, then you'd be fine!" Ahhh! OK! *problem fixed

And more recently after 8 months of not drinking, I had a few glasses of wine at xmas. My biggest critic and supporter, my mom, gave me a bit of a hard time over that week and I was annoyed/thankful for that. However, a few weeks later we went to dinner and before leaving the restaurant, she offered me the rest of her white wine. (shes seen me at my WORST btw)

Most recently, I tell my husband on the 28th of February that that is my last night drinking and he agrees. Even compliments me when I have my self help books out the next morning. (He doesn't like drunk me most of the time) However, the next day at lunch he offers me a sip of his beer! I declined.

Y'all, I DO NOT know what to do here. I know drinking is not a good fit for me, but I am having a hard time convincing myself and others that I have a problem. Am I over reacting?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pinot your sobriety and your recovery are yours. Well-intentioned friends and family offering you sips probably think they are controlling whatyour drink when actually they are igniting the fire.

Be honest with yourself -- can you drink responsibly, do you drink responsibly. If you are anything like me the answers will be "no".
Old 03-05-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
I am having a hard time convincing myself and others
These are two completely different things.

For me, convincing myself was the whole ballgame. After that I found I didn't need to convince anyone else.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was the one who had to go to work hungover everyday and spent the weekends alone on the couch sweating yet cold under a down comforter, not my well-intentioned friends.

There are probably a few people who wish I could drink like a normal person but there is just no way. I had to quit for myself. Period.

I'll ask the age old question: if everyone thought you should jump off a bridge, would you?

Your mom has seen you at your worst but I'll bet she can't understand the mental anguish that drinking causes us alcoholics. I was thinking about drinking all the time, even when I was simply thinking about how drinking made me hungover and sweaty at work. Non-addicts don't get it.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

When we want to do something that we know is not good for us, we then search for evidence that supports our desires. Always been that way.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to change my life - a lot, Pinot.

It was great wrench not to go out and get drunk like I'd done for so many years - but I knew it was destroying me in a way my friends could not seem to understand.

Things got better over time - I came to love my new life

D
Old 03-05-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi There pinotnomore

I can totally understand I was so anger when people wanted to persuade me to drink it made me think why I thought when I told the world that I had a problem the support would be on Tap?

I have been sober since Nov 2014 and I feel it is the right decision for me I can’t control my drinking and that is it I suffer massively with the mental aftermath of drinking. I am very lucky to have stopped when I did as I was on the verge of loosing everything.

You do what your hart and gut tells you to do and when it comes to drinking better safe than sorry,

My theory is when we tell someone we don’t want to drink it almost makes them jealous or something?

My wife who I love very much despised my drinking and smoking we argued all the time about it but the day I told her I had to quit and see a doctor she was like well give it up for a while and in a few months you can have a few,, Nope not me never had a few in my life and never will it took me going to AA meetings before she finally understood I had an issue.

I think looking back it is hard for friends and more so family to accept that we have an issue with alcohol but when they see how different we are without it the support seems to follow

I always say I am no expert on any matters but I like to share things that I feel and have experienced so far so good luck.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

PinotNOmore, you are not no one.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Pinot, because I did a lot of my drinking alone, no-one thought I had a problem but me. I KNEW I had a problem, but I didn't want to go into the gory details with my F&F about how much I really drank.

You decide for yourself, and feel free to be quite clear with your F&F that you don't want to be offered alcohol. They often think it's to do with volume (one sip won't hurt) and don't appreciate that you've formed a habit that requires total abstinence. Like offering an ex-smoker a drag on a cigarette.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You don't need to convince others. If you know you have a problem then that's all you need to know. Others can't make you take a sip no matter how much they persuade you. This is about you, not anyone else
Old 03-06-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's hard enough without people pressuring you to drink; it must really be hard when the pressure is coming from the people in your life that really should know better. I suggest just being polite but firm. Let people know you're not drinking and it's not a topic you're going to discuss with them (not right there at the dinner table at least).

You're doing this for you! Everyone else will fall into line eventually.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
Y'all, I DO NOT know what to do here. I know drinking is not a good fit for me...
You know drinking is not a good fit for you, but you don't know what to do about it?

Poppycock.

Whatever it takes. Seems to me that in your case that will include effectively communicating boundaries to the people around you. They don't know, but you do. Explain it. You might consider using language more plain and direct than it's not a good fit for me. Addiction is not a pleasant situation. People die from this. No need to try to make it seem like it isn't so bad. Be blunt.

You can do this.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Dear Pinot,

I identify with you. I do not look forward to being pressured, as I certainly will be. I will find it most uncomfortable since I am a "go with the flow" personality who has trouble resisting a consensus, even in small matters.

Of the changes needed, the changes D. notes, the biggest for me will be to transform my personality into that of a person who does not simply go along at the slightest push.

Mel
Old 03-06-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

a couple years ago my wife was trying to get me to quit drinking, she was doing a LOT of research on the subject, the sinclair method and some other things in the form of a pill that would 'cure' me.
But she would pick up the cases of beer I asked her to when I called from work= and she would put 6 in the fridge to be cold for when I got home. Every time.

Like Deckard says, you only have to convince yourself. Once you do that, the rest is up to you.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Pinot.

if YOU think you should quite then you should quit.

Because it's your life, not anyone else's.

As simple as that.

Tell yourself that in no-nonsense way that you should quit. Don't wait for anyone's approval. Do it.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If you stay out of drinking situations life is a lot easier. Sobriety is about changing not staying the same
Old 03-06-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Pinot, honestly I had the same happen to me all throughout my teens, twenties and thirties...then in my forties as my alcohol abuse got worse they turned it all around onto me because ultimately it is my responsibility. You have to save yourself and if they aren't on board with that then you need to sit them all down individually and tell them you are trying to improve your health and this is kindness to yourself to quit drinking alcohol. Some people can moderate, but after alcohol abuse, most can't. You can pickle a cucumber but you can't unpickle a pickle.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Me too, me too, me too!!! Nobody in my life thought I should quit but they are not the ones dealing with the hangovers, shame, etc. etc... You know? It's up to us to decide because these iade our lives. You have made the right choice and in your heart, you know what's right!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here Pinot. You've struggled with this question for quite a long time, many of us did too.

The bottom line is that what other people about your drinking has no bearing. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, you do - nothing anyone else can say or do will change that.

I would suggest you look at the actual facts and make a decision base on those. Go back and read some of the threads you have posted here over the past year and all of the problems alcohol has cause you during that time.

If you do decide that staying sober is your goal, there will need to be many changes that will not be comfortable for you. But really - how comfortable are you now dealing with the albatross of fighting alcohol hanging around you neck?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my opinion, there is no reason at all to convince anyone that you want/need to stop drinking.

Do what is the right thing for you.