Notices

Drinking made me loose my inhibitions

Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Drinking made me loose my inhibitions

When I was younger I went to party. Of course we all wanted to fit in. You wanted to drink with your friends party all night. I lost my inhibition by going with a guy I thought he was for the party but after the fact after he raped me know one new him. I am lucky I didn't get pregnant and still a live of today.

I wanted to share that, sometimes it comes up once in a blue and I am not a shame to tell you it now.
Now I am sober, sometime I will share this to my daughter and hope she will never have to go through this.

Why drinking made u loose your inhibitions?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry that happened to you Jen.

These days I tend to think of my inhibitions are very good things.

My common sense is wrapped up in my natural inhibitions and my common sense tells me when something's off.

I can have fun as much as I always did but I know the parameters of 'having fun' a lot more clearly now.

D
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that happened to you!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that. I partied heavily from 18 until about 28. I didn't think we were having fun unless we were drunk. So sad.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry that happened to you.
Alcohol does a great job of reducing our inhibitions and it is unfortunate in this case but that is about him being a awful human being, not your relaxed inhibitions...I hope you are okay and I hope he gets what he deserves.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry that happened to you. No one should take advantage of someone like that. My friend got raped when she was drunk one night. I am lucky I wasn't taken advantage of, with all the times I went out to bars and got so wasted, its a miracle. I went home with people all the time. These people could have been serial killers for all I knew. I was so stupid.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very sorry that happened to you Jen.

I also lose my inhibitions when I drink. It's like I knew what I'm doing was wrong, but it's just that I no longer cared. I always cared the next morning, though. Thank God those days are over.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

drinking certainly placed me in situations that I most definitely would not have found myself in had I been sober. Dangerous ones, ones that I know I am lucky to be here today b/c it could have ended very badly.
It's taken a long time to try and come to terms with some of the stuff that happened. I'm pretty sure some of it, I will never really reconcile.
I consider myself pretty intelligent and know better, however, throw some wine into the mix and all that went out the window.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am very sorry about that experience, Jen. Alcohol loosens inhibitions because it interferes with parts of our brain that regulate inhibitory control and rational judgment.

I also had a somewhat similar experience when I wasn't even 14 yo; it was long before I developed a problem with alcohol. I wold not call it rape, but I doubt that I would have done it fully sober. It was very messy and had consequences I definitely did not think of or expect while in the middle of it. Just disappeared with my best girl friend and these two guys (near strangers) for two days. Our parents were sick with worry, they even called the police to report us missing. Part of those two days we spent at one of the guys' place, who lived with his alcoholic mother. The mother (drunk) was yelling all sorts of nasty things half of the night at his son from the other room. I never met an alcoholic or addict before that experience. Yeah, I was also lucky for not getting pregnant, and so was my friend. Also lucky that I did not react to it with being traumatized by it (not that I am aware of anyway) given how chaotic and crazy event it was and how young I was.

Good news is, there won't be anything like that again if we stay sober
Old 03-06-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Similar thing happened to me. I don't know if I got blackout drunk or if I was ruffied... I was 21. It was violent (from the injuries I had the next day but I don't remember a thing, not sure if that is good or bad). I had to get the morning after pill because I wasn't going to risk getting pregnant from that. It was horrendous! The worst part is that I had to see the people who were at the party for the next couple years, it was in college. Tried to bury it but that didn't work. When I started my sobriety journey I had to get that out. I did and now I feel empowered. We are not victims, we are survivors. I blamed myself for putting myself in that situation and I blamed the alcohol...

Having my daughter really made me feel the urge to deal with this part of my past, and I am definitely telling her when she is old enough so that it doesn't happen to her.

I never reported it. I was embarrased and felt it was my fault. Now I regret that but since I can't change it I don't dwell on it anymore. What purpose does that serve? Nothing! This happens a lot and no one speaks of it... We need to change that culture and I plan to do so by telling my daughter.

I'm with you sistah!!! We are not bound by our past, in fact, it makes us stronger!!!

Hear us ROAR!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Jen....I'm so sorry that happened to you. Drinking made me let loose and become more of the life of the party. I'm an introvert by nature, so this helped with being more social in large gatherings.