I reached out

Old 03-05-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I reached out

It has been almost four months of inhibition. I said on here I would contact an attorney. I simply could not. It was embarrassing for me I could not.

But I kept researching.

Last week, I found a non-profit law firm (it was right in front of my nose, having its office located at our county building). So, I filled out and submitted an application to see if I qualify for lower costs. They also offer legal advice . . . so . . . there is really nothing to lose.

Of course, you can guess that there was the final drop in my codependent glass. What happened is that I turned 35. And at one point, you start thinking about your life. Your future. And thinking about your past and marriage. And then you ask yourself, Have I lived a lie for the past 10 years? Well, maybe not a lie, but definitely lived in a denial.

But then you reach one snapping moment, you literary hear a tiny little twig go 'snap' in your head. And you decide to move on. You hear lots of pathetic whining and quacking from your alcoholic spouse, but it does not affect you. You know it is all crazy making. You know that there is a life out there that you deserve, that it is worth fighting for.

I should get a reply in two business days. So, this Monday might be the best Monday of all Mondays.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Well done HA, it takes courage to reach out, but you found it! It won't be so hard next time.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you for taking that first step! Hope they are able to help you or at least point you where you can get help.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I hope that too, tigerlili.

Can hardly wait for their reply.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was 36 and married 9 years when the twig went "snap" and it was crystal clear in my first marriage. I can relate so well!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! There was a defining moment when I said "no more" and picked up the phone and called for an appointment with my attorney. My life started getting better at that moment. If you were here I would give you a hug.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yay for you! That is very very good news! Once you start down the road of doing things for yourself it gets a lot easier. Tight hugs, and Happy Belated Birthday!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you!

An update:

It turns out, I did not have to wait till Monday! I received an email where they confirmed they got my application and told me to call them to verify info. And guess what? I did it! They said they were going to call me next week from the local office and let me know what kind of help is available. And the lady's voice on the other side of the line was, let's say, quite therapeutic.

So, no matter what this weekend brings, I have an important call to wait for.

Happy Friday!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very happy for you.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

YAY YAY YAY!!!!

Soooo happy to hear this! Have a great weekend!
XXX

Originally Posted by healthyagain View Post
Thank you!

An update:

It turns out, I did not have to wait till Monday! I received an email where they confirmed they got my application and told me to call them to verify info. And guess what? I did it! They said they were going to call me next week from the local office and let me know what kind of help is available. And the lady's voice on the other side of the line was, let's say, quite therapeutic.

So, no matter what this weekend brings, I have an important call to wait for.

Happy Friday!
Old 03-06-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Of course it's hard! Congratulations on taking one step at a time to get out of a terrible relationship. In alanon, I was taught to live in the solution (taking action), instead of staying stuck in the problem. A big hug!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support! And I am so happy I called that number today. See, I discovered seconds ago he kicked my family of his Facebook (kept only one cousin of mine, I have no idea why he kept her), but he does not know what I did today. And he does not know I am dead serious about this separation/divorce thingy.

As I said, this gonna be a great weekend. And I have my list of questions to ask when they do call.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah...He kicked me and all my family off his Facebook too. It's probably a good thing.

Last summer he got my goat with these sappy postings of sunsets and dialog about time coming to an end, and other such rubbish.

I decided to get even by copying and pasting his posts to my page.

My sisters called the local police department out of fear that I was suicidal. Two officers showed up at my door.

Then, my mate unfriended me because I was mocking him.