Notices

Statistics on Sobriety?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Statistics on Sobriety?

Is there a report somewhere that shows the statistics to success, and at which age, how many attempts, etc.. I'd be very interested to know the rates.

I know everyone is different, and environmental pressures affect people in different ways so it is difficult to quantify "success" as a measure of remaining sober, but it would be interesting to know if the medical community has actually pooled the data somewhere.

Certain answers to questions I'd like to know are;
1- What is the success rate per demographic (male/female)?
2- Same question, age group, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc..?
3- Quantity of drinking prior to "sobriety"?
4- Attempts at Sobriety prior to Success?
5- Length of drinking as an "Alcoholic" in the eyes of the medical field.?
6- Cold Turkey ~ success?
7- Sober Recovery ~ Success?
8- AA ~ Success?

I know in here we are a support group, and we all do our best to help, but it would be nice to know what the medical field thinks of us (in a way). Or if we can gauge the success rate (as an average) and see what we can do on a yearly basis to improve those numbers.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You arent a statistic. You are you! And that makes all the difference. That difference can be good or bad. That is up to you! Make it a good one.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The difficulty in a success rate for Sobriety, is that it would be very hard to measure those that go off and are never heard from again, even here on SR, the successes are well documented but sadly not many of those that fail or go back to drinking come back to say so!!

Statistics I think are always going to be lacking!! . . . if there even is such a thing!!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

it is 100% possible for you to get sober if you really want to. That is the only statistic that matters.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not allowed to post any outside links, so I can't reference what I writing.

90% percent of all alcoholic measured by the NIH will relapse within 4 years. Of those all but 37 percent will relapse in the first 90 days.

12 step programs boast around 5 to 30 percent rate. Even AA's internal numbers represent that. The number get a bit clouded because many show up for AA and never come back hence can't be tracked. Those that do show up and stay have a sobriety rate close to the 30% range. Additionally, many in AA don't use AA exclusively so they also fall into the rehab statistics. Overall, the number of people that stay sober with AA for a year sits at 5 percent, however, there is silver lining there to, because any drinking in AA is considered relapse so many have relapses but overall are mostly sober.

The amount of alcohol consumed does't necessarily reflect on the relapse rates. Moreover, some people seem more disposed to drinking ( any amount then others)

Rehab statistics range from 20 to 50 percent. However, again it depends on the person and their ability to perform within the program, lots drop out before ever giving it a chance. The numbers generally rely on those that have completed the program to fruition and their success over a year.

Don't believe, don't use Google, instead use peer reviewed studies found on EBSCO host, most libraries will freely grant access to EBSCO host.

I agree with other here sobriety is a personal choice, and if you choose to be sober you can be 100 percent sober. Hope this helps. Want more stats I can search them out?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thatdeliveryguy: wow you have some good stats there, thx. I'm not asking because im doubting im just curious more than anything. I like to apply statistics to lots of things and find i get enjoyment out if analysing them. Sports in general are tons of fun with stats, i thought it would be neat to see if we could apply them to ourselves. No harm intended really.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a numbers based guy, all those number came from EBSCO host. I searched " alcoholism recovery rates" " alcoholism", "12 step recovery rates". I would caution you though many, many alcoholics stop on there own and recover with no program. Not tracked meaning over all recovery is higher.

Additionally, there are contradictory statistics. after all they are number measured by man. They include different sub types and are taken from different pools of people. So these number can vary greatly and do study to study this is merely a cross section that I found in a cursory 10 minute search.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure you will ever find accurate statistics on alcoholism and recovery.

Since debates on Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum, it's best if you focus on your own recovery, and perhaps do some google searches on your own.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also good to keep in mind that relapsing is part of the recovery process for many people, so it may take a few tries to become 100% abstinent. The statistics may therefore reflect people coming in and out of the recovery world before they find a way to stay in for good.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would also be interested in reading the stats but agree it would be a challenge to get anything honestly accurate.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm just happy not to be a poor statistic today!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi.
Personally I’m more interested in long term recovery rates as so much of the public is mobile and or secretive regarding recovery.

I’ve been in AA about 38 years, attending about 14,000 meetings and have never been polled or know of anyone else that has.

I’ve read over the years that alcohol problem drinkers are about 20% in this country, what % of these millions seek any help or just stop drinking? I don’t know.

BE WELL
Old 03-05-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by happytobealive1 View Post
Also good to keep in mind that relapsing is part of the recovery process for many people
Drinking while you are in recovery is still drinking. It may happen while you are in recovery, but it is not "Part" of recovery, and it is not inevitable.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If there were such statistics I'm sure someone would challenge them

I'm of the belief the only stats that really matter to me are my own - 100% success since I started to give 100% effort

good to keep in mind that relapsing is part of the recovery process for many people
Everytime I hear that I think someone's AV wrote that line

relapse was part of my addiction...it was a sign that I wasn't quite achieving escape velocity from my addiction, and that I needed to do more.

Relapse is not a part of my recovery

D
Old 03-05-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Joe

I posted some stats on another post. However, I am not a big believer in stats as I have discovered that recovery is a spiritual process. How do you analyse your spiritual progress ?

Initially I did try a logical based recovery which proved to be a useless exercise. Recovery is all about emotions for me and the only way for me to address that is through spirituality. I grew up in a society that focused upon scientific rationality as the solution to all problems. However, it doesnt work in this instance as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

dont look at sobriety as a stat... its a journey and adventure you can find exciting things... i am learning that out right now...
Old 03-05-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The manipulation of statistical formulas is no substitute for knowing what one is doing
Old 03-05-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I don't give a rat's tail about most statistics, especially the ones related to "success rates".

I know my own abilities, what I can and can't do. I know what I believe to be possible and what I believe to be impossible.

That is all that matter's to me.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is my own personal observation/generalization but most that I have seen who drink HEAVILY (12+ drinks a night) and DAILY usually only pull that off for three-eight years. I mean rarely less than twelve units and never skipping days.

As I said, just an observation. I am aware of these people because that's how. Drank and my organs were inflamed after about six years. Not sure if the body could take any more!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

10 years of daily drinking seems to be a "ceiling" for many people too. Again, a very unscientific observation.